Accidental Downshift In Race Mode 2016 Rs Clio

Josh2016RS

Hello guys

I am new to this forum, I have a question that I am hoping someone can help me with please. I own a 2016 Clio RS Sport and on the weekend I took it for a brief drive and put the car into race mode. I was doing about 80km/h before braking down to around 40km/h and entering a 90 degree turn, as I decelerated I downshifted from 3rd gear to 2nd then went into the corner and pressed the pedal firmly to accelerate out of it. I am not sure exactly what happened next, as I was accelerating I went to shift up into 3rd gear using the paddles and I think I must have accidentally pressed the left one instead of the right one and the car has gone into 1st gear rather than 3rd. The engine revved very high, it gave me a shock so I just took my hands off the paddles and my foot off the gas and it appeared that the renault sport light that is usually green on the console in front of me was flashing orange. The car is driving fine now and the orange light has turned off and goes back to green if I put it in sport mode however I am worried that I may have done some damage to the engine/transmission. I know in race mode you are in manual mode and you can redline the engine on the upshifts. However, does the software not have some control in it to protect against an accidental downshift scenario like this?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

It flashed for about 2 minutes and then I was able to stop it flashing by pressing the RS button and putting the car back into normal mode. After that when I pressed the RS button again it went into sport mode with the green light normally. I am not sure if it was the same light that flashes when you lose traction. I rarely use race mode and usually on only brief occasions so I have not have too many chances to lose traction.

in my experience the car won't shift down into first unless it's within the rev limit. 

This is at around 40-45 km/h, i wouldn't worry too much about permanent engine/gearbox damage. I've been doing this in my car for the last 3 years just for fun and haven't noticed any odd behaviour as a result.

The orange light might have been flashing because you lifted off the throttle mid gear change so it didn't re-select a gear (which is what happens in race mode if you lift when you change gears). If you were actually accelerating while the orange light was flashing then that seems odd, but i wouldn't be worried..

Thanks Lenus, after I quickly stopped when it happened the orange light was flashing, I started driving again for about 500m and it continued to flash, I stopped the car again and pressed the RS button and then it went off.

• Like 1

Nothing happens to mine. Just over revs and hit the next gear up and all good

If you hold the left paddle down it will shift a few gears not just the one so it can happen. I don't think you have to be too concerned about it if its a rare occurrence.

Nothing happens to mine. Just over revs and hit the next gear up and all good

If you hold the left paddle down it will shift a few gears not just the one so it can happen. I don't think you have to be too concerned about it if its a rare occurrence.

You sure it upshifts on rev limiter in race mode? I know it will do this in sport mode but from my experience it bounces of the limiter in race mode.

I once had a brain fade and went from 3rd to 2nd rather than 4th. The orange light was going mental until i changed up again.

Hi JoelIRS

Yes your situation is basically my question- did the computer actually allow you to change into 2nd gear (rather than 4th) and in that case it possibly allowed a shift to a rev level possibly way above redline....or did the computer somehow prevent the change from actually occuring?

Was at 4k rpm, then downshifted by mistake and hit the rev limiter and the fuel was cut (or whatever they do at the limiter to prevent engine damage).

Not sure what would have happened if i held on to the left paddle for a bit longer. Second gear was scary enaugh let alone first.I dont think it would have let me go one more gear as i was already at the limiter.

Surely the computer would know the rpm and shouldn't make the shift if there's any sort of protection system. Cutting fuel and imposing the limiter alone wouldn't be sufficient... if the clutch is engage there's a physical connection.