Why can't 'guests' view the site?

RS200

Yes, but if the current settings are maintained, the threads in question can't be brought up through Google either, giving undesirables less cause to sign up in the first place.

Kinda throwing the baby out with the bath water though, isn't it? It also prevents anyone with an interest in Renaults from discovering this site.

No it doesn't. The site is visible, but the contents of its pages are not. The home page makes it quite clear what the site is about. You must register to view content created and posted by members. Common practise for forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but if the current settings are maintained, the threads in question can't be brought up through Google either, giving undesirables less cause to sign up in the first place.

Kinda throwing the baby out with the bath water though, isn't it? It also prevents anyone with an interest in Renaults from discovering this site.

No it doesn't. The site is visible, but the contents of its pages are not. The home page makes it quite clear what the site is about. You must register to view content created and posted by members. Common practise for forums.

And this is what filters out all but the hardcore. Casual users/viewers can't be bothered registering and click out and head over to 197.net where these restrictions are not in place.

Well, Yes and No.

OzRS is what it is, and has been shaped the way it is over a number of years by people poking at things they didn't like, or saw potential for improvement with.

Security by obfuscation is no security at all (at its strongest it's still very weak), so I hear your point loud and clear, but still disagree with it.

One thing I appreciate about this place is that I know what I post is kept, to a large extent, to a small group of like minded enthusiasts. It's a private forum, and I like that. It means that I view this forum as I would a conversation with friends & family in a restaurant. I can be more open here as a result, and share far more of my automotive trials and tribulations than I would otherwise.

I acted like a "douche" ...

And continue to do so...

The arrogance and hysteria in your posts amaze me.

We disagree on a topic. If I don't share your opinion there's no reason for you to get so hot and bothered about it. The overwhelming majority wish for the forum to remain private whilst you continue to mention Clio197.net as your point of reference.

And this is what filters out all but the hardcore. Casual users/viewers can't be bothered registering and click out and head over to 197.net where these restrictions are not in place.

Again, they're problem, not ours. Registration is a simple process. I question their motivation if they can't be bothered registering to view content.

Fellas, enough. You're not going to convert each other, and we can all see you don't agree.

I agree. I offered an explanation as to my reasoning and admission that I acted a certain way but have nothing more to say. Quoting me with nothing more to say but "you still are" is inflammatory and adds nothing to discussion.

Consider me done on the topic.

I think it's fair to say that the OZRS community is a fairly healthy and jovial kind of forum. Some of us on here have made some pretty good friendships, and a lot of us actually know each other outside of the forum too. I don't get involved in too many forums, but this has to be the only forum where I have actually met people in person within it. Any other forum I have ventured into which is public I am reluctant to post anything that may be personal and certainly don't want others to know too much about me. I just don't feel the need to expose myself to the entire world with certain details. I don't think that's paranoia. I think it's how most people tend to want to be. And i'm not saying there is anything wrong with some of us wanting to have any information we type exposed to the world. That is their preference.

I have noticed members on here can give each other ribbings and talk about their weekends and details that general only people who know each other well tend to talk about. That is what I sense from the posts I read.

I think most of that comes from the fact that the forum is on the slightly exclusive side by actually being slightly private and not easily accessible publicly with just a click of a mouse with a Google search.

If it wasn't for the privacy settings, I don't think it would be the community it is, and I believe it would be a much shallower forum. In actual fact if it was a public forum I probably wouldn't say half the things and stories I have written. I would venture in, get straight to the point, sift out the information (or as some might say, 'sift out the bullsh*t') I need and get the heck out, just like I have done on every other public forum.

I wouldn't say i'm heavily involved in this forum. But I can tell from others posts that there are some very personal friendships going on with people who hang out with each other regularly outside the forum. Some of you are quite close. I don't recall seeing that on any other forum/website in my personal experience.

I like it the way it is.

No problem guys. I'm not making demands here, just stating a point of view. Nothing's going to change anything anyway, so no one needs to be worried that the sky is going to fall on their heads.

Monty, you made unnecessary and irrelevant personal attacks on me and your tone was arrogant and rude, that was my beef. It's really pathetic that you feel the need to hide behind a forum and act all macho.

Monty, you made unnecessary and irrelevant personal attacks on me and your tone was arrogant and rude, that was my beef. It's really pathetic that you feel the need to hide behind a forum and act all macho.

I said if you don't like it leave. That was it. If you want the last word, it's yours.

I said if you don't like it leave. That was it. If you want the last word, it's yours.

Ding ding ! Touch gloves. 12th and final round ! :popcorn::D

Ding ding ! Touch gloves. 12th and final round ! :popcorn::D

We're done. As posted prior. Sorry to disappoint. :P