rs 265 engine failure

two65r

Hi all

This is the 1 st forum i have ever been on.

I bought a gorgeous rs265 trophy recently . Options - 19's , leather Recaros etc etc.

In the past i have been getting my performance fix from motorcycles. having bought this car im thinking about giving the motorcycles away ....this liittle car is dynamite ....... well yesterday it literally was dynamite . My engine exploded ...... conrod through the block !!!!

The car only has 5000k's on it. Oils regularly checked & it has zero engine mods .

The qusetion i need to ask is if anybody has ever heard of anything like this happenning to any rs meganes ?

A few different people have told me that it happened on a WhEELS Magazine test day at eastern Creek .

You'd only be the 2nd car I've heard about after the Wheels one. That turned out to be oil starvation (probably because they never checked before thrashing it).

So what were you doing exactly when it failed... there's not many things that will throw a rod through the block.

What sort of loads was the car at when it happened??

You mention you get ur performance fix from motorbikes.. You know that the megane cant rev to 18K rpm right?? :P

But in all seriousness, sounds rather unlucky, I assume warranty will cover it and you'll soon be on the road again!

Welcome to the forum and such incredible bad luck for that to happen to your dream car...

There are a few bikers here too so check out our motorcycle discussions in the Lounge section of the index mate.

Hope it's fitted with a new engine for you very soon.

thanks for the support & empathy guys .Im hoping that Renault dont bust my chops too hard on this issue.

I bought the car with 1600ks on it. The Principal of the dealership had it as his personal car so I imagine the run in was done as it should be & the oils were changed at 1000ks.

I feel abbsolutely gutted at what has happenned & i feel sick about it .

Tommo , in answer to your question , downhill twisties accelarating hard . I have been doing the same run since i bought the car at the end of Jan'.

Anyway, Renault will collecting the car today & we will how this will unfold . I will post updates as they come to hand .

Don't worry mate, they will do everything in their power to look after you.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Just a quick update ........of sorts

Renault sent a tilt tray tow truck around to mine to collect my car & £%#¥ me the tow truck lift mechanism sh*t itself.

!!

Fingers crossed they send one tomorrow that works .

They couldn't find another tow truck?? Do they loan you a car in the interim?

Hope they resolve it promptly.

Due to the fact it was twisty may it have been oil surge/starvation. Does the megane have a baffled sump?

Would be surprised if it didn't. Clio II does.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hey , in response to baffled sump ..I dont know . one would assume so. The car is marketed as a Performance Hot Hatch etc . With the fantastic chassis this car has, not having a baffled sump would be an engineering oversight !

As for sending another tow truck it was late in the day .

Once I do finally have the car looked at I will assume that they supply me with a loan car. If they dont I will be definately be expressing myself.

An over-rev would have to be on a downshift and it would have to be a monumental to cause a massive issue like this. You'd have to get it in fist while you where trying for 3rd for instance and be well up it. Even then I suspect warranty will not be an issue. The first batch of of M3 E46's had a number of engine blow-ups, I know of one that happened on day 1 of the GP rally in maybe 2002 at Winton, BMW sent a truck and replaced the engine no questions asked.

My only piece of advice would be to ignore it if the Service manager gives you grief and asks stupid questions like "where you racing?", it's not their call, nor is it any of their business. If there's any questions, issues, hassles take it straight to Renault Australia and deal directly with them. Service Managers can be funny people, often making accusations that are irrelevant, it can be almost like it's their toy and you broke it.

Service Managers can be funny people, often making accusations that are irrelevant, it can be almost like it's their toy and you broke it.
This. I got it from a Ford dealership for stability control error codes in our Focus - "what were you doing to activate the stability control?" "are you driving it on dirt roads?" and other stupid questions. Turned out to be a failed wheel bearing.

This. I got it from a Ford dealership for stability control error codes in our Focus - "what were you doing to activate the stability control?" "are you driving it on dirt roads?" and other stupid questions. Turned out to be a failed wheel bearing.

LOL ... yeah, I had my mate Ken Block over and we were drivin' the Focus (he's got one too) on dirt roads, then we just started to get these funny error messages. hahahahaha

I spoke with the service manager today & asked him what steps are now taken he replied with " we will have to get it up on the hoist & have a look at what the problem is ". My response was if you take a look at the conrod & the other bits of broken engine parts I've left on the front seat you will get some kind of indication what the problem is !!! He was not committal on few questions I asked him which is fair enough. He will present his report to Renault Aust' & I guess we will go from there.

I have been contacted by a journo' from one of the motor mags' who was told about my situation with the car by a friend of mine . He wants to write a piece on the situation. I have told that if things happen to bog down with Renault I will have a chat with. Obviously I want Renault to make good on my warranty claim as well as providing me with a similar car until mine is back on the road again ( I missing it so much already & it's only been 4 days !).

I will post again after I speak with Renault again.

Cheers

I spoke with the service manager today & asked him what steps are now taken he replied with " we will have to get it up on the hoist & have a look at what the problem is ". My response was if you take a look at the conrod & the other bits of broken engine parts I've left on the front seat you will get some kind of indication what the problem is !!! He was not committal on few questions I asked him which is fair enough. He will present his report to Renault Aust' & I guess we will go from there.

I have been contacted by a journo' from one of the motor mags' who was told about my situation with the car by a friend of mine . He wants to write a piece on the situation. I have told that if things happen to bog down with Renault I will have a chat with. Obviously I want Renault to make good on my warranty claim as well as providing me with a similar car until mine is back on the road again ( I missing it so much already & it's only been 4 days !).

Cheers

Good luck mate, Wise decision to hold off on the journo until Renault have the chance to make things right. This service manager guy should be making this his number 1 priority though and supplying you with a car.

Cheers

Good luck mate, Wise decision to hold off on the journo until Renault have the chance to make things right. This service manager guy should be making this his number 1 priority though and supplying you with a car.

Agreed. I haven't met a single person that responds well to threats of exposure through journalism. Let then do their job. Everything had to go through due course. Well played on deciding not to react quickly and tell then all about it.

Cheers

First thing I'd do is tell the Journo's that they are NOT to write anything at all before Renault has figured out what has failed here. Renault is still on a knife edge in Australia, they are beginning to slowly gain respect from the ***knuckle falcadore driving hicks (clearly not all of them)who seem to get off on sticking the knife into anything French, Swedish or Italian.

Something like this would be all the ammunition they need to continue to support their bullsh*t views on Renaults falling to bits...

I don't mean to be a crusader, but it is unfair for MOTOR to say a thing until we know what went wrong... Somehow though, I think that they will.. I wish there was something that could be done on rubbish journalism of this sort of ilk. I didn't know that MOTOR and WHEELS had become the Today tonight's current affair of motoring literature..

Did I miss something. The op says he was contacted by 'one of the motor mags' ... not MOTOR mag.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

easy to assume it was MOTOR requesting details- they did after all destroy an engine recently, and will probably want to use the OP's situation to shift focus to 'typical French reliability', rather then car abuse they inflicted to cause the engine blowup.

First thing I'd do is tell the Journo's that they are NOT to write anything at all before Renault has figured out what has failed here. Renault is still on a knife edge in Australia, they are beginning to slowly gain respect from the ***knuckle falcadore driving hicks (clearly not all of them)who seem to get off on sticking the knife into anything French, Swedish or Italian.

Something like this would be all the ammunition they need to continue to support their bullsh*t views on Renaults falling to bits...

I don't mean to be a crusader, but it is unfair for MOTOR to say a thing until we know what went wrong... Somehow though, I think that they will.. I wish there was something that could be done on rubbish journalism of this sort of ilk. I didn't know that MOTOR and WHEELS had become the Today tonight's current affair of motoring literature..

Agree 100% on this.

I used to be one of those knuckle draggers and still have a soft spot for Fords.

But I managed to shrug off that judgement and haven't been happier the smile my 250 leaves on my face each and every time i drive is one thing i never had in abundance with my Xr6.

Best of luck mate and I hope you get your issues sorted ASAP.

as for that journo shame on him if he does not wait to get BOTH sides before writing his peice.

Although i gave up on reading any local car mags a LONG time ago....(Around the time i went looking for my perfect hot hatch :P )

Did I miss something. The op says he was contacted by 'one of the motor mags' ... not MOTOR mag.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

easy to assume it was MOTOR requesting details- they did after all destroy an engine recently, and will probably want to use the OP's situation to shift focus to 'typical French reliability', rather then car abuse they inflicted to cause the engine blowup.

Zactly my point.

They'll want to show everyone that it wasnt their maltreatment that blew up the meggy, just oh, the fact that Renaults are unreliable by nature.. Could be disastrous for the 250/265 rep if they take the ball and run with it..

Hey guys, just read through this whole thread and thought that if renault discovers there is some fault with the 265's and its the 2nd one to blow up shouldnt there be some kind of recall to see if other cars are at risk? Just my 2 cents.

2 out of how many globally...?

Hey all

Just a quick update. Renault looked at my car yesterday by a dealership Service Manager. He compiled a 'report'& sent it of to Renault. I waited most of the day for them to contact me however that did not eventuate. So I thought buggier this ! I took matters into my own hands & called Head Office myself. I spoke with a very very helpful lady named Vikki. What a gem ! By 5pm she had gotten onto the dealership from where I bought the car & she had arranged for me a car to collect on Sunday morning . I subsequently received a call from guy , Ben, who sold me the car.He was peeved that the the towing company contracted by Renault did not take it to Sydney City Renault instead they took it to a Dealership that was closer to my house. He suggested that things would have progressed a bit quicker.

Anyway , lets see how things unfold over the next week. Fingers crossed that they replace the engine & not just do a repair.

I'll keep you updated as things come to hand.

I have had no engine noises or issues with mine.

Good. Go drive it like it's meant to be driven then and stop worrying.

There's probably more to this story than we know so far. So keep the theories till we know all :)

Fingers crossed that they replace the engine & not just do a repair.

I'll keep you updated as things come to hand.

Good to hear you're getting some progress.

Pretty sure they won't try to repair a hole in the block - putty and speed-tape won't quite do the job on that!

Bozz

That's gold !!!

:lol: I hope I didn't come across as glib.

I was able to start the engine and watch the conrod move in and out of a hole in the side of the block of a VH commodore engine (186) after some idiots stole my car and did donuts in a paddock 'til it stopped.

I chose not to drive it home :wink:

Definitely not repairable!