Bill29

Minor Oil sweating from top of F4rT engine

I've got an on going oil sweating/ minor leak at tge top of my F4rT engine. Just appears around spark plugs. Had local mechanic replace a minor seal. Doesn't seem to be a leak so much as heavy sweating at top of motor. Curious if this is a know issue with engine model? Also is Paris auto in boxhill a good spot to get a service ?

No uncommon to have some oil build up around the filler. Also adjacent to this is the dephaser solenoid valve which can weep a little. Also under the manifold is the breather system that has a seal and the breather comes direct from the cam cover into the manifold. This seal could poss weep a little too. None are a real worry. More so if a vacuum leak occurs on the manifold breather seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey thank you. I'll still get it checked out when possible.

My only real frustration is oil smell as it is cooking off on the top of the motor.

I'll still get it checked out when possible 

Hello Oz Renault i have had the top of the motor degreesed and located where the oil is weeping from. It appears to be from the four bolts on top of the rocker cover. Please note the oil weeping from these bolts in the photos is minor as it has just been degreesed by cox auto the day before. Mechanics aren't able to advise exactly what the issue is, doesn't appear to be leaking from anywhere else.

20181215_134206.jpg

20181215_134253.jpg

20181215_134309.jpg

20181215_134150.jpg

Looks like a pain in the bum. Having had the cam cover off it’s integral to locking down the cams so part of the refitting process is to bead specific gasket sealant around the bolt holes when forming the gasket.

The cams sit in half bearings in the head and the other half (top half) is formed by the cam cover itself (least is for the F4R) but would presume the same for the f4rt. So removing the cover means releasing the timing and aux belt thus new belts if having a new bead of gasket goo. Is a fairly big job with new belts. Then this calls into question if one should change the ancillary bits as well I.e a full belt job. Depends on when this is needed.

I’d probably do this:

Remove bolt and used the recommended gasket seal around the head of the bolt and refit. Prob slow it down a fair bit. Then when the belts are due, go one step further and removed the cam cover and have a new seal set in place if it starts leaking again.

Pain in the bum but I think you could seal the bolt and largely ignore till the next full belt job comes around.

Hope this makes sense and is of some assistance. Others may disagree with me so feel free for other input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, i'm also glad i went to get the degresse, so i can see what the issue probably is. It just sucks its a very annoying problem.