New 172

Agger5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey lads,

Sorry for being inactive, have had my plate full.

The engine mounts were found to be buckled and a few tensioners needed to be replaced. With the belt, cost $1700 (f**king hurt)...

I serviced it tonight :)

Question. Last few days I've had it, I can't help but open her up. I'm a bitch of a driver and hate doing it to cars... Is it bad for my baby? I usually drive it like a granny, but I can't help it at times.

Hey lads,

Sorry for being inactive, have had my plate full.

The engine mounts were found to be buckled and a few tensioners needed to be replaced. With the belt, cost $1700 (f**king hurt)...

I serviced it tonight :)

Question. Last few days I've had it, I can't help but open her up. I'm a bitch of a driver and hate doing it to cars... Is it bad for my baby? I usually drive it like a granny, but I can't help it at times.

For the joy of having an RS it's worth it.

Where did you take it?

As for opening up - if serviced on time and looked after should be oaky.

Obviously wait untill it's warm :wink:

You can see how many Ozrs track them and they still go strong 8)

I will be changing both timing and accessories belt on my 172 myself, i am always of the perception people always take things for being harder than they really are, if you have the proper tools you shouldn't cock it up!

A word of caution, mate.

I've spoken to Paul V about DIY timing belt changes and he explained that it's not a straight forward swap, even with all the right tools. I for one am not keen to dispute what he says.

Find a renault capable mechanic who will let you BYO parts and provide labour only - I did that and it saved me over $500 compared to local renault prices. I got genuine renault kits through Wolf.

I need some advice driving it. I just got done off the line by a SSS Pulsar. I'm way too scared to rev it past 5-6rpm, the fear of blowing the gear box or clutch makes me ill!

I find it's not an easy car to get off the line cleanly. But that doesn't really matter. Straight line is adequate but you'll kill them around the corners.

I got my parts at cost price (200 for belt, 100 for pump)

Only got charged labour. Saved me a tonne.

I need some advice driving it. I just got done off the line by a SSS Pulsar. I'm way too scared to rev it past 5-6rpm, the fear of blowing the gear box or clutch makes me ill!

Mind pming me with details or where you got belt etc? Was that a kit with tensionerd etc?

Something definitely wrong if a SSS beat you! Should be able to keep them behind you pretty easily!

I got my parts at cost price (200 for belt, 100 for pump)

Only got charged labour. Saved me a tonne.

Mind pming me with details or where you got belt etc? Was that a kit with tensionerd etc?

Something definitely wrong if a SSS beat you! Should be able to keep them behind you pretty easily!

Yeah that was with a kit tensioner.

He fixed up the engine mounts too for me too, that's why it went to 1700.

Belt and water pump was around 1k.

I've been driving manual for 2 weeks now man... I know my car is quicker then a SSS, I just don't know how to drive it yet. The engine is fine, and insanely powerful for a little car.

What's the fascination with straight line stuff? Not that you should be racing anyone anyway. Enjoy the car for what it's good at - corners, as you say. It's quick enough in a straight line when you need it to be. It almost always feels quicker than it actually is to me but that's half the appeal - you don't need to be doing silly things and getting the wrong sort of attention to be having fun in these cars. And that's the main reason why I bought one (OK, that and I can't afford an M3).

Cayman driver at Queensland Raceway noted how much poke the 182 had down the straights, while I was losing ground he was really only seriously pulling away over 140km/h. They definitely aren't slow, and they are definitely quicker than an XR4.

I can hardly pull away at the lights faster than mums in corollas, let alone launch the damn thing.

Guys don't get me wrong, I hardly drive the thing hard, it's my 3rd week of owning it, im still figuring out what it's good at, and so far I've realized it's not straight line- that's all.

I've been treating the car quite well actually, driving it mostly on weekends at the moment, and it's a thrill, I'll tell you that much.

I am in no way giving the car or it's drivers a bad name- a cruise up to the coast with a few spurts and a few hard cornering when needed is all.

I'm not a drag racer guys, I'm a nerd English teacher and this is my first sports car!

Perhaps I have come across as a lead foot hot head- not the case at all guys, my other car is a BA xr6 used with the partner, I'm still quite young and haven't had many cars, so I am very gentle with this.

I am simply discovering its limitations and What she is capable of, whilst sharing it with you guys in hopes of opinions/stories etc.

I took her to palm beach and then up the coast- she loved the bends, I discovered that about the model and gave it around the corners, was amazing fun. I have only realy planted it off the line against other cars 4-5 times- I don't spend my evenings drag racing with Vin Diseal, honest :)

@ Agger5

I'm a lot like yourself. Was also nerd teacher many years ago. Scared to drive it hard thinking something will break.

It's either in you or it's not. I can't drive a car hard all the time. My cars have all been looked after....never had any real problems with them and when I sold them the first person who came to look bought them. But one hard burst each time I drive is enough for me.

As for straight line speed....being a manual means you will always take off slower than an auto. Make no mistake about it, these cars are not slow and it's when you get the revs up that they really take off. I had a 182 and no doubt it was quicker than my current 172 which also has a lot more k's.....but the 172 is still terrific.

Maybe it's a PAO thing.....an inferiority complex because we're going so sh*t this year :)

I think we get it now, your not that certain type of idiot....i still find it hard to believe that you lost to an xr4 however haha!

I honestly did haha. This is the first manual car I've owned. I can't believe how heavy the clutch is! I can't get it to take off proper and I dont wanna try! I'm an embarrassment I know.

@ Agger5

I'm a lot like yourself. Was also nerd teacher many years ago. Scared to drive it hard thinking something will break.

It's either in you or it's not. I can't drive a car hard all the time. My cars have all been looked after....never had any real problems with them and when I sold them the first person who came to look bought them. But one hard burst each time I drive is enough for me.

As for straight line speed....being a manual means you will always take off slower than an auto. Make no mistake about it, these cars are not slow and it's when you get the revs up that they really take off. I had a 182 and no doubt it was quicker than my current 172 which also has a lot more k's.....but the 172 is still terrific.

Maybe it's a PAO thing.....an inferiority complex because we're going so sh*t this year :)

Summons me up as accurately as possible.

It's just not in me to want to thrash it. Id rather the knowledge of knowing it can, rather then doing it every time. One burst in first and second as all I do when I drive, after I get that feeling, I'm happy.

As for PAO, just try to take comfort knowing AEK is below us haha, apart from that, one win out of four is making Champions League look impossible.. Meanwhile across the pond Liverpool

Still haven't won.

The Clio is a pig in a straight line if you can't launch it properly, but if you do... it'll surprise many things. And they're quick enough in a straight line up to ~140. I've had more than a few V8 Commodore drivers going wtf :P

I'm sure you just need more practice at manual is all as its clear you are not all that used to it yet, once you "understand" the relationship between the clutch,foot and brain you will be able to launch easily without putting too much stress through the drive-line if that's your thing. As for the heavy clutch comment.........LOL if you think its heavy and has a narrow engagement band you haven't driven a car with a heavy clutch yet!

It's all practice really.

My 182 had a fairly heavy clutch, a bit of a nuisance in stop-start traffic but you get used to it.

The 172 is definitely lighter, I don't really notice the heaviness at all. The 225 is lighter again....but in saying that it's probably more difficult to take off in than the Clio.

I've driven manuals all my life, and each Renault I've owned I've stalled a couple of times when not concentrating :oops: these things happen...

I'm sure you just need more practice at manual is all as its clear you are not all that used to it yet, once you "understand" the relationship between the clutch,foot and brain you will be able to launch easily without putting too much stress through the drive-line if that's your thing. As for the heavy clutch comment.........LOL if you think its heavy and has a narrow engagement band you haven't driven a car with a heavy clutch yet!

Agreed- at the moment I ride the clutch as I don't have the friction point down pact yet, however I have learnt little things like how to hill start etc and how the car likes it. Its all an experience for me. I know you may laugh at the clutch comment but I learnt manual on my mums Yaris, the 172 is so much heavier compared to that.

From experience however, and this is for everyone, what are some driving tips in terms of prolonging the motor and keeping it as reliable as possible? First time European car owner and I hate the stigma attached. The engine is young , 77,000 Kay's, and I've done the belt and pump, I want to keep this running as long as I can. As you all know I hate thrashing it- not to say I don't plant it, I do, every time I drive, the pull in first and second is scary for such a small car- I understand why you guys said I'd fall in love with it.

Also, does this forum have a mods section for newbies ? Down the track (6-7 months) I'd like to change it up a bit, however I have heard these cars work better leaving the motor as stock- be that as it may any advice would be great- id like to possibly change the air intake on it and possibly upgrade to some better brakes. I love the suspension as is.

And also, please don't crucify me for being a newbie, you have all been great thus far, but do all clio's feel like the dash has been ejaculated on? Sticky as.

Agreed- at the moment I ride the clutch as I don't have the friction point down pact yet, however I have learnt little things like how to hill start etc and how the car likes it. Its all an experience for me. I know you may laugh at the clutch comment but I learnt manual on my mums Yaris, the 172 is so much heavier compared to that.

From experience however, and this is for everyone, what are some driving tips in terms of prolonging the motor and keeping it as reliable as possible? First time European car owner and I hate the stigma attached. The engine is young , 77,000 Kay's, and I've done the belt and pump, I want to keep this running as long as I can. As you all know I hate thrashing it- not to say I don't plant it, I do, every time I drive, the pull in first and second is scary for such a small car- I understand why you guys said I'd fall in love with it.

Also, does this forum have a mods section for newbies ? Down the track (6-7 months) I'd like to change it up a bit, however I have heard these cars work better leaving the motor as stock- be that as it may any advice would be great- id like to possibly change the air intake on it and possibly upgrade to some better brakes. I love the suspension as is.

And also, please don't crucify me for being a newbie, you have all been great thus far, but do all clio's feel like the dash has been ejaculated on? Sticky as.

Hahaha nice description, if a little disturbing haha. The centre section that surrounds the climate controls/stereo and clock etc is sticky in mine as well, I've found a damp chamois is the best method of cleaning it, also the door pockets with the power window switch surrounds are same material.. I've seen threads on here and CS.net about rubbing the sticky/rubbery finish off, or covering it with vinyl. My biggest gripe with it is it scratches so damn easily.

As far as mods go the main ones seem to be a decent panel filter, remove side air feed for noise if that's your thing, exhaust, eibach springs or coilovers and of course RSTuner..

My aim with this car is to not change too much, enjoy it for what it is and keep it reliable. In the past I've modified cars and changed everything about their steering, suspension, exhaust etc and you end up with a car that's more and more trouble and less driveable than when you started! With the Clio I think it really is a case of KeepItSimpleStupid!

The stigma is somewhat untrue, just look at Matt205's 172 aka "Dimples" - 260,000 Km and still going strong. Just service it regularly and it'll be fine.

Hahaha nice description, if a little disturbing haha. The centre section that surrounds the climate controls/stereo and clock etc is sticky in mine as well, I've found a damp chamois is the best method of cleaning it, also the door pockets with the power window switch surrounds are same material.. I've seen threads on here and CS.net about rubbing the sticky/rubbery finish off, or covering it with vinyl. My biggest gripe with it is it scratches so damn easily.

As far as mods go the main ones seem to be a decent panel filter, remove side air feed for noise if that's your thing, exhaust, eibach springs or coilovers and of course RSTuner..

My aim with this car is to not change too much, enjoy it for what it is and keep it reliable. In the past I've modified cars and changed everything about their steering, suspension, exhaust etc and you end up with a car that's more and more trouble and less driveable than when you started! With the Clio I think it really is a case of KeepItSimpleStupid!

Here here! I really do want to keep it stock, maybe change the suspension. Need to fix up a few little things, I think the power steering is going- it make a weird windy noise when you turn/drive in first and second. Could be the engine, but it's more prominent when your driving slowly , I.e round abouts etc.

I'm all for KISS- I want to keep it stock as enjoy it.

I can't afford to put 5k on it to repair it and I love it already too much to sell it. Belts done which is great, and I just changed the oil and filter. Plugs going in next week as well as air filter.

I'll try the chamois man, and I'll post pictures up too.

My power steering is loud as anything also. Paul V ran a treatment through the system then dismantled cleaned and re treated and it quietened it for a while but it's still making a lot of noise, exactly how you described yours.

Let me know if you ever want to meet up and check different mods, I've done panel filter, exhaust, removed side feed and I have eibachs and a white line rear sway bar. So you can compare difference..

Hey Agger, glad you're enjoying the car.

Seems like you understand that to keep these things nice and reliable you shouldn't mod them too much!

I'm a little confused though as further up the page you said you'd look into air box and brakes, not suspension mods and then a few posts down you said you want to change your suspension?

There're a lot of tried and tested paths to go down, just have a look through the Clio II mods thread.

I'd read saner88's stuff closely as he's recently been through all of the research and knows what he's talking about. Also, have a look for member "levnentis'" intake mod which he copied from the latest K-Tec Racing design.

The 172 suspension is perfectly fine until you start heavy track work or high kms wear things out, neither of which look like a problem for you. A set of Eibach springs will give you a better stance but also make the ride more harsh.

I'm also happy to meet up for you to check out my modded 172 (though it's all track biased) but you can at least see how an exhaust sounds, coilovers feel etc.

Good luck and enjoy 8)