Deposit down for Megane RS 280 EDC

JamieN

Hey everyone!

Test drove and put the deposit down for a new Megane RS 280 EDC in Volcanic Orange yesterday [emoji7] First Renault for me.

Hopefully not jinxing myself since the financing hasn’t been approved yet. But just so keen! I’ve been a little too obsessed by this car for the last 8 months when it was released in Europe. Stalking every Video, Website and forum (including this one) for information almost daily LOL!

I’ve still got a crazy wait though, the dealership has set my expectation of a February delivery date for the orange or yellow. But the colour was just too good not to wait for.

Current car is a 2007 Mazda 3 MPS that I’ve done 200k in the last 9 years. Joined the equivalent Oz MPS Club early on too and loved joining in on drive days when possible. I’m not a “car guy” but I love to drive.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Congrats!! Which dealership was it through? 

Cricks at Springwood, QLD. Great group of people there. They could not have made the process anymore clear and straight forward.

Didn’t enjoy the couple of phone calls I had with a dealership nearer to where I live (admittedly that is judging only one person). So decided to go out of my way and see this group and was very happy with that decision.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed it is worse case and it’ll be sooner. I was told it’s because the paint is a 2 month process alone to coat.

For anyone else reading this thinking of one, they are being built with the Bose sound and safety assist. To have those removed then there is also a wait.

I like the orange, great colour,  but this doesn’t sound logical...
Is the yellow liquid yellow or a different yellow?
Might have something to do with the issues they had with the paint, so maybe a back log rather than 2 months to actually paint. I'm amazed (shouldn't be by now!) at what dealers often say compared to the truth.

Haha yeah, I did take it with a grain of salt. Especially then also telling me that there is delays on not having the Bose system installed. I would have thought the paint comes before the sound system in the manufacturing process lol. Unless they are worried everyone will order the same colour (my fear too) so they offer a little wink to anyone who can convince the customer to buy a non-signature colour.

But yeah the liquid yellow is the same that’s on the Clio RS. Then the Megane also has orange with the same metallic look.

Drove a manual sport today. In tonic orange. All I can say is great choice mate! The manual was no where near as nice as my trophy+, so maybe EDC is the way to go.

For me it is yeah. I’ve had a sports manual for enough now, time for an automatic. If you were to go manual then you would probably want to wait for the trophy version next (?) year.

On 07/10/2018 at 4:04 PM, JamieN said:

Unless they are worried everyone will order the same colour (my fear too) so they offer a little wink to anyone who can convince the customer to buy a non-signature colour.

They look awesome in the pearl white!

They look awesome in the pearl white!

I saw a black on YouTube too, that looked awesome with the black wheels and red brembo calipers too. But I just had this bad feeling if I didn’t get the Orange I’d regret it. Lol.

• Like 1

Was following an orange one on the way to work this morning. All I can say is its well worth the wait. 

Comment from SWMBO: Oh thats a nice colour....I am surprised by that comment because this person did not let me buy the Clio in LY just a couple of years ago! 

• Like 2

On 07/10/2018 at 3:20 PM, chuckovski said:

Might have something to do with the issues they had with the paint

Real issues or "issues" a member here claimed he heard from a mates mates mate they were experiencing?

Congrats.

i ordered mine 2 months ago, red EDC with Bose. Delivery date late December, so basically same time to delivery from order date like you. I don't think colour is an issue, just a backlog of supply and demand to what the factory churns out. 

I thought about orange but after having highly modded xr5s and now 49 yrs old, I am going for the stealth look in red with wheels to be painted black.

• Like 2

Congrats.
i ordered mine 2 months ago, red EDC with Bose. Delivery date late December, so basically same time to delivery from order date like you. I don't think colour is an issue, just a backlog of supply and demand to what the factory churns out. 
I thought about orange but after having highly modded xr5s and now 49 yrs old, I am going for the stealth look in red with wheels to be painted black.
Red with Black wheels looks awesome. Very much looking forward to seeing photos of yours!
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KugaST said:

Congrats.

I would have ordered 2 months ago if I wasn't being forced to wait until it could be test driven... Apparently the passenger needs to be comfortable too lol!

• Like 3

On 09/10/2018 at 12:32 PM, stromlo said:

Real issues or "issues" a member here claimed he heard from a mates mates mate they were experiencing?

You decide if these are "issues" or not.

utogywU.jpg

Yjv84CT.jpg

mJWonkK.jpg

Btw, did I mention that there also are spots under the clear coat and that there's a fly or moskito sticking in the paint?

Those marks look like it's been hit by something, but perhaps the paint shouldn't chip so easily if it's regular use/wear and tear. 

Still not acceptable for a new car, I wouldn't take delivery if those marks were there when picking it up. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, chuckovski said:
14 hours ago, Marsch said:
You decide if these are "issues" or not.

Btw, did I mention that there also are spots under the clear coat and that there's a fly or moskito sticking in the paint?

It's not damage?

You're right it is but it says a lot about their quality control. I unfortunately don't have pictures of the spots and the insect.

And as we're with it please also take a look at the rubber seal (first photo) and look at how the metal is crimped and welded (second photo).

14 hours ago, smy0003 said:

Probably dealer 'installed' damage. My brothers Lancer came with plenty of this.

Since when are dealers responsible for not fitting doors and the like? I mean you can clearly see that the chips in the first two photos are related. It's metal on metal or better paint on paint here.

12 hours ago, xeno182 said:

Those marks look like it's been hit by something, but perhaps the paint shouldn't chip so easily if it's regular use/wear and tear. 

Still not acceptable for a new car, I wouldn't take delivery if those marks were there when picking it up. 

Like I've said there were rumors that they have problems with LY and TO. For some time these colours weren't even available (in the configurator).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that the factory can only paint so many liquid yellow cars per day. The colour has something like 7 coats. Maybe the orange is similar. If there is demand for the colour and the process is limited to a maximum units per day, it stands to reason that there may be a wait for a build.

• 2 months later...
Well done and congrats! Now how does it drive compared to the internet reviews? [emoji6]

Honestly Gambit I’m probably not the best person to be able to give a decent comparison. I can only go on what I had before which was a 2007 Mazda 3 MPS to this one.

I love the look and feel of it. Everything I could want in that regards. It’s comfortable, once your inside, and a joy to drive.

It does have a few ‘buts’...
From what I’ve read, no one with a previous gen RS I going to jump in this and go “wow”. When I got in my last car for the first time I remember how intimidating the turbo spook sounded, the BOV firing and the torque steer was. This car is a lot more tame and the computer takes away all that aggressiveness that I was accustomed to - which is fine because I’m 35 now not 25.

Something I didn’t pick up on in the test drive is just the lack of space. I have my wallet, car card, phone, a pair of glasses and I’m honestly struggling to work out where to put them. Wouldn’t have made me change my mind on the car but man it’s lacking. There is a funny little bit in the centre console but that my partner asked “what’s this used for” and the only response I could come up with was “paper clips?.

2e8455556aee844c0498b4c7a4c86327.jpg

I have only driven it from one side of Brisbane to the other in peek hour times so far. So I’ll refrain from commenting on the four wheel steer until I get to test it out on some twisties.

The Rlink system is a bit meh. Definitely not catered for a couple who like to have both phones connected and easily switch between them to play music or something.

I’m averaging 16.5L/100 at the moment in fuel. That’s me being semi conservative, so I hope that improves!

Despite all that, 2 days in and almost got my first speeding ticket today. So it’s definitely fun to drive. Very happy with my upgrade.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, chuckovski said:

You have to remember that if you're in a Renault Sport then storage is a swear word!

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Have you been in a Meg 2? Lots of storage/cubbyholes in them!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

@JamieN

Do you still own a megane rs? And if you do, how do you like it after this much time?

Didn’t notice do you have edc or manual?

What is the comfort and fuel consumption like now that you’ve settled down? 

I’m planning on ordering the new trophy edc so all information would be welcome :)

Been driving golf gti (mk5-7) so its a big change for me but something tells me vw has to go lol.

Hey@Smrle69 yeah I’m 8 months in of my Meg4 EDC and done almost 10k kms so far.

I’m still really enjoying the car, mine has been brilliant mechanically. I think the EDC is fantastic for how I drive. It’s so much better at changing gears then I ever was lol.

Fuel economy probably shouldn’t factor into the equation with these cars, especially a trophy, but I think it’s pretty acceptable for a hot hatch. I’m averaging 10.6 and I drive very moderately. I do a lot of city driving though, last I checked my average speed is about 29km/h.

Im loving the clearance underneath, I’ve been going along a lot of gravel and dirt roads these last couple of weekends and it’s handled them like a champ. I know most people don’t take their $65k hot hatch on dirt roads, but welcome to my life lol.

I wouldn’t recommend if you are regularly driving with/as the passenger. The front window on the passenger side is frustrating as hell because a good 1/4 at least is not reached by the wiper blade so that seat rarely has a clear view out unless you regularly clean the windscreen. Seems like a strange thing but it’s been my biggest dislike.

Auto park I’ve used once... It was a selling point for me but the parking in this is super easy.

The ride is quite firm on the 280, the 300 is considerably more so because it has more racier seats and suspension is sportier. If you want comfort I wouldn’t suggest the 300. Bump stops that they rave about in the YouTube vids is good, but only for big bumps/holes when going at speed. Small bumps and slower speeds you feel every one of them.

Some people have done some nice things with tuning the 280 into a 300. Removing bits to make it more crackly and poppy. If you are into that stuff then there is that. I personally wouldn’t do it while in warranty because I’ve been stung with that before.

All round I think it’s a solid good car. Definitely not perfect, but hard to find a car that is.

• Like 2