Rs Megane 225 Headaches -_-

Herbi3221

Hi all,

Bought a RS Megane 225 06 model little over a month ago.

I've had some small issues which I thought were just things with a used car such as brakes but so far this car has had nothing but issues.

A list so far of what has gone wrong

Front and rear brake rotors and pads worn and warped (fronts replaced $500ish, rears still need doing at around $800)

Turbo solenoid faulty (replaced $295)

Clutch went loose, managed to get it home and clutch fluid was everywhere the next day so couldn't even hobble it to the mechanic tomorrow.

Tried showing my dad the issue with the clutch and we didn't notice the fluid and forgot to put it out of gear when trying to start the car and it seems from my basic testing that one of the car main fuses blew.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Did I get a lemon or is it just bad luck?

What would you do in my situation?

Hey really sorry to hear about your headaches. What a poor introduction to the brand.

I can't comment with authority not being a mechanic but the brakes sounds like the car had been thrashed and brakes not being proactively serviced (unless you have it a savage beating in the last 6 months), same re the clutch (unless the previous owner was launching the car regularly or learnt on it). It's hard to determine from what I've heard if it's a manufacturer problem or wear and tear/abuse issue.

I've heard similar issues with friends buying poorly maintained vehicles. Little you can do. If you like driving the car take it to a good mechanic (not a Renault dealer!). Where are you? There are some great mechanics in Sydney. There may be some performance after market replacements that could turn your car into a demon.

All I can say is I really feel for you, and hope for the best for you.

Yes I concur with the above. It s#%ts me people take advantage of each other like this. I for one would only on sell my car in top health. The clutch is a known weak point. Good for 10 year then the hydraulics can let go. Or not. Seems this was on the way out and they sold it to you. Discs and pads are consumables. Stay with it. Hopefully you are in Sydney or similar as you have done great techs up there. Renotech etc.

Stay with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate, as above it seems like the car needed some work done and was offloaded prior to. How did you come to the conclusion a fuse has blown? Can you see where the fluid is leaking from?

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not in Sydney but I'm pretty sure I read on the forum somewhere that Renotech do offer mobile service (and held in high regard on the forums - they can be very busy as popular). There's at least one other place in Sydney that also gets good reports but I can't recall the name.

Edited by mmh

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not in Sydney but I'm pretty sure I read on the forum somewhere that Renotech do offer mobile service (and held in high regard on the forums - they can be very busy as popular). There's at least one other place in Sydney that also gets good reports but I can't recall the name.

AP Automotive, however that's on the diagonal opposite of town to Kurrajong.

Collier's in Granville is an excellent alternative in a more central location should you need work done sooner than Renotech can come for a visit.

I feel your pain, hopefully it doesn't end up like mine, I traded mine 9 months after buying it and still owe more than I paid on the personal loan due to all the repairs, it was off the road on and off for near on 2 whole months in the 9 months I had it, the last straw was a broken gear linkage and flooded interior within two weeks then realising the DMF is almost ready to fall off.

I miss the Power but don't miss the stress of owning it, seriously the worst made car I've even been stupid enough to buy.

What is really irritating me is the dodgy dealer it got wholesaled to is dressing it up to look like a million buck just like the dealer I bought it from and like that dealer is lying about it being a CUP and being in great condition.

Edited by jbj4701

Gotta say all the people I know who owned and ran them had the opposite experience [emoji106] but they cared for their cars. They are getting on now so it's probable that people will purchase cars that have been poorly treated. Not that the car it's self is poorly made. Especially a turbo vehicle.

• Like 1

Gotta say all the people I know who owned and ran them had the opposite experience [emoji106] but they cared for their cars. They are getting on now so it's probable that people will purchase cars that have been poorly treated. Not that the car it's self is poorly made. Especially a turbo vehicle.

And that's why I've decided to never buy used again. I know my new car hasn't been and won't be neglected.

I'm still not convinced a lot of the common Megane issues are down to neglect or abuse.

Gear linkages going brittle as they're plastic.

Turbo solenoids failing.

Swivel bearings rusting out.

Electrical connectors disintegrating in the engine bay.

Scuttle drains getting blocked because of the rubber flap on the bottom.

Window regulators failing.

Rain sensors failing.

A clutch hydraulic system should not fail at 10 years, I had that happen for the first time on a 20 year old Mazda.

Thanks everyone for the support!

Just an update.

So far my mechanic as advised to take this matter to fair trading as many of these issues should have been picked up when the car had its roadworthy inspection done by the dealership.

At this current stage the dealer did not wish to comply with repairing at their own cost and reimbursing me for the costs I've had to pay to get the car running correctly, so my next step is lodging the matter with fair trading under consumer rights and fit to use law.

Hope I get somewhere because I'll be damned if I'm going to be $10K in debt over this thing.

In reply to LTN026, I don't know if it is necessarily blown or if something is sending power to ground but across one of the main battery fuses reads only 0.5v, once me and my dad bridged to an area with 12v interior lights, dash and radio came back to life but was drawing close to the multimeters amp limit (7.1A out of the max 10A). The only thing that didn't come back was the clock.

The fluid leak was middle of the car under the engine area.

Edited by Herbi3221
  • Like 1

Good luck with fair trading. I was advised they can't enforce a resolution and I'd have to go to qcat. I'm 13k in debt for a pos car I got rid of...

Oh. Contact the rta asap too. They may help if it was roadworthy items

Generally when Im looking at a used car, I will have a mechanic with me to inspect the vehicle before purchase. Can save a lot of time and money later.

I also believe there are a lot of other cars brands that will fall apart if they are not maintained. Just seems like the previous owner(s) didn't look after it. 

Ive never bought a used car from a dealer, but I don't think I would trust them just because they did a roadworthy certificate. Just my opinion

The general advice is buy from a dealer as you're protected but it's an illusion. They can sell you a pos at a premium price with no warranty and there's not much you can do if it's junk without costly court battles.

• Like 1