Oil service Adelaide

Pgibson

Having recently purchased my first Megane sport, I thought I'd treat it to an oil service change before the next log book service in about 4000 mms.

Found a local garage offering $129 oil and filter change, and check over.4 days ago, Tuesday 3rd ,October I took it to the garage.

Half way through the service I got the call I was expecting, " Megane needs this, needs that etc etc"

I said no, just oil, filter and top up fluids..

2 hours later picked it up, no dramas. Chappy said the oil is still dark because you didn't go with the engine flush.. ok I said, paid and left.

Later that day and rest of the week I noticed it missing slightly on idle, so treated Megane to a set of new bosch platinum plugs today, got home lifted bonnet to fit.

So it begins!

Noticed the crankcase vacuum breather hose had been snapped at the point it meets ( a thing ) please tell me what it is? And fixed badly with electrical tape... See pic..

Gave it a general look over and noticed the oil filter was old, dusty and certainly not 4 days old, to me it seems like an original Renault one, says made in France..

The garage is shut today, so spent all arvo muttering woo saa, saying calm and relax to myself.. I gave up smoking 5 weeks ago... woo saa.. 

IMG_20171007_132702.jpg

IMG_20171007_143633.jpg

Edited by Pgibson

Sadly, you only get what you pay for.  He is probably related to the roofing guy who offers to clean and repaint your roof for $675.

I would write it off to experience and wouldn't take it back as they will probably do more damage.  Someone on this forum will recommend someone in your area to look after your Megane.

Edited by chris043

I got ripped off with a exterior detail, cut an polish last weekend too.

Chappy messed it up first time, came back to fix up swirl marks. I thought it was ok until I saw next day in better sunlight.

He said he won't refund, but will try again.

I said no you clearly don't know what you are doing.

Another c##k smoker that thinks he can rip off a pom.IMG_20171003_080220.thumb.jpg.9f8307fd9a60a73b58fa6ec5b31ee79f.jpg

IMG_20171003_080640.jpg

10 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

Red flag for me "the oil is still dark because you didn't go with the engine flush"

I worry this is a "if you check I've already explained it though I did nothing"

I'm not saying this pseudojournalism from the US is necessarily applicable here but I worry...

Yes, It makes sense now.

I had two whining kids in the car, enroute, so I guess his comments went over my head at the time. I mean I just paid for a service, why would i even doubt any work was done... 

I will be courteous from now on.

That's just so bad.  If you live in the SW suburbs, try Manta Automotive at Richmond.  They do top quality work.  If you live elsewhere, others may have their own recommendations.  People on this forum are mostly fastidious, so they are able to give good recommendations based on personal experience.

Sorry to hear your troubles.

If you haven't already changed the oil do so, because it won't be the right type and may cause engine damage.

Paying full retail prices, the correct spec full synthetic oil is about $90 for 6L and the filter and washer is $25 so paying somebody $129 means they have either worked for nothing, or cut corners somewhere.

The oil change and paint correction stuff is VERY easy to do yourself and needs minimal tools, it only requires some time and effort and a willingness to get a bit dirty. Get a friendly forum member over to show you how to do it the first time, then you'll be set for life. :)

For the pain correction, I and others have had excellent results with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish and Wax products. Very easy to use, very good results, hard to make anything worse. If the paint is OK and only has swirls (not oxidation) start with a wash and clay bar, then use the polish, then wax. Only use the compound if necessary. Buy a clay bar on eBay for $6, don't pay $30 from a retailer.

Edited by vaughan
clarity
  • Like 1

I too, have the same colour as your car. I had never used clay bar until today. Largely on seeing it come up, time and time again on this forum, decided to give it a go. I had never been completely happy with the finish I was getting on the paintwork with a range of different products. Now- total clay bar convert. So easy to use and so fast to get a great result. 

One thing I have found with these cars is you really do need to want to do some of the work on them yourself. Otherwise, you will pay lots, often for, substandard work or service. Cleaning/ polishing and oil changing are inconvenient but at least you know it is done and done the way you want it to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, handyman0708 said:

I too, have the same colour as your car. I had never used clay bar until today. Largely on seeing it come up, time and time again on this forum, decided to give it a go. I had never been completely happy with the finish I was getting on the paintwork with a range of different products. Now- total clay bar convert. So easy to use and so fast to get a great result. 

One thing I have found with these cars is you really do need to want to do some of the work on them yourself. Otherwise, you will pay lots, often for, substandard work or service. Cleaning/ polishing and oil changing are inconvenient but at least you know it is done and done the way you want it to be.

Mine is black gold, lovely gold reflections in the sunlight..

• Like 1

That second photo is not of a shiny new Purflux filter. It is a photo of a dirty filter that has been on the engine for quite some time. 
Also no mark where the filter wrench would have put it in - if the excuse is that it's been sitting on the shelf for a while

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

Also no mark where the filter wrench would have put it in - if the excuse is that it's been sitting on the shelf for a while

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

Yeh that's what I thought, no oily finger prints, etc..

Still mad.. 

59 minutes ago, Haakon said:

That second photo is not of a shiny new Purflux filter. It is a photo of a dirty filter that has been on the engine for quite some time. 

Is it a genuine Renault filter? Not heard of purflux before..

1 hour ago, Haakon said:

Is it a genuine Renault filter? Not heard of purflux before..

Does anyone know what the inline valve thing is on the crankcase breather?

Purflux is genuine - can be bought in a Purflux box or a Renault box.

Also supplied with MOPAR branding for my Alfa....

They are extremely top notch filters and very much worth ensuring you use.

Either way, if you’ve been charged for a filter and that’s your car in the photo you’ve been ripped... 

Edited by Haakon

I'd speak with him calmly then if you're unable to reach an amicable outcome, call the Office of Fair Trading and report him. This is important as it will go on his record.

26 minutes ago, RS250CUP said:

I'd speak with him calmly then if you're unable to reach an amicable outcome, call the Office of Fair Trading and report him. This is important as it will go on his record.

I spoke with him, he offered to replace just the filter or refund me $30 for the filter. He said he forgot to tell me he did not replace it! WTF.

I told him it would need the existing oil drained, as it is now contaminated (that is if he even changed it) so wanted a full refund to get it done.

After 5 mins of him refusing, I used the words "small claims court," without hesitation he offered a full refund, which went back into bank acc yesterday. To me, if it was an innocent mistake, there would have been some defence SURELY..

its not until I had bad work done, that's when I read the other bad reviews on Google.. lesson learnt.

So I will name and shame this rip off Muppet..

http://www.motorossi.com.au/     AVOID THIS GUY..

• Like 3

I spoke with him, he offered to replace just the filter or refund me $30 for the filter. He said he forgot to tell me he did not replace it! WTF.
I told him it would need the existing oil drained, as it is now contaminated (that is if he even changed it) so wanted a full refund to get it done.
After 5 mins of him refusing, I used the words "small claims court," without hesitation he offered a full refund, which went back into bank acc yesterday. To me, if it was an innocent mistake, there would have been some defence SURELY..
its not until I had bad work done, that's when I read the other bad reviews on Google.. lesson learnt.
So I will name and shame this rip off Muppet..
http://www.motorossi.com.au/     AVOID THIS GUY..
What an absolute wanker. Glad you got your cash back. Bet the prick didn't even change the oil. Just took $129 of your money. Top tip. Get some filters from Renault, some penrite hpr5 5w40 oil when on special at your local parts store and be done with it... oh and the square fill plug socket. :wink: Bet he saw that, didn't have it so didn't change it.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Haakon said:

There is an oil sale on at Supercheap - this is what you want in it http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Penrite-HPR-5-Engine-Oil-5W-40-5-Litre/14911?menuFrom=1021652

Oil filter you can get from the dealer, but better to give Ken a call and have one turn up in your mailbox  http://partsoffrance.com.au/

Thanks

As a aside, when I removed my sump to change my rod bolts a few months ago, I noticed that there was a good 1/2 litre of oil still in the bottom of the sump. The way in which the sump plug is recessed means that the drain hole sits above the floor of the sump.

When changing the oil in future, I'm going to stick a tube down the dipstick tube to suck out the remaining oil with a big syringe or pump of some sort 

Edited by Bingle

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Fwaygo said:

Hi Pgibson, just wondering if you found the part name/number for the crankcase breather hose? Mines broken too, it looks like the hose pushes/pulls on different parts of it.

Thanks!

Hi mate. 

I found some on ebay, and bought a spare one too as they were cheap. 

I can't remember the exact ebay trader,  but found another for you, I believe the ones I bought were for an audi. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Vacuum-One-Way-Check-Valve-fit-for-1-8T-Audi-A4-VW-Passat-06A-133-528-A-/132040829899