New to Renault

Kuch383

Hey there,

So I’ve just bought a 2002 Clio 172 Sport that I’m looking to get into track days with.

Never owned a front wheel drive car before or a Renault so will be looking to this forum for help.

Go easy on me.

First things first i’m looking for different wheels and tyres. What’s out there?

Thanks,

Matt

5326830E-4313-486B-B967-E0724FE1A53F.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome aboard.

I was looking at Team dynamics 1.2 online last week. Depending on size and colour they started around $600 aud plus delivery for 15" black/grey wheels. I decided i had more pressing priorities for my cash at this stage (and i already have about 15 factory wheels in the shed so another 4 weren't necessary).

There is a thread in the clio 2 section on track/semi tyres that cover all the ins and outs as well as prices and reviews.

There is heaps of knowledge on the site and behind the keyboards.

Tim

Edit - i saw that clio on gumtree/carsales the other night.

And you just missed a trackday at SMSP last week but I'm sure more will pop up in the coming months.

Edited by sneaky
Added extra

Have you got experience with other cars? I would say there are the obvious good tyre choices out there but depends on how much you want to spend

I had federal RSR-R's on my previous clio which I thought were pretty good. Advan AD08r's on the megane now

13 hours ago, 404173 said:

Have you got experience with other cars? I would say there are the obvious good tyre choices out there but depends on how much you want to spend

I had federal RSR-R's on my previous clio which I thought were pretty good. Advan AD08r's on the megane now

I do have experience with other cars. But that is mostly old muscle cars (my daily in an import Dodge pickup with a big block V8). Done a bit of drag racing in the past. Not much experience with modern style vehicles.

Thanks for the tyre tips, I’ll have a look at those.

15 hours ago, sneaky said:

Welcome aboard.

I was looking at Team dynamics 1.2 online last week. Depending on size and colour they started around $600 aud plus delivery for 15" black/grey wheels. I decided i had more pressing priorities for my cash at this stage (and i already have about 15 factory wheels in the shed so another 4 weren't necessary).

There is a thread in the clio 2 section on track/semi tyres that cover all the ins and outs as well as prices and reviews.

There is heaps of knowledge on the site and behind the keyboards.

Tim

Edit - i saw that clio on gumtree/carsales the other night.

And you just missed a trackday at SMSP last week but I'm sure more will pop up in the coming months.

Cheers for the welcome and the wheel info. Something to look into.

Will look into the thread on tyre info.

Wanna get the wheels and tyres sorted before I put it on a track. Would be keen to check any days out while I’m getting the car set up though. Will keep an eye out for what’s coming up.

Yeah, got this off gumtree and talked him down a bit in price to have some budget left over for setup.

Keep your eyes on the forum for OZRS or Racespec Tuning trackdays, also often a handfull of members end up at wakefield for speed off the streets days.

Sydney peeps also have regular catchups for pizza on the first Tuesday of the month if you want to meet some people and chat in person.

19 hours ago, sneaky said:

Keep your eyes on the forum for OZRS or Racespec Tuning trackdays, also often a handfull of members end up at wakefield for speed off the streets days.

Sydney peeps also have regular catchups for pizza on the first Tuesday of the month if you want to meet some people and chat in person.

Thanks, just need to get a few things sorted (wheels, tyres and it needs a new windscreen due to a huge crack) then I’m all in for any track day.

Would be keen to meet some people in person. Will keep an eye out for the first Tuesday of June, got stuff on tomorrow night.

6 hours ago, Kuch383 said:

Thanks, just need to get a few things sorted (wheels, tyres and it needs a new windscreen due to a huge crack) then I’m all in for any track day.

Would be keen to meet some people in person. Will keep an eye out for the first Tuesday of June, got stuff on tomorrow night.

Welcome to OZRS, and congrats on the purchase.
The Clio would definitely be quite different to drive compared to an old Dodge pickup with a big block!

The pizza nights are actually on the 3rd Tuesday of every month, so the next one would be the 15th of May.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:00 AM, DOOOOK said:

Sydney Motorsport Park ARDC - Private Practice. Next one is on 25 May: https://shop.smsp.com.au/collections/experiences/products/ardc-private-practice

More detail in this thread: http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/topic/20657-ardc-practice-days/

Hey DOOK,

Are these ARDC private practice days open to everyone assuming L2S? How much track time can one expect? Also which CAMS-affiliated sporting car club is best to join?

16 hours ago, LTN026 said:

Hey DOOK,

Are these ARDC private practice days open to everyone assuming L2S? How much track time can one expect? Also which CAMS-affiliated sporting car club is best to join?

Yes, open to anyone with an L2S.

If you join the ARDC you'll get member discount entry to these and other events: http://ardc.memberlink.net.au/memberhome

Renault Car Club of Australia is a good club to join also. A few of the more knowledgable from here are members of the RCCA. They meet monthly in Five Dock: http://rcca.org.au/ 

EDIT: Track time usually is seven 15 minute sessions on average. Some times it's been eight sessions when there have been minimal interruptions (a bike has only gone off three times) whereas others there's only been six sessions because the track gets shut down when a medic chopper has to come in and take away a bike rider. 

Edited by DOOOOK
Answer to track time question.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Matt

I've also recently purchased a 2002 Clio 172 and I plan to take it to SMP for track days as often as I can.  http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/topic/30795-syd-fs-2002-flame-red-clio-172/

If you are going to do regular track days I can definitely recommend joining Southern Sporting Car Club. https://sscc.org.au/2017/

They participate in the Interclub Supersprint Series which is a well-organised group of clubs that run track days with timed laps. https://interclub.online/index.php

Their next supersprint is on 15 July.  The one after that is 30 September.  Plenty of track time and you'll be placed in a group of cars with similar estimated lap times so no constantly looking in your mirror for Porsche GT3's.