Migrating from WRX...

RS-225

Hi all!

Start by introducing myself, i'm Anthony, live out in the eastern suburb of Donvale...

Had a Classic MY98 WRX for a bit over 2.5 years now, see below...

dsc05019p.jpg

dsc05016cc.jpg

But due to a relatively new job involving driving to Southbank and back everyday (car was a weekend/occasional driver due to taking transport), i'm looking for something euro and bit more 'refined' you could say...plus time for a change!

Honestly I'm still deciding between a VW GTI DSG and a Renault Sport Megane 225 Cup at the moment, leaning towards the 225 due to the rarity and imho value for money with what you are getting...as with the GTI - a) they're everywhere, despite the DSG being an awesome bit of kit and b) your lucky to find a decent one with all options such as those included standard on the 225.

One thing i'm trying to confirm with the Megane is when the major service is due? I've heard around 3-4years or 60,000km, and costs between $1,000-1,500 - happy to be corrected! Along with any other tips, things to look for. I hear the Brembo front disk replacement is in the tune of $5k or something rediculous? And engine mounts are plastic and tend to go costing around $300? Any comments on know reliability of the RSM 225 would be great.

Not sure on how social the forum/club is, coming from WRX Club of Vic with quite a few crusies, dyno days, track days etc, hopefully meet some fellow members soon.

On a side note, late last night on my way home was driving next to a yellow R26 F1, damn they are a hot machine in person! :nod:

Cheers, anthony

Re: the disc was hoping that wasn't accurate! but have heard some disk cracking stories on some uk forum...

Driven both, however definitely wouldn't say i tested there limits and handling capabilities a great deal.

My quick review of them both:

VW: exterior nice, but v.common. interior, has good quality about it, & seating position, s/wheel etc. dsg is great, especially as a daily, have to love the note it has standard too. seems quite a bit 'softer' suspension wise than RSM. Brakes not even close to level provided by the 225's brembo's.

RSM: exterior very unique, looks awesome in person - much better than i thought from photo's and really grown on me. like the fact that there isn't much i'd want to do modding wise (besides exhaust, gps and a few custom touches tbc!) Suspension seems great, hard enough for a good spirited drive or light track work without being as bone-jarring as my rex with teins in it. Brakes seemed bloody awesome without really getting any real temperature or testing them out seriously. Not to mention price seems to be in favour of the RSM, with advantages of Xenons, leather standard and beautiful 18" wheels.

Welcome :)

Just a quick one about the brakes - my g/f has a 225 F1 Cup (has the Brembos etc) and was quoted about $1200 for the front pair of rotors & pads and about $1300 for the rear rotors & pads. Fronts should last about 60-70K depending on driving style, rears should last around 80K.

Cheers, Dish.

Meggy FTW.

The Golf doesn't even come close... Just ask 'benst' :mrgreen:

And the brakes are way cheaper than that...

Welcome to the forum mate, and hopefully we can convince you into a meggy :D

As for major servicing goes.

The belts are changed at the 100 000km or 4 year mark - so this will be the ball buster i spose

There is a sort of major one at 60 000km for the filters, spark plugs and stuff like that.

As for brakes. If you plan on doing track days, forget about the cross drilled, as you would be aware, they will crack after enough use. The solid brembos that come on the non cup meggy sports are about 160-200 per disc on the fronts, depending on how well the person look after you at the parts counter, and the oem pads are around the 200-250 mark per pair for the fronts. I'm not sure about the rear discs and pads, but they probably are about the same price, perhaps slightly more for the discs.

Cross drilled front rotors are closer to the 300 bucks per disc mark from memory - again you should be able to get them for less than that, unless the guy behind the counter tries to screw you.

engine mounts and injectors/coil packs are known to go on these occasionally, but i guess its luck of the draw with these things on the meggy.

i personally feel the meggy is quite a reliable car, you will get people who have their problems, then again so does any car make and any member of a car forum. As long as you treat the car nicely and proactive on servicing, it shouldn't cause any real headaches - you might get unlucky with engine mounts going or injector/coil packs need replacing, but as i said, really luck of the draw thing there.

It really is a great car. Easy to drive and cruisy in the city and on the highway. But when you need to give it some beans, it turns into something else. Handles great and the brakes are awesome - really nothing to change there. The cup suspension is firm, but not jarring in anyway, especially for a guy coming from teins :) .....clutch is pretty light and so is the gearbox, but smooth.

the phase 1 cups and non cup meggys come with funky orange seat belts too ........just a random thing i thought i'd throw out there :P

The only downside is probably the lack of local support for the meggy. Aftermarket parts in 95% of cases will have to come from the UK, but then again, not really that much you need to change on it :)

Goodluck, and hopefully we can help in some way.

WELCOME Anthony,

As long as you get rid of that WRX you are more then welcome to join the team :wink: jokes.....

Im pretty sure Brendan filled you in with ALL the facts....

I damaged my front rotors (cross drilled) and they cost me $310 each....

AND yes they do crack over time, and its common on ALL Meganes....

(viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12261)

If you plan to get the RS Megane CUP, then leave the standard discs or get in contact with "Wolf", (OZ Renault Sport member) and he can get you the R26-R slotted rotors for $340 each (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=12083).....

Standard pads are okay for everyday drive ($200-$250each) but if you plan to do track work then Ferodo DS2500 are the go...

You can get them from "ClioF1" (OZ Renault Sport member) for $295 a set (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=12131)......

A few of us had our Engine Mounts replaced under warranty BUT like Brendan said its your luck of the draw...

Welcome to our little corner of the interweb

The Golf is a great piece of kit, but as the song says "you gotta have soul"... get the Meggy, once you learn to listen to a car that speaks French, very few other cars seem as fun or communicative

I assume then i've been looking at Ph 1 Cup version ('05-'06 models), as they've had the funky orange seatbelts and stitching to the seats which I quite like. Definitely after a 5door version for the 18's & Leather…what are the major differences mechanically and visually stepping up to the Ph 2?

Most I've been looking at are aroudn 50-60k on the clock so I think they're due for the major from age rather than km's.

Appreciate all the informative replies guys.

I assume then i've been looking at Ph 1 Cup version ('05-'06 models), as they've had the funky orange seatbelts and stitching to the seats which I quite like. Definitely after a 5door version for the 18's & Leather…what are the major differences mechanically and visually stepping up to the Ph 2?

Most I've been looking at are aroudn 50-60k on the clock so I think they're due for the major from age rather than km's.

Appreciate all the informative replies guys.

mechanically the same thing between the ph1 and ph2 - ph2 was really a face lift - more slanted front grills and different rear tail lights, interior slightly different and looses the funky orange seat belts - rear brake caliper position is in a slightly different position aswell.

both are great cars and way more fun than a ricer [ i have an evo so can say that :]

i chose a meggy over the golf for the reasons you mention . the meggys more fun , more interesting , a lot rarer and drives better . the golf is more conservative looking and built a little better inside .

all the ladies have gti's where i live . another reason to go meggy

Hi 225,

Hope you find what you're looking for in the way of choice and quality of condition.

As for Renault costing... well feel free to look at the link below (in the signature) and get an idea of what it may run for parts and accessories.

For the price of standard drilled rotors for Renault Australia, you can get Slotted rotors from the R26-R.

I mention this as an improvement and solution to possible cracking - Dependant on your driving style to begin with.

Enjoy your choice.

Cheers,

WOLF

Well it's good to have all this information that's for sure. When I mentioned track work, i haven't really done any thus far, but have participated in a few motorkana/DECA days up at Shepparton on the skidpan and back-track in the rex.

Would like to do a track day though, but it won't be a regular thing! So if the time comes, upgrading to R26.R discs might be a good choice, weigh it up when i come to it.

I've been seeing a few 225 Cups on the road of late, saw x2 Ph2's, a Red and a Charcoal, they looked bloody good...but i'm not sure what i prefer out of the Ph1 & 2!

Seeing as how no one has ever tried the R26-R spec... maybe it might be worth a shot. Seeing as how the Track is going to be very seldom.

Either way, i'm sure you will work it out. 'Twas just a suggestion based on it's price point being lower than AUS standard. To be clear though - nothing wrong with standard in my view.

Cheers

WOLF

Welcome to the forum mate!

My wife has Golf GTI 6 speed manual, and I have 2005 RSM 225 Cup. The GTI is nice and comfortable but isn't a drivers car in my humble opinion, although it has a cracking exhaust note.

The RSM is raw, goes like stink, and even my wife prefers it if she's feeling a bit frisky and wants to give it some stick. It basically gives you a nice shove in the back when you floor it, corners quite flat, and stops brilliantly.

The GTI may have very nice balance and be only 0.5-1.0 seconds slower around the Top Gear track, but it just doesn't feel as fun or raw.

My front disks may get replaced tomorrow, but I'm not expecting it, and my car just hit 100k kms.

Test drive both and see what you like.

What about reliability wise - your thoughts? And considering you're just about to hit 100kms - can you give me an idea of costs and maintenance such as average service cost, major service and anything else you've had to do?

Also i only had a short drive, but the clutch was quite light and low down torque made it seem like it wouldn't be too bad as a daily, as I enjoy a 45min peak hour drive to and from work..

They are a reliable car engine and transmission wise. I owned a ph2 225 and loved it, though dealer issues broke my heart. IMO the Megane 225 (non cup) struggles for front end grip from stand still on rough or broken surfaces (especailly with esp off), this may be especailly noticeable since you are coming form a wrx. Others may disagree.

There is tuning potential in the form of remaps which can bump power to 250+ hp

Regards

Antony

I pay around $250-$300 for most services, but the 100k service with timing belt was $1000. Timing belt kit was under $300, but my wife's Golf GTI timing belt kit was over $600. There was one other major service, at 60k but it cost around $600 from memory.

Top engine mount has gone again, so on average it's needed a new engine mount every 25k kms, and now that it's out of warranty it's going to cost $150-$200 each time I think.

I'm still on the original set of disks, but the front pads were replace about 20k kms ago.

Otherwise it's quite a reliable car, to date, but who knows what the next 100k kms will be like, because that is how many kms I'll do before I sell it.

But the maintenance costs (and fuel) are NOTHING compared to the depreciation cost for me as I bought it new.

Decent tyres (Dunlop Sport Maxx, etc) are at least $350, with the really good stuff costing over $500, and the reasonable but shorter life stuff costing around $250-$280.

Thanks for the great informative reponse mate. Exactly the info i've been chasing so i have an idea fo what i'm up for!

A few of the cars i'm looking at are approaching the 3-4 y.o mark or 60,000km mark, so i'd accounted for around $1k for the major (thought it was both accessory/timing belts + labour), $600 is better!

One last Q, can someone confirm the differences to distinguish between the 225 Sport + 225 Sport CUP. Have researched but just to confirm:

- 18" Anthracite Alloys (although some may have added these to a Sport)

- Cross-drilled front + back rotors, with the non-CUP having Cross-drilled but having solid rears discs?

- Upgraded suspension not visible, but has Eibachs that would be approx. 30mm lower than Sport?

- Any interior differences - both have orange detailing/belts on Ph1, does CUP have an extra button to turn off ESP?

Thanks for the great informative reponse mate. Exactly the info i've been chasing so i have an idea fo what i'm up for!

A few of the cars i'm looking at are approaching the 3-4 y.o mark or 60,000km mark, so i'd accounted for around $1k for the major (thought it was both accessory/timing belts + labour), $600 is better!

One last Q, can someone confirm the differences to distinguish between the 225 Sport + 225 Sport CUP. Have researched but just to confirm:

- 18" Anthracite Alloys (although some may have added these to a Sport)

- Cross-drilled front + back rotors, with the non-CUP having Cross-drilled but having solid rears discs?

- Upgraded suspension not visible, but has Eibachs that would be approx. 30mm lower than Sport?

- Any interior differences - both have orange detailing/belts on Ph1, does CUP have an extra button to turn off ESP?

you can turn off esp on ph1 non cup, but it just comes back on after a certain speed think 30 or 50k's.........the CUP, once turned off, pretty much stays turned off unless it senses you are in really deep sh*te, on which case you better pray and hope for some divine intervention! :shock:

non cups DO NOT get cross drilled discs of any sort, they are solid all round.

ph1 non cups get 17 inch clio182 looking rims on them.

interior is pretty much the same on the ph1, but i think some came with full leather and a sunroof.

and don't forget, ph1 cups only came in techno grey and blood orange, so if someone is trying to flog off a blue or black phase1 to you as a cup tell em to shove it :o

• 4 weeks later...

Hey mate n welcome,

We have had both the RS 225 Cup Phase 1 and Golf GTI DSG in the household..and done roughly about 70k in each of them. They have both been reliable cars with no problems at all, as long as there serviced on time and I assume not thrashed like you've stolen it day in day out. Only problem we ever had with the 225 cup, was the broken engine mounts.

The 225 Cup is definitely a much firmer and sportier car..but I definitely thought it was to stiff for some of the roads, and i just live around the corner from you near "The Pines" so we'd be driving on similar roads. This is probably the reason they softened the Phase 2 225 cups. The GTI definitely doesnt drive as good as the 225 but it makes up for that with the much better interior quality and design and DSG and that fact that it is much easier to mod in Australia with alot more parts being readily available. On the exterior id have to say the RS 225 does look better than a GTI and is much rarer.

Either way mate which ever car you go you will enjoy :)

both are great cars and way more fun than a ricer [ i have an evo so can say that :]

i chose a meggy over the golf for the reasons you mention . the meggys more fun , more interesting , a lot rarer and drives better . the golf is more conservative looking and built a little better inside .

all the ladies have gti's where i live . another reason to go meggy :D

looking at the posts above from gti / 225 owning families i reckon i was right . the ladies drive the golf , the men drive he meggy . :wink:

This is a great thread guys...

Out of interest, what are the more common items that fail/have been replaced by warranty in OZ or O.S.?

Engine mounts, engine mounts, engine mounts.

I think we need a separate thread to try to collate this sort of info.

• 1 month later...

You people, giving this new bloke advise, are unbelievable. There is NO such car as a meggy. It's called a Megane. Why do you have to basterdise the French/English language. In addition there is NO such car as a Renault Sport Megane. It is a Renault Megane "Sport 225" Cup or non-Cup and known worldwide by those names in that order.

The DSG or "Direct Select Gearbox" is a gearbox with a dual clutch designed by Audi and changes gear in 2/1000th of a second. It could never replace the purist 6 speed manual gearbox of the Renault. The two cars are poles apart and designed for different applications. This information is based on many years of selling both brands of motor vehicles, amoung other brands, including Audi.

I currently drive a Renault Megane Sport 225 (non-cup) and can say with entire sincerity that it is probably the best road going sports car I have ever owned. It handles like nothing on earth for the price and leaves everything else for dead when it comes to standard features, speed in any gear, and cornering abililty. Plus it looks hot in in livery of Blood Orange, which was the original global launch colour for this model Renault when it was first released to the world motoring public. Welcome to the amazing world of Renault, if you are bold and wise enough to choose her.

Regards, Magane Pilot.

Gosh, if you really want to be pedantic, it's actually a (deep breath)...

"Renault Mégane II RENAULTsport 225 Cup" or "Renault Mégane II RENAULTsport 225 Luxe"

Don't forget to differentiate between Phase I and Phase II models. Then of course there's the limited edition models...

"Renault Mégane II RENAULTsport 225 Trophy" (Phase I)

"Renault Mégane II RENAULTsport 225 Renault F1 Team Cup Special Edition" (Phase II)

"Renault Mégane II RENAULTsport 230 Renault F1 Team Cup R26" (and R26.R too, both Phase II)

Gawd, I'm such an anorak LOL

But to jump to everyone's defence, if we were to use the full title for each model, every time in every post, we'd be here for an eternity both typing and reading. Abbreviations just make things easier for everyone - after all, you still knew what a "Meggy" was :wink:

Cheers, Dish.

:shock: Now tell us what you really think! :lol:

Agree that the abbreviation is just a convenient handle we use, but the monikers just get silly when used in full. Would you like the model code as well? I drive a CB21, and the wife has an R1154.

• 2 months later...

Well i missed some of the last posts above and haven't been here for a while, but i must say thanks to all who have contributed and provided information.

Still looking for the right car, along with selling my current wheels, will update once decisions have been made. Should I end up with a Megane i'm sure you'll all see a lot more of me around here!

Regards, Anthony

You people, giving this new bloke advise, are unbelievable. There is NO such car as a meggy. It's called a Megane. Why do you have to basterdise the French/English language. In addition there is NO such car as a Renault Sport Megane. It is a Renault Megane "Sport 225" Cup or non-Cup and known worldwide by those names in that order.

The DSG or "Direct Select Gearbox" is a gearbox with a dual clutch designed by Audi and changes gear in 2/1000th of a second. It could never replace the purist 6 speed manual gearbox of the Renault. The two cars are poles apart and designed for different applications. This information is based on many years of selling both brands of motor vehicles, amoung other brands, including Audi.

I currently drive a Renault Megane Sport 225 (non-cup) and can say with entire sincerity that it is probably the best road going sports car I have ever owned. It handles like nothing on earth for the price and leaves everything else for dead when it comes to standard features, speed in any gear, and cornering abililty. Plus it looks hot in in livery of Blood Orange, which was the original global launch colour for this model Renault when it was first released to the world motoring public. Welcome to the amazing world of Renault, if you are bold and wise enough to choose her.

Regards, Magane Pilot.

Okay, I haven't had one of these fun posts in a while, and just stumbled accross this so what they hey... and yes I know its a bit of a mine - 3 months old post hehe

It actually IS a RenaultSport Megane. Just as a HSV GTS or FPV GT are what they are. RenaultSport is the branding as opposed to just Renault. I point you towards the badge on the rear of any RenaultSport product...

2722944845_2a0b87986f.jpg

Secondly, DSG stands for Direct Shift Gearbox, not Select and it was not designed by Audi. The original design of the dual clutch transmission (what a DSG is) was by a French guy, Adolphe Kegresse, in the late 30's, just before WW2. Then Porsche adopted the design and put it into production, for racing cars, in the 80's. The version VW uses and calls DSG was designed by BorgWarner and licenced to the VW Auto Group.And it changes gears in 8 miliseconds (0.008 seconds), not two onethousandths of a second.

Seriously, if you're gonna be an asshat and try to correct people, make sure you have your facts right. Typical salesperson, knows nothing about anything but thinks he knows everything. :roll:

it changes gears in 8 milionseconds (0.008 seconds)

Seriously, if you're gonna be an asshat and try to correct people, make sure you have your facts right.

Sorry - 8 million seconds is a heck of a long time... (and yes, I know I shouldn't feed the troll, sorry) :lol:

it changes gears in 8 milionseconds (0.008 seconds)

Seriously, if you're gonna be an asshat and try to correct people, make sure you have your facts right.

Sorry - 8 million seconds is a heck of a long time... (and yes, I know I shouldn't feed the troll, sorry) :lol:

HAHAHA Good spot, error fixed. :rofl::rofl:

Was in tears after that! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

My car was officially written off today due to damage from the hail in Melbourne recently.

Sad times as i've had the car for about 3 years and it really has been a great fun on cruises, deca days and even the track once...

I guess the one positive is now the hunt for a nice RSM Cup really begins...

Whoa!!!.. that happened to me. Had a black clio, got it all sorted, then BAM, vandalised and written off. The money plus some savings got me an RSC and a Buell.

You could be looking at a blessing in disguise.

Cheers,

WOLF

may your rex R.I.P

wolf , you got a BUELL ?

i LOVE buells .

if i rode a bike it weould be a flame red buell !!!! what a bike .