New 172

Agger5

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Agger, glad you're enjoying the car.

Seems like you understand that to keep these things nice and reliable you shouldn't mod them too much!

I'm a little confused though as further up the page you said you'd look into air box and brakes, not suspension mods and then a few posts down you said you want to change your suspension?

There're a lot of tried and tested paths to go down, just have a look through the Clio II mods thread.

I'd read saner88's stuff closely as he's recently been through all of the research and knows what he's talking about. Also, have a look for member "levnentis'" intake mod which he copied from the latest K-Tec Racing design.

The 172 suspension is perfectly fine until you start heavy track work or high kms wear things out, neither of which look like a problem for you. A set of Eibach springs will give you a better stance but also make the ride more harsh.

I'm also happy to meet up for you to check out my modded 172 (though it's all track biased) but you can at least see how an exhaust sounds, coilovers feel etc.

Good luck and enjoy 8)

I'm tossing and turning with the suspension, at times want to change it for a better stance but at times I think if I put on a decent pair of rims it'll fill the guards a tad more and give it a nicer stance, the handling is great as is.

All mods I am simply enquiring, I'd rather prolong the life of the car then spend 5k fixing it up after its f**ked, however I wouldn't be shy of researching air intakes etc just to see how it'd sound, as mentioned however id be more happy knowing I can run it at the same price as a normal car.

Id love to meet up, where you from ?

I'm in Balmain - will try to organise something for next weekend for people to collect stickers etc!

You worry too much about breaking it. If you warm it up properly, get it serviced appropriately you shouldn't have a problem. Me and lots of other people regularly track these cars (ie get as close to redline as possible multiple times in a lap) without issues. Mine has about the same k's as yours but has been around Mt Panorama flat out over Easter for the last three years without catastrophic engine failure.

As far as I know the only engine failures have been down to the timing belt which you've replaced so, as long as they've done it right, you shouldn't have a problem.

Only other advice I would give is to keep an eye on the gearbox oil levels - they are known to leak and this could be an issue. Mine does but I make sure to keep it topped up so it shouldn't be a problem.

172 clutch is heavier than 182 from factory

Mine was the opposite. 182 was definitely heavier.

So what does this mean? 182 clutch was changed somewhere along the line?

182 had a new clutch cable design which improved the action and made it lighter.

Thanks walkie.

Hmmm.....so I suppose that means the 182 clutch had been changed or modified (?) by the previous owner, because my current 172 is definitely lighter?

Did you own your 182 from new? If not it may have been the way the previous owner used the car. Teki's 182 had the heaviest Clio clutch I've ever felt. He used it for real estate so stop/start, parking etc 100 times a day for 3 years. My 172 clutch was much lighter than his.

Thanks walkie.

Hmmm.....so I suppose that means the 182 clutch had been changed or modified (?) by the previous owner, because my current 172 is definitely lighter?

Did you own your 182 from new? If not it may have been the way the previous owner used the car. Teki's 182 had the heaviest Clio clutch I've ever felt. He used it for real estate so stop/start, parking etc 100 times a day for 3 years. My 172 clutch was much lighter than his.

Exactly, it's friction on the cable (wear and tear) and maintenance.

No, I bought it when it was 3 years old, and the previous owner was a guy called "Joey" from Sydney who you may know (was a regular on this forum)......enough said?

Yes....I know he drove the car hard as evidenced by the number of warranty claims made so early on (twice the gearbox synchros fixed), but the car was fine for me, no problems at all. I suppose this may have had something to do with the stiff clutch pedal.....

No, I bought it when it was 3 years old, and the previous owner was a guy called "Joey" from Sydney who you may know (was a regular on this forum)......enough said?

Yes....I know he drove the car hard as evidenced by the number of warranty claims made so early on (twice the gearbox synchros fixed), but the car was fine for me, no problems at all. I suppose this may have had something to do with the stiff clutch pedal.....

Surprising I didn't think he used the clutch? :)

This Sunday? I might organise a sticker collection meet in/near Balmain 8)

EDIT: check the social section

I'm I Croydon Park too :headbang: ..

Hopefully meeting Alex (walkie) next weekend to get my stickers and to check out the silver bullet 8)..

Is yours the back one on Brighton avenue? If it is, love it!

Correct, still have to do some work to it iv been lazy :D. the LY R26 hangs there too some weekends :)

Just fitted them yesterday 8). Where are you CP or campse.. Are you getting round to the sticker collection tomorrow in Balmain?

Probably very hard to diagnose via a post on the forum, but has anyone else had a 172 that makes a weird popping noise in first? Usually happens at low revs/take off, sometimes into second, very quick, maybe 2-3 clunks then it's gone. Kinda feels like its coming from the left side of the car. Few people have told me its because I'm stilling learning to take off properly in a sports car etc. I doubt it's engine mounts, I just had them changed with the belt.

My 182 made the clunky ABS noise on take off (one clunk only).

My Megane makes a series of clunks on take off (again the ABS system), but my 172 doesn't make any noise.

Strange they are all different...

I've left it overnight, should have it back tommorow arvo, made the decision to let the mechanic do the selection.

Such a stressful day, these cars are so hard to depart from, it literally made me upset knowing there was something wrong with it.

According to my mechanic , unless we strip it (not worth labour money as the knocking sound is very feint and occasional) it will be hard to locate. He had it on the hoist today, said it looked fine, and the gearbox was ok thus far. The sound is coming from the floor of the passenger seat, so he checked under that.

He's doing air filter, fuel filter and spark plugs for me- doubt I can feel the difference when all these parts are changed, but there's no harm in regularly servicing the car I guess.

Hey guys,

Anybody know where I can get some Renault sport badges? Mine need some for the back- its only got the clio badge.

Any place in Sydney? Or even online?

eBay is your friend! Massive range on there and it be an opportunity to upgrade to the latest style Renault sport badges found on the 265/200's

Hey guys,

Anybody know where I can get some Renault sport badges? Mine need some for the back- its only got the clio badge.

Any place in Sydney? Or even online?

eBay is your friend! Massive range on there and it be an opportunity to upgrade to the latest style Renault sport badges found on the 265/200's

Is there anything in specific to search fo man?

I typed in Renault Sport badge, 172 cup bade- can't find any:(