Bogas members ....

Dom

Hey boys ... i was looking to see if someone i had spoke to about the club had joined up an did a sort of members by newest first. I noticed heaps of people who have joined... that IMO look a bit suspect ...... Just looking at their loaction an the fact that most post a wed site an the names hey use ... must be bogas spamers surely ???

What do you think?

Sorry folks, been flat knacker over the last week or so and haven't had a chance to delete spammers and approve legit members - will try to at least approve the real ones tonight and delete the spammers as soon as I'm able. It's just a lengthy, tedious job.

Maybe if we make the CAPTCHA image more robust it would cut down on spammers.

I know this has been brought up before but we could look at a small annual fee to upgrade the site similar to MS net.

Just my 2 cents 8)

OK folks, I've approved about a dozen members who have signed up - far out, can't believe some have been waiting up to 3 weeks, and I sincerely apologise to those who have waited so patiently. I cannot believe it's been that long since I last went on my anti-spamming rampage...

It's not bots that are getting through Jeffster - the problem is that the spammers hire people with some English language skills to sign up to sites (and I'm guessing that they are finding us via search engines) to get past those "type what this image says" security feature. They are easy to differentiate as more often than not they list a lot of info such as their websites which give them away, but the problem we face is that legitimate people sign up to be members and leave insuffient info to enable us to determine whether they are legit or not.

Anyways, I'm off to bed to get 6hrs sleep and start the working week - oh hang on! Make that a 3 day working week this time 8)

Dish I just had a thought when I looked at the sign-up page there was no notice about why we need detailed information or in fact about the approval process. It wold be good to make that information prominent for potential members :)

Good idea Jeffster, but I've had a look at the Admin section to see if I can edit that message and there's no sign of it - looks like it's a default thing that cannot be changed :(

Good idea Jeffster, but I've had a look at the Admin section to see if I can edit that message and there's no sign of it - looks like it's a default thing that cannot be changed :(

Dank is a programmer and so are a few others, I am sure if you gave him FTP access he would fix it up for us :)