How to spot a rs200 cup?

Ashrs200

Hi all 

I'm new on here and looking for a Clio rs200, preferably with a cup chassis. 

Does anyone know how I can easily spot a cup version? I've attached a photo of one I'm considering and grateful if anyone can tell me whether or not it's a cup. 

Thanks in advance. Ash 

Screenshot_20180603-185919_Carsales.jpg

30 minutes ago, Ashrs200 said:

Hi all 

I'm new on here and looking for a Clio rs200, preferably with a cup chassis. 

Does anyone know how I can easily spot a cup version? I've attached a photo of one I'm considering and grateful if anyone can tell me whether or not it's a cup. 

Thanks in advance. Ash 

Screenshot_20180603-185919_Carsales.jpg

That ad looks wrong. That car looks like a 2012 model. I've got the same car but with Recaros. Its not a 197 unless its had major mods to the diffuser and front bumper! And new rims too 😁

Edit, had another look. Im really confused. It looks like a 197 interior with the key start. But it has bluetooth, a feature of the 200.

Edited by apple3337
X

That ad looks wrong. That car looks like a 2012 model. I've got the same car but with Recaros. Its not a 197 unless its had major mods to the diffuser and front bumper! And new rims too [emoji16]
Thanks. Yes I think they've got it wrong. Going to check it out this week so will confirm. Is yours a cup? Anything I can look out for to confirm? Also, any tips on what to look for in a used example?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, chuckovski said:
7 minutes ago, apple3337 said:
That ad looks wrong. That car looks like a 2012 model. I've got the same car but with Recaros. Its not a 197 unless its had major mods to the diffuser and front bumper! And new rims too emoji16.png

Where does it say it's a 197?

Carsales ad says 2009 197. 

3 minutes ago, Ashrs200 said:

Thanks. Yes I think they've got it wrong. Going to check it out this week so will confirm. Is yours a cup? Anything I can look out for to confirm? Also, any tips on what to look for in a used example?

Thanks.

You'll have to check the build or compliance plate. Sticker in the glove box will tell you too.

All clios had the cup suspension. The best Clio's to buy are the 200's with Recaro seats. Low klm examples are getting harder to find but they do pop up. I'd keep an eye on the market for a while to get a feel for whats going on. If you see a good one, get it inspected and buy it if its any good. Clio 3 section has threads on this topic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashrs200 said:

That's what I'm thinking! Thanks.

Hmmm no.

200 is better than a 197. 

It looks like a 197 tricked up to look like a 200. Caution!

I’m convinced that one is a 200. Front bumper, front fenders, wing mirrors, rear diffuser, exhaust tips and wheels all suggest a 200.

Been watching closely Clio 3s for sale for about two month now. I was tempted to get it too but Recaro is a must have for me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, s9810588 said:

I’m convinced that one is a 200. Front bumper, front fenders, wing mirrors, rear diffuser, exhaust tips and wheels all suggest a 200.

Been watching closely Clio 3s for sale for about two month now. I was tempted to get it too but Recaro is a must have for me. 

...but no keyless entry?????!!!!  Where's the start button??? 200's don't have ignition switch!! 

...but no keyless entry?????!!!!  Where's the start button??? 200's don't have ignition switch!! 
Thanks for that pick up. I'll defs clarify this with the dealer before I head out there.

Appreciate all your advice.

The plot thickens...
I wonder if it explains the plate - very recent NSW plates, could be a repaired write off, repaired with 200 parts maybe

If the NSW plates indicate a recent rego, then this would be illegal

Hi all. Just spoke to Renault Australia and they said it's a 2010 Clio 3RS 20M Sport Phase II Cup. The person I was speaking to couldn't confirm if that meant it was a 200 or a 197. Does anyone know what this means?
Appreciate your help in advance.

Ash

11 minutes ago, Ashrs200 said:

Hi all. Just spoke to Renault Australia and they said it's a 2010 Clio 3RS 20M Sport Phase II Cup. The person I was speaking to couldn't confirm if that meant it was a 200 or a 197. Does anyone know what this means?

Looks like a 200 but it's got a 197 interior, except for the bluetooth.  Weird.

Another test you can do. The 200 steering has adjustable reach and rake. 197 is rake only. The steering was sharpened up on the 200. Not sure how to test that.

You'd need to take it to someone such as Renotech (google them) to check the chassis set up to confirm. IE shocks/springs are different on a 197 vs 200. They would know what to look for.

It could have been a weird one made with whatever was in the parts bin at the time of manufacture. Maybe an early 200 before the keyless entry??

• Like 1

Looks like a 200 but it's got a 197 interior, except for the bluetooth.  Weird.
Another test you can do. The 200 steering has adjustable reach and rake. 197 is rake only. The steering was sharpened up on the 200. Not sure how to test that.
You'd need to take it to someone such as Renotech (google them) to check the chassis set up to confirm. IE shocks/springs are different on a 197 vs 200. They would know what to look for.
It could have been a weird one made with whatever was in the parts bin at the time of manufacture. Maybe an early 200 before the keyless entry??

I just confirmed to the dealer that it was a 200 and he put the price up from 13k to 15k!

Buy this car!  Hang out for a set of used Recaro's to fit later on.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2012/SSE-AD-5185843/?Cr=11

Or this. https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2012/SSE-AD-5322550/?Cr=12

Edited by apple3337
  • Like 1

The easiest but not 100% fail safe way is to look at the calipers. Red Brembos normally only came with the cup chassis. Everything else that has red ones had them changed or repainted afterwards. There maybe are some exceptions to this with some of the special editions (like the Gordinis which can have silver ones even with Cup suspension for example) or end of the production circle cars where they threw on/in everything that they still had on the shelves.

Something interesting is that only the 200 Cups and special editions with that chassis seem to have the 7.5% quicker steering rack. So far I thought that this also is the case for the 197 Cups and editions but it seems I was wrong.

^^^ that's all true for Europe. But in Aus we only got the Cup in the phase 3 200 series ;)

^^ what walkie said. all 197's were non-cup in Oz, except for the R27. The early 200's were full 200 spec, so they shouldn't have a 197 interior. Looking at the carsales images, the front seats are the same as a 197, but the fabric is different.

Early 200 Cup:

2009-renault-clio-rs-10.jpg

197:

20100205095145413.jpg.jpg

5 hours ago, walkie86 said:

^^^ that's all true for Europe. But in Aus we only got the Cup in the phase 3 200 series ;)

We don't even have something we call Phase 3. It's either Phase 1 (197) or 2 (200). What should be the difference between a Phase 2 vs. 3?

7 hours ago, Marsch said:

We don't even have something we call Phase 3. It's either Phase 1 (197) or 2 (200). What should be the difference between a Phase 2 vs. 3?

Sorry, I meant Clio 3 200 as opposed to Clio 4 200 EDC. 

No problem. The thing is that I actually read something about a Phase 3 C3RS somewhere else before (IIRC on a French site) and thought you'd have some more infos about it.

Btw, a Clio 4 200 gets referred to as 200T and the 220 simply as 220 with a Trophy added if necessary to avoid confusion. That's at least how the Brits handle it.

In Germany we just call them C4RS Phase 1 and 2 plus Trophy if the case.

I thought the Clio phase I was the original, then the phase II the facelift, phase III was the 197 and 200, and the phase IV the current

The “phases” are tricky, but there’s a Clio 2 phase 1 and phase 2, a Clio 3 phase 1 and 2...and IDK about the Clio 4 :D

Hmmmm that makes more sense, but why in the Megane is there no phase I and II for the phase III?

Now you’re confusing yourself. There is a Meg 3 phase 1 (250/265), and a phase 2 (the facelift - 265/275)
  • Like 1

The first number is the generation, the second is the phase. Think mid life facelift for a particular body shape, which gets a new phase number.

If there was a Phase 1 for the Clio 3, it would be the one that we never had here (06 onwards). Our first 197's arrived here in 08.

The Phase 1's had different gearing from memory (as criticised by UK press) and also gearbox issues which our cars never seemed to suffer from.

On 03/06/2018 at 12:17 PM, apple3337 said:

Btw, that's not correct. At least not on the "international" level. I know this for sure because I drove the black 200 in the photo below last weekend and started it with a key.

dFouJMO.jpg

Maybe it's one of these (see link below. 2010 Trophee) but with a different set of wheels. IE: an early 200 sans keyless entry and start button. I'm tipping the black one above is a 2010 Trophee model.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-reviews/renault-clio-rs-200-cup-trophee-20100806-11mox

Edited by apple3337

It's fine and fully legit aside from data entry issues in the ad.

It's one of the first batch of 200 cup specs that were delivered to Australia in early 2010. First and most obvious clue is no RS badge at front and old style RS badge at back. These weren't updated until the next batch and 20th AEs arrived in late June/July.

The interior is definitely 200 cup as it's got 200 dials, radio and larger screen, seats, trim as well as cruise and Bluetooth etc. 200 cup wheels and black inserts. Keyed ignition was 200 cup as well (and gordini from memory as it didn't have all of the trophee spec stuff).

Only upgrade seen in photos is the gear knob.

Ie. It all looks fine and legit aside from being listed as a 197 instead of 200 and the build date being wrong (should be 2009).

Edit: Until the hodge podge mess of whatever rolled off the production line for us in late 2011/2012 and also the S.E.s see the attached brochure for what Australia got.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

REN1650_Clio_RS200_Brochure.pdf

Edited by Treza360
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
It's fine and fully legit aside from data entry issues in the ad.
It's one of the first batch of 200 cup specs that were delivered to Australia in early 2010. First and most obvious clue is no RS badge at front and old style RS badge at back. These weren't updated until the next batch and 20th AEs arrived in late June/July.

The interior is definitely 200 cup as it's got 200 dials, radio and larger screen, seats, trim as well as cruise and Bluetooth etc. 200 cup wheels and black inserts. Keyed ignition was 200 cup as well (and gordini from memory as it didn't have all of the trophee spec stuff).

Only upgrade seen in photos is the gear knob.

Ie. It all looks fine and legit aside from being listed as a 197 instead of 200 and the build date being wrong (should be 2009).
Edit: Until the hodge podge mess of whatever rolled off the production line for us in late 2011/2012 and also the S.E.s see the attached brochure for what Australia got.

REN1650_Clio_RS200_Brochure.pdf
Hey Treza360. Any idea where I can find a similar brochure for the 197s? Thanks in advance.

On 07/06/2018 at 11:22 PM, apple3337 said:

I'm tipping the black one above is a 2010 Trophee model.

Possible that it's such spec but we don't have anything that's called Trophy/Trophee (or Luxe) in Germany to my knowledge and therefore don't differentiate them that way. Here you only have "standard" ones, Cups or special editions.

Renault’s specs for the 200 were all over the place. I had a 2011 200 Cup Trophee, which supposedly had the following over the standard Cup:

Renault Sport 200 Cup Trophée Pack
- Renault Sport Recaro height adjustable front seats
- Dark Grey Renault Sport Pack Design (Front edge / rear view mirrors / rear diffuser with twin chrome exhaust outlets)
- Centre console with carbon fibre effect and satin chrome detail on dashboard
- Electric and folding door mirrors
- Special 17" Bebop alloy wheels
- Renault Smart Card Key (handsfree)

Trophee should also have the RS Monitor. 
My 2013 200 Cup has Recaros and keyless Entry - no idea if they were standard for the late model 200 Cups or were options... 
RS monitor only came when gordini arrived and batches of cars at the same time. Initial 200 launch and the launch of new rs logo on the 20th ae had manusl for RS monitor but not the right screen.

A glaring omission here is the engine code.
F4R 832 suggests it's a 200 as a 197 is F4R 830. That alone would mean the seller has cooked it and listed it as a 197. If I was you, buy it and don't let him know that he has no idea [emoji23]

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk