New RS 220 Owner

liam95

Hey All,

Just bought a RS 220 Trophy, pick it up later this week. Anything I should know about them? Never owned a Renault before, came from an old Subaru Liberty which would get 400k's from a 60l tank so I hope it's at least a bit more fuel efficient haha. I want to swap out the wheels for some 17's though, would there be any issues with brake clearance or anything?

image1.thumb.JPG.050e9cc9835cda5c8d3fb7e3d93ada01.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chuckovski said:

Nice!
The standard sports come with 17" wheels, x 7.5 I think. The brake calipers are the same size so no issues there.
Why the preference for 17s?

I just find the 18's a little bit too big and I hate the silver and black colour combo, i think they should either be straight black or straight silver, not both :) biggest pet hate of car manufacturers lately because everyone is doing it

Edited by liam95
  • Like 1

Congrats mate. If you were in Sydney, I’d trade you my 17s!

First stop post dealer you ought to make is to an exhaust shop to get the center resonator removed for 100 bucks. Best mod you won’t regret.

Edited by stromlo

2 hours ago, chuckovski said:

Yeah unusual had Advans on. Can't remember what model but they looked great. They were 18" but I'm sure the 17" would look awesome too.
Maybe keep the 18s for track days

Haven't even thought about track days yet :D definitely would keep the 18's though, no way would i just throw them out haha

9 hours ago, liam95 said:

I just find the 18's a little bit too big and I hate the silver and black colour combo, i think they should either be straight black or straight silver, not both :) biggest pet hate of car manufacturers lately because everyone is doing it

i hate the black/silver combo wheels too.. and agree 18 is too big. Looks like a goofy hot wheels toy on 18s. Not a fan of big wheels in general

8 hours ago, domgolfgti said:

i hate the black/silver combo wheels too.. and agree 18 is too big. Looks like a goofy hot wheels toy on 18s. Not a fan of big wheels in general

100% agree, definitely gonna get a set of 17's like enkei's or something to suit

On 10/18/2017 at 10:15 AM, liam95 said:

Hey All,

Just bought a RS 220 Trophy, pick it up later this week. Anything I should know about them? Never owned a Renault before, came from an old Subaru Liberty which would get 400k's from a 60l tank so I hope it's at least a bit more fuel efficient haha. I want to swap out the wheels for some 17's though, would there be any issues with brake clearance or anything?

image1.thumb.JPG.050e9cc9835cda5c8d3fb7e3d93ada01.JPG

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a nice looking car.  You will probably be stampeded in the rush to swap the 220 OEM wheels for "lesser" variant ones on here, so be warned making statements like that... Hahaha

You should get better fuel economy than the old Subie by a good margin, unless you are constantly tracking it or using race mode and launch control.  In which case, you may reach those kinds of consumption figures. Just...

My two bob's worth re the wheels is to drive it for a while with the OEM wheels and they may grow on you a bit.  Certainly my view is it would be a retrograde step to downgrade the 220 rims to one from a lesser version of the car.  Plus, when you sell it, the new buyer will likely be seeking the car "complete" with the OEM wheels.

Enjoy your new car!

11 hours ago, No152 said:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a nice looking car.  You will probably be stampeded in the rush to swap the 220 OEM wheels for "lesser" variant ones on here, so be warned making statements like that... Hahaha

You should get better fuel economy than the old Subie by a good margin, unless you are constantly tracking it or using race mode and launch control.  In which case, you may reach those kinds of consumption figures. Just...

My two bob's worth re the wheels is to drive it for a while with the OEM wheels and they may grow on you a bit.  Certainly my view is it would be a retrograde step to downgrade the 220 rims to one from a lesser version of the car.  Plus, when you sell it, the new buyer will likely be seeking the car "complete" with the OEM wheels.

Enjoy your new car!

Hey Buddy, I'm definitely not swapping them for lesser variant ones, I want an aftermarket wheel for daily use such as enkei, momo or something along those lines then keep the OEM 220 wheels for other uses such as track days etc? That or Ill just powder coat / wrap the OEM wheels black I just don't really like the silver & black look

Thank god I'll get better consumption figures for a bit. Definitely will be keeping the OEM wheels regardless of new wheels or not :)

I pick up the car in a couple of weeks, can't wait! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, liam95 said:

Thank god I'll get better consumption figures for a bit. Definitely will be keeping the OEM wheels regardless of new wheels or not

FYI, I get about 8.5-9l/100 between services, including joyous Sydney weekend traffic, a bit of highway driving and a few spirited drives. 

1 hour ago, stromlo said:

FYI, I get about 8.5-9l/100 between services, including joyous Sydney weekend traffic, a bit of highway driving and a few spirited drives. 

I'd be happy with that, I have a 10 minute drive to work and usually go for long highway cruises on weekends, anything is better than my old subaru :D