Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lachlan8

New owner Hi - 2005 Clio Sport 182 Cup

Recommended Posts

hi all,

just wanted to drop in and say hi. I've been snooping around these forums for a month or so whilst i tried to find a clio sport.

I've wanted one now since released so about 18 years!

Yesterday i finally put down a deposit on a silver 182 Cup. The Price was too good to pass up given the condition (albeit does have a couple of qn marks mechanically..)

Bit unsure if this is the appropriate place to address my "qn marks" but it would certainly put my mind at ease if other forum members could chip in on a few things:

1.) it seems to have a drone from the rear of the car, i've read here wheel bearings are a common issue so leaning this way. Just unsure if it could be something really nasty?

2.) a small rattle from rear (i'm actually not very stressed about this so unsure why i'm even noting it!)

3.) i have seen the members here suggest only buying a car with a good service history and confirmation around items such as the timing belt... I'll be honest the logbook in this one was less than perfect and was unable to confirm when the timing belt was done. The owner is going to check with his mechanic around this. I am simply going to assume i need to get it done prior to really driving the car (i'm in no rush) as it has 178XXXkm on it.

Otherwise she all looked good bar aircon that doesn't work and auto wipers that don't! can't wait!

pic attached for viewing pleasure and look forward to meetings and all the contacts/resources here.

IMG_20190117_183444.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome and congrats! She looks great 8)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Could be bearings or old crap tyres.

2. Could be the rear muffler mounts.

3. Just drive it and see what his mechanic says to see when their due.

A/C is also a common fault, and the auto wipers give me the shits, you’ll learn to live with them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much :)

its certainly not the tyres as they're new so will focus on the bearings.

will check the muffler mounts which I totally neglected and wait on word from the mechanic!

Thanks,

Lachlan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi mate, good colour choice! same as my first clio.

When i bought my 182 cup (127,000) i had a few noises from the rear. The rattles being the rear exhaust mounts (well overdue - i got pair of powerflex mounts from ktec racing online) and a clunking was my rear shock had seen better days. 

As for my old 2002 172 (i purchased at 175,000ish) the rear wheel bearing was in need of replacement, i got a pair of second hand rotors (unfortunately the bearing is pressed into them). It might be just one of those mileage things? My timing belt, aux belt etc was due on around 190,000 i believe but not really the type of info to go by! 

I can send you what i did to my current 182 cup when i bought it if it gives you some food for thought

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome and congrats on the purchase! Still love every drive in my silver 182 Cup nine and a half years after I bought it!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Henri said:

Hi mate, good colour choice! same as my first clio.

When i bought my 182 cup (127,000) i had a few noises from the rear. The rattles being the rear exhaust mounts (well overdue - i got pair of powerflex mounts from ktec racing online) and a clunking was my rear shock had seen better days. 

As for my old 2002 172 (i purchased at 175,000ish) the rear wheel bearing was in need of replacement, i got a pair of second hand rotors (unfortunately the bearing is pressed into them). It might be just one of those mileage things? My timing belt, aux belt etc was due on around 190,000 i believe but not really the type of info to go by! 

I can send you what i did to my current 182 cup when i bought it if it gives you some food for thought

Hi Henri, appreciate your insight. A copy of the works you had some would be great! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t forget to come to the 2’s on 2’s Clio ll meet on the 2nd of Feb.

 

The first "2's on 2's" annual Clio ll meet in Melbourne open to all 172 ph1, 172 ph2, 182, 182 Cup, 182 Trophy and V6 is on Saturday 2/2/19 at 5:00pm , Yarra Bend, Loop Picnic Area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Loop+Picnic+Area+and+Playground/@-37.7987676,145.0093195,17.83z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6ad643a6799a6425:0xe773dcfdc350067b!8m2!3d-37.7987578!4d145.0104701

It is the opposite side of the Yarra from Studley Park and entrance is obtained from the north side of the Eastern Fwy.

At this point we will be meeting here, bringing some snags, steaks and drinks and talking Clio ll's for a couple of hours.

It is a family friendly venue for kids or dogs with the playground next to the bbq area as well as the walking paths and foot bridge over the Yarra to Studley Park. 

We will be going for a cruise after we finish up here for those who wish to come for an easy drive somewhere beach side.

Edited by 63x1092
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Silver 182 cup.

Welcome mate. I’m on my second silver 182 cup that I rescued from a hail storm a few months back. They’re addictive. I bought my first one in 06’, then bought a Megane 250 Cup Trophee and then an RS265 Red Bull, only to go back to the little Clio. Love them.

See you on the road!

Edited by Danny
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats mate! Welcome to the club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big welcome ! Great choice for fun per mile . Enjoy 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Danny said:

Another Silver 182 cup.

Welcome mate. I’m on my second silver 182 cup that I rescued from a hail storm a few months back. They’re addictive. I bought my first one in 06’, then bought a Megane 250 Cup Trophee and then an RS265 Red Bull, only to go back to the little Clio. Love them.

See you on the road!

Cheers Danny, hey quick qn..I've just realised I actually don't know how to 100% confirm it is a cup! It has the darker wheels but I know some 182s would've had these fitted over the years. Is there a quick way to confirm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lachlan8 said:

Cheers Danny, hey quick qn..I've just realised I actually don't know how to 100% confirm it is a cup! It has the darker wheels but I know some 182s would've had these fitted over the years. Is there a quick way to confirm?

Yeah I believe so, the rear springs (if they’re original) will have a white and red stripe or blob of paint on them somewhere I believe. If they have that then you can be 90% sure it’s a cup.

To completely 100% confirm, you’ll need to pop a front wheel off and measure the hub bolt spacing. It should be 60mm. If it’s a non cup then it will measure 54mm IIRC.

VIN doesn’t give anything away and Renault can’t confirm. I’ve tried it before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi all, i thought no doubt you could assist here (perhaps i called myself an owner too soon...)

the vendor of the car had an oil change and check completed by his mechanic per my request. The notes supplied say as follows:

- rear exhaust muffler worn
- RHR Park Globe N/W (no idea what this means haha)
- minor water pump leak
- engine has oil leak
- possible power steer rack leak - suggest clean engine + rack and then recheck
- rear wheel bearing noise
-suspect possible clutch bearing noisy - needs further investigation
- headlight lenses faded
- the vendor also confirmed timing belt was done at 90k in 2011!
 

so my current thoughts are most of this stuff, whilst fairly major, i suspected. This being the timing belt needs doing, bearings/discs need doing and muffler will eventually need doing.

The items i'm mainly concerned about are the leaks. Can anyone offer some perspective here. 

Note: I can still walk away despite really wanting this car!

thanks,

Lachlan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RHR Park Globe N/W = Right hand rear park globe not working.

The minor water pump leak can be resolved by replacing the water pump when you do the belts.

Engine oil leak - depends how bad the leak is, and where it's actually leaking from. Could it be a gearbox oil leak, as this tends to be quite common on Clio 2s?

Power steering rack leak - not that common - See above regarding possibility of being gearbox oil leak?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on the cars price these items could make the purchase a little expensive if you’re paying a mechanic to fix them. 

Different story if it was cheap and you’re doing your own work.

Going by that list of items it looks like the service history isn’t the best and typically one would say walk away, but the outside looks clean in the photo you posted above.

So cheap means crap body or mechanicals and a clean and good service history go for top dollar and not knowing your budget what advise do we give.

Buy the best car your budget allows?

This could be the one, but only you know if it’s so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with the above. 

It really depends how cheap you get the car. Get a specialist to do it and i'd say that list of things to do would cost $2k~ to sort out, parts and labour. You'll just have to price that into total cost of purchase. Having said that once that's sorted it would be a lovely car. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Agree with the above. 

It really depends how cheap you get the car. Get a specialist to do it and i'd say that list of things to do would cost $2k~ to sort out, parts and labour. You'll just have to price that into total cost of purchase. Having said that once that's sorted it would be a lovely car. 

Cheers all, I'll come clean on price. It's $3.5k which h even with the km I think is pretty good for a 182 cup.

Have priced the timing belt and bearing replacement at 1200 which seems ok and I guess had thought even if I spend 3k ok it given condition of body/interior should be ok.

As always appreciate your inputs :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lachlan8 said:

Cheers all, I'll come clean on price. It's $3.5k which h even with the km I think is pretty good for a 182 cup.

Have priced the timing belt and bearing replacement at 1200 which seems ok and I guess had thought even if I spend 3k ok it given condition of body/interior should be ok.

As always appreciate your inputs :)

I’d say that is a very good price ! I’d be snapping that up fixing it and then knowing it had been done right !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I’d say that is a very good price ! I’d be snapping that up fixing it and then knowing it had been done right !

Thanks again Gambit! I guess that's one small win. I will know it's been done haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just note, if paying for belts and rear wheel bearing and was quoted $1200 perhaps ad $1200 or more if it’s the clutch bearing when you ad in clutch and the rest of it 

You could be out $3K to $4K to get right and with cost of $3500 you’re hitting $7.5K. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 63x1092 said:

You could be out $3K to $4K to get right and with cost of $3500 you’re hitting $7.5K. 

Which is about the market rate for a decent 182 with reasonable KM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good way to check for rear wheel bearing issues is if you turn in the direction of the side that the noise is coming from while driving, it unloads the bearing and the noise often goes away. Returns when you straighten the wheel and reload the bearing. New OEM rear discs contain the wheel bearing, so replace these and you should be sorted.

Typical oil leaks are selector shaft seal and rear main seal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Moosey said:

Good way to check for rear wheel bearing issues is if you turn in the direction of the side that the noise is coming from while driving, it unloads the bearing and the noise often goes away. Returns when you straighten the wheel and reload the bearing. New OEM rear discs contain the wheel bearing, so replace these and you should be sorted.

Typical oil leaks are selector shaft seal and rear main seal.

Thanks Moosey, appreciate the info. Will have a look when I go to pick it up in a few days as have told the vendor I'll take it! She's had a hard life so time for some pampering :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I collected her today. Confirmed a couple of things. Definitely a cup (yay) and secondly definitely a rear left wheel bearing (also yay). Otherwise had a nice run home and I see why you guys all like these little beasts!

Not quite as clean as I thought unfortunately but not all bad, few chips here and there and couple small dings passenger side but otherwise lots of car for the money :) already hit the headlights with a restoration kit and certainly looking much better than they were! 

IMG_20190126_152814.jpg

IMG_20190126_152823.jpg

IMG_20190126_152851.jpg

IMG_20190126_152905.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks as clean as most that age, and not too hard to breathe new life into them (check out @Danny 's"Dimples" thread and @Gambit's orange build among many). What's the service history like? If there's missing knowledge, it's worth having a good Renault mechanic give it a once over to establish a baseline. My FRB (187,500km on the clock) just had a major service (excluding belts) done by RenoTech (Sydney) and it feels and drives so much better. Even though it has a very complete service record, I now know what's what and can trust it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ttimbo said:

Looks as clean as most that age, and not too hard to breathe new life into them (check out @Danny 's"Dimples" thread and @Gambit's orange build among many). What's the service history like? If there's missing knowledge, it's worth having a good Renault mechanic give it a once over to establish a baseline. My FRB (187,500km on the clock) just had a major service (excluding belts) done by RenoTech (Sydney) and it feels and drives so much better. Even though it has a very complete service record, I now know what's what and can trust it.

Cheers ttimbo. Calling the service history patchy would be a compliment if that gives ya an idea...I've already assumed I'm going belts and whatever else constitutes a major service ! Could also use a new muffler at some  point. Thanks also for the other thread links and will take a look! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...