Query: Clio RS 200

jacobtjs

Hello everyone,

Recently, the Clio RS 200 has caught my eye out and about and I'm in the market for a car so naturally, I'm interested in the Clio 200 RS.

At this point in time, I've not decided between the Cup or Sport models but for reference, I'm looking at models from 2014 to current.

I've managed to get my hands on the industry reports which measure after-sales consumer satisfaction with regards to servicing, problems, etc. so I have somewhat of a general idea as where Renault stands in comparison with other manufacturers but no specifically the Clio RS models so I'm looking to get some further information from those of you who own them.

I'm not looking to buy new from a dealer because it goes against everything I believe in so private is the avenue I'm looking at.

I've read on other forums that there seem to be problems with the gearbox and timing belt - what else should I be aware of?

If you could format your replies as:

- What model and year do you have?

- How long have you owned it?

- How has it performed?

- What problems have you had with it and how easily/cheap or expensive were they to resolve?

- What are the top five things I should be aware of when looking at buying a Clio 200 RS second-hand?

Apologies for the long read and thanks in advance for any replies, I really appreciate your help.

If its post 2014, there is no timing belt, its a chain

I bought  2015 RS200 Cup 2nd hand at the beginning of this year. It had 32k on the clock. I have now done another 10k, so just had its first service since I purchased it

It has been faultess, a joy to drive. The only issue I have with it is keeping the tank full.  Its a small tank. 

Other than checking its service history, I dont see anything in particular you need to look out for  when buying one of these 2nd hand.

The previous owner did mess up the exhaust but I have that solved now.

If you happen to buy one through this group I am certain you will get one that has been well looked after

Look I think they're great cars. Biggest issue in my mind is the Bluetooth connection. I'm getting the whole head unit replaced under warranty.

Gear boxes can be an issue and it would be hard to pick up on a short test drive. Some have reported them missing gears or going straight to neutral. I had a lot of these issues with my Skoda superb. None in my Clio.

I've got an MY2013 purchased by the original owner in early 2014 but still came with 5 year warranty. I've had it for over a year.

I'd suggest removing the centre resonator for better exhaust sound.

At first the designation RS 200 actually referes to a Clio 3 RS Phase 2. What you're talking about is an RS 200T or respectively 220(T).

To be honest I wouldn't even look at a Phase 1. There are simply to many reports on bugs related to the EDC and other things. Besides that the quality of the Phase 2 seems to be up a notch and most of the known bugs have been weeded out.

Edited by Marsch

At first the designation RS 200 actually referes to a Clio 3 RS Phase 2. What you're talking about is an RS 200T or respectively 220(T).

Part of the confusion arises because in Australia, all the major car classified sites refer to Clio 4 RS as RS 200 / RS 220....with, as always, an exception, which was the limited edition Clio 3 2011 Australian GP Edition, which also seems to cop the RS 200 moniker.

The rest of the Clio 3 Renaultsports are referenced as “Sport 200 xxxx” where xxxx refers to Cup, Cup Trophee, Gordini, 20th Anniversary. Of course, there are more exceptions, with the Red Bull, and Angel & Demon Clio 3 specials.

There’s probably some logic to it, but it’s hard to discern [emoji849]

2 hours ago, Marsch said:

To be honest I wouldn't even look at a Phase 1. There are simply to many reports on bugs related to the EDC and other things.

Again with the uninformed claims of "truth".

8 hours ago, jacobtjs said:

If you could format your replies as:

- What model and year do you have?

- How long have you owned it?

- How has it performed?

- What problems have you had with it and how easily/cheap or expensive were they to resolve?

- What are the top five things I should be aware of when looking at buying a Clio 200 RS second-hand?

1) 2016 Sport Premium

2) From new - 2+ years and just over 12k km

3) Essentially flawlessly. It has its quirks, like any car, but knowing what they are is most of the way to manage them. E.G. You need to know that a DCT is not an auto and drive it as such, otherwise it will seem flawed and jerky. My only beef has been the mediasystem, which sometimes is laggy or refuses to read a USB. 

4) I've only used a dealer, so have stealer prices. I've had no problems; the only thing was discovering half way through the Phase 1 run, they changed the door seals to be fewer then the first Phase 1's production run. It doesnt really make a difference - none i can notice - but i got the replacement seals from Renault Aus. 

5) Make sure it has a proper service history either at the dealer or a good indi. If you buy a ~late 2014 onwards model, it should have the 5 year warranty, which may give you some peace of mind. Some of the early 2013's needed a recall to fix the spoiler and prevent it falling off - if you look at those years, check any recalls have been done.

You need to take one for a test drive to fully understand the DCT gearbox. 

All dual clutch gear boxes, DCT, DSG whatever in any car, not only Clios operate the same and can be annoying at roundabouts, slow traffic etc. however on the open road they can be  lot of fun due to fast gear changes etc.

I eventually traded mine for a 'normal' torque converter auto as I found myself doing a lot of short drives involving many roundabouts and stop/starts etc. and it wasn't really suited for that so I suggest you be aware of that.

Also I had visions of the DCT giving up just after the 5 year warranty ended costing me around $8,000 to replace....the eternal pessimist. 😴

In saying that they can be a lot of fun and I still miss mine for the power and handling and the DCT 'box seems to withstand track work ok. so possibly the concern is exaggerated  😖

16 hours ago, ttimbo said:

Part of the confusion arises because in Australia, all the major car classified sites refer to Clio 4 RS as RS 200 / RS 220....with, as always, an exception, which was the limited edition Clio 3 2011 Australian GP Edition, which also seems to cop the RS 200 moniker.

The rest of the Clio 3 Renaultsports are referenced as “Sport 200 xxxx” where xxxx refers to Cup, Cup Trophee, Gordini, 20th Anniversary. Of course, there are more exceptions, with the Red Bull, and Angel & Demon Clio 3 specials.

There’s probably some logic to it, but it’s hard to discern emoji849.png

In Germany we either use numbers or letters plus the phase. So a 197 would be a C3RS Phase 1 or simply CRS Phase 1 (A was the first Clio, B the second and so on). The three digit designations seem to be an English language thing only. Over at clio197.net they for example sort them as following: 197, 200, 200T and 220 Trophy.

15 hours ago, stromlo said:

Again with the uninformed claims of "truth".

We have a 50+ page thread over at cliors.de only related to "power loss" and multiple others related to things like acting up EDCs, R-Link and other issues. Great if you don't have these problems down there in Australia but I somehow doubt that's actually the case.

And as we're with it. I've read your "mate of a mates mate" comment about the paint problems with the M4RS. All I can say is that I'm not here to piss on RS and talk bad about their products. I'm just reporting what I read and hear and in this case it's actually 2nd hand info coming directly from one of the first owners of an M4RS over here.

Edited by Marsch