Probable new owner

Anakist

Hi Everyone,

I joined here ages ago, probably looking to repair my Mum's RS225 Megane, but now I am looking to replace my 2004 Mini Cooper S and have my eye on a leasing a Clio Cup.

Has anyone driven them both and can offer suggestions if I will like the Clio? I have Enkei's, a smaller pulley and a bit of lightening on the Mini, but the Cup looks to have an extra 40kW, way better brakes and about the same weight.

Thanks.

James

I had a 2005 Mini JCW and it was a cracking drive for its time. We also had until very recently a 2014 Clio Cup Trophy. I have to agree with @rob 240 in his eloquent assessment. 

The Clio is more modern in pretty much every respect (if that’s what you are seeking). Is your Mini manual or auto? If it’s manual, the EDC gearbox in the Clio  May take some getting used to as it has its own quirks. Lots of info on the forum about that.

Ride wise, my Mini was a bone rattler. Clio Cup chassis is stiff but not as harsh as the Mini was especially before the run flats were binned

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the Sport I took for a drive. Didn't hammer it, I had my wife and the sales girl in there, but it was super nice to drive and way more comfortable than the Mini.

Gearbox was weird. I went through the local shopping centre and reverse parked it since that is what gives me the shits whenever I drive a hire car. Pretty sure I could live with it during the week and the rev matching in sport was fun.

Hopefully going to drive a 208GTI this weekend and see whether I like it more. It will be more useful since I can stick on a tow bar, comes in manual, and weighs a lot less, but the review I saw said it just wasn't as nice to drive. That was on a track and there was no mention of times so I have taken it with a grain of salt.

More to come next week I suppose. If the freaking dealer would send me a quote so I can start the lease stuff.

James

If you thinking the 208 GTI perhaps check out an Edition Définitive- lots more kit in them including LSD over the normal 208 GTI and no more weight. Lower and wider (by a bit) and more mid range in the tune. 

Clio is good but if you hanker for a manual, you are fresh out of luck. Gearbox it’s achilles heel for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

GTI is end of line. Plenty of people happy to sell me one but no one is interested in getting one for a drive. I am not buying one without a drive!

Ordered a Clio IV Sport today. Gonna get it sorted and pay the deposit tomorrow then see what happens.

James

• 4 weeks later...