Finally I Have A Megane Rs!

SBWL265

Hi all

Just thought I'd write a quick hello as I'm pretty excited to be a new owner of an RS 265.

I've wanted a Renault for years but one thing or another always got in the way. Have come close to buying one of each model Clio as they've been release but always ended up with something else.

Not this time. This time I want my sporty Renault and I found one that fitted my needs nicely. So yesterday my wife and I purchased a 2014 Megane RS 265 Cup. It has 18,000kms and three years warranty, it's black and in excellent condition. I can't wait to pick it up in the next couple of days!

Look forward to meeting some of the QLD guys for some cruises out over the mountains and things.

• Like 3

Welcome , great choice and enjoy

And as they say online - pics in a couple of days or it didn't happen

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Photos will definitely come! I'm looking forward to doing a detail too. Then getting out for a drive with everyone.

• Like 1

Congrats on a great buy, and welcome to the forum.  keep an eye on the drive day threads in the social events.  Or even arrange your own drive.  Look forward to meeting up and going for drives...

As Rob said, pics please...  :mrgreen:

Oooh you're in Brisbane... check out the Qld short notice drive thread. There is also a project under way to get a week night meetup happening too.

This has piqued my interest. I can't wait to get out for a spirited drive and feel the difference over my WRX. I have a great loop I love to drive. Maybe I'll organise a cruise once I've picked up the car. I can't wait.

• Like 1

Do it! Always rains when I organise them so I have retired from organising drives... ????

• Like 2

Do it! Always rains when I organise them so I have retired from organising drives...

Done deal. I was in the middle of organising one for a Honda group but this actually seems a better community feel on this forum. Can't wait.

I've found that if my wife is joining me for a drive, it's important to have a very good destination. May I suggest the Poet's Cafe at Montville. Great for brunch. Their fruit toast is exceptional and their coffee is good. The view is amazing.

Be sure to take a coat it gets cold up in the mountains there.

Finding a great road to get to Montville from Brisbane is difficult only because there is so much choice. :)

I will be busy on Saturday but might be able to get there on Sunday for 10:00 am brunch.

Edited by vaughan

I've found that if my wife is joining me for a drive, it's important to have a very good destination. May I suggest the Poet's Cafe at Montville. Great for brunch. Their fruit toast is exceptional and their coffee is good. The view is amazing.

Be sure to take a coat it gets cold up in the mountains there.

Finding a great road to get to Montville from Brisbane is difficult only because there is so much choice. :)

I will be busy on Saturday but might be able to get there on Sunday for 10:00 am brunch.

Sounds like a great plan right there. I know the poets Cafe well. This weekend may be a bit soon. I'm really hoping to pick the car up tomorrow though. Working night shifts over the weekend so it's possible I could get out. I love mid week runs and early morning where it's possible to avoid traffic but I'm keen to meet some people with good taste in cars.. :)

• Like 1

Woohoo

Finally picked it up! Better than I even thought! Love the drive of it. Will get a cruise together soon! Photos to come..

• Like 2

Verdict is in. I'm in love.

The car feels solid and we'll built. Panel gaps are consistent and small. I don't have any rattles in the cabin. The shift mechanism is a bit noisy and the tyres can be quite loud on course chip roads but that doesn't worry me because they do their job so well.

The seats are great, seating position is lower and in better relation to steering wheel and pedals than most French cars I've driven. The gearbox is notchy but accurate, the steering is overly heavy at commuting pace but comes beautifully into its own once the pace is lifted on a nice tight road.. The pedals are close enough and placed such that heel and toeing is natural.

The cabin feels classy and sporty at the same time. Between the piano black and the carbon fibre trims, the dark overall theme and ceiling, the bright red seatbelts and the rs monitor sitting central to it all.. I feel like I'm in something by special.

Sure the cruise control location is off, the analogue speedometer numbers are slightly hard for me to discern and the cup holder (the only one) is pretty well useless. But these things are forgiven in a heartbeat because the important things are right..

Having driven Mt Mee now in this having recently driven a 2011 wrx on the same road... Wow. I am really sold on the car now.

This engine is a pearler. It has enough rasp to sound good without being loud, the mix of air being inhaled and a slight overlay of Na 4 cylinder note.. But the response is what got me.. From 2K it pulls well. Where the wrx required 3500 to move. It's not laggy. And I love that it revs out unimpeded by the tapering off that most small turbo engines are characterised by at high revs. it feels almost as texturally aspirated

The gearing is excellent. Third gear being sufficient for all but the tightest corner. Having torque enter the equation so early is awesome.

The handling is amazing. I'm sick of the term 'loke it's on rail's!' but it kind of fits. The car handles quite flat, journos complain of harshness, I disagree. It handles bumps and undulations and even severe corrugations easily. And far far better than my wrx which rolls far far more. The suspension just feels well tied down, refined.. It doesn't crash. You feel a bump but the tyres remain well in contact with the road and the car doesn't crash or buck. It's mightily impressive.

The diff is incredible. I've driven plenty of cars with LSD but this one combined with the sticky Pilot Sports manages to in fact tighten your line while you apply power midcorner. You're already committed at pace to a corner and where conventional wisdom tells you power down will translate to understeer instead you put the boot in and physically feel torque being shuffled to the outside wheel and pushing you in toward the apex.

I could write more but it's getting late and you all know how they drive anyway so I will now sign out. Needless to say I love my car.

• Like 4

Great write up and so glad you love the car. Don't worry we never get tired of reading someone's impressions after a first serious run through the hills. ???? keep it up! We all understand the feeling and it gets better the more you get used to the cars...

• Like 1

The handling is amazing. I'm sick of the term 'loke it's on rail's!' but it kind of fits. The car handles quite flat, journos complain of harshness, I disagree. It handles bumps and undulations and even severe corrugations easily. And far far better than my wrx which rolls far far more. The suspension just feels well tied down, refined.. It doesn't crash. You feel a bump but the tyres remain well in contact with the road and the car doesn't crash or buck. It's mightily impressive.

The diff is incredible. I've driven plenty of cars with LSD but this one combined with the sticky Pilot Sports manages to in fact tighten your line while you apply power midcorner. You're already committed at pace to a corner and where conventional wisdom tells you power down will translate to understeer instead you put the boot in and physically feel torque being shuffled to the outside wheel and pushing you in toward the apex.

To me the quality of the damping and the influence of the diff are what really set the PH 3 Meg apart from the crowd. They combine to allow real commitment to corners where most other cars from a similar performance bracket are getting unwieldy and need to back off. I remember a mate of mine was blown away after a back to back run with his E46 M3. Of course the BM's engine is in another league, but where he had to really wrestle it through a few long/fast/rough sweepers, the Megane was beautifully composed and efficient, with a consistent slip angle most of the way through the bend.

Enjoy :)

• Like 1

To me the quality of the damping and the influence of the diff are what really set the PH 3 Meg apart from the crowd. They combine to allow real commitment to corners where most other cars from a similar performance bracket are getting unwieldy and need to back off. I remember a mate of mine was blown away after a back to back run with his E46 M3. Of course the BM's engine is in another league, but where he had to really wrestle it through a few long/fast/rough sweepers, the Megane was beautifully composed and efficient, with a consistent slip angle most of the way through the bend.

Enjoy :)

Plus 1 to this... Even in the wet! One day I will get to drive mine in the dry and be able to comment on that... Lol

Plus 1 to this... Even in the wet! One day I will get to drive mine in the dry and be able to comment on that... Lol

You sould be out NOW driving instead of posting to a forum!

Pro tip: offer to get some milk a bread for the Missus. Get it from Woollies at Beerwah.

You sould be out NOW driving instead of posting to a forum!

Pro tip: offer to get some milk a bread for the Missus. Get it from Woollies at Beerwah.

Might suggest Beerwah as the best place for kids to do their sport.... That'll sort it...

And yes I've already incurred the wrath from an extended run to the local shop... ????

I'll have to start planning a drive for the brissie guys and girls I think.

I like the community feel this forum seems to have already. Very different from the last..

I'll have to start planning a drive for the brissie guys and girls I think.

I like the community feel this forum seems to have already. Very different from the last..

Thanks guys. Black has never been my top pick due to the level of attention required to maintain it but we fell in love with this one. I love the all black look of it. Has me wanting to buy a foam lance and gerni and dual action polisher and things though... More money.

I've started trying to organise something short notice in the appropriate thread. Will also plan a bigger one to try to get bigger turnout

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Black has never been my top pick due to the level of attention required to maintain it but we fell in love with this one. I love the all black look of it. Has me wanting to buy a foam lance and gerni and dual action polisher and things though... More money.

I've started trying to organise something short notice in the appropriate thread. Will also plan a bigger one to try to get bigger turnout

All I can suggest mate, is STAY ON TOP OF IT. I just sold my Black Redbull Edition Megane and over the 3.5 years that I owned it, I spent DAYS waxing and polishing the paintwork (and was still never satisfied). I'd recommend giving it a good polish at least every 6 months - this makes cleaning it in-between so much easier. Whenever I left it too long between a polish, washing it was excruciating to get right.

If I had my time again I would have forked out for Opticoat and then just given it a wash every 2 - 3 weeks.

All I can suggest mate, is STAY ON TOP OF IT. I just sold my Black Redbull Edition Megane and over the 3.5 years that I owned it, I spent DAYS waxing and polishing the paintwork (and was still never satisfied). I'd recommend giving it a good polish at least every 6 months - this makes cleaning it in-between so much easier. Whenever I left it too long between a polish, washing it was excruciating to get right.If I had my time again I would have forked out for Opticoat and then just given it a wash every 2 - 3 weeks.

I can already relate..

It gets filthy looking way too quickly. Oh well. More bonding with the car I guess.. Haha

I'm looking at doing a detailing clinic at carcareproducts and buying the dual action polisher and everything. Would like to get it back to perfect and then apply some sort of sealant like opticoat.

Oh well, I love the car so much that the additional washing is just a trade off I guess

Suggestion - if you go for the Opticoat or similar clear coat paint protection option, I suggest having it professionally applied.  I doubt you will save much $$ in attempting to do it yourself, but you can seriously stuff up the finish if not done expertly, and leave a rippled type of finish.  It needs to be sanded off if this occurs (as it is like another clear coat for the paint work permanently applied to the paint's factory finish) - not something you would want to happen on your new vehicle.

Suggestion - if you go for the Opticoat or similar clear coat paint protection option, I suggest having it professionally applied.  I doubt you will save much $$ in attempting to do it yourself, but you can seriously stuff up the finish if not done expertly, and leave a rippled type of finish.  It needs to be sanded off if this occurs (as it is like another clear coat for the paint work permanently applied to the paint's factory finish) - not something you would want to happen on your new vehicle.

Appreciate your input. You've just talked me out of trying it myself. Haha.

I've sent carcareproducts a message to see what they would charge. Hopefully I can afford to get it done soon.

• Like 1

Appreciate your input. You've just talked me out of trying it myself. Haha.

I've sent carcareproducts a message to see what they would charge. Hopefully I can afford to get it done soon.

There are Bris based folks that can do it for you.  I have Opticoat on mine.  Other guys have had good success with Ceramic Pro (I think it's called).  PM me if you want details for the Opticoat (only one I have first hand experience with), or have a read of my thread where I posted pics etc.. and impressions of the result - all of which are good!

• Like 1

I can highly recommend James from Autoglamour. I was always a sceptic of paint protection, but after buying my 250 and seeing positive feedback on here I thought I'd give it a go. I certainly wasn't disappointed! See the pictures in the link below for how my paint looked after 3 years, and how your Recaro bolsters shuld look after that period if you look after them :wink:

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/23906-2012-megane-rs-250-cup-trophee/

It sometimes takes people a while to figure this out....because it is counter intuitive. Understanding how to exploit this is the key to punting a Megane quickly. You've got to learn to lean on that diff.

Congrats on the car. :)

Edited by RBH58

Yeah, agreed on the diff. It's beyond impressive just how much the grip increases as you fee dower in mid corner and its shuffled outward to that weighted up wheel.. In all but a tight first gear corner it I actually as effective as what my wrx was at putting power down.

Requires a little more thought but is ultimately much more capable. Sits flatter. Especially when joining multiple corners together. The big thing is whilst the wrx could put the power down without wheelspin, if you asked too much of it it would tend to push outwards.

That said, I had some very good drives in the wrx and it proved itself very capable. The Megane just feels better in almost every instance.

Thanks to the guys with the detailing advice. I will message. I need a professional detailer now as the car was scratched from nose to tail today! I couldn't be more cranky! Drove over Mt glorious and as I came back over past the Cafe at the top there was a dead overhanging branch a good 1.5m into my lane. I picked it up when I was probably only 10m from it but there was a car in the other lane so I couldn't swerve. Gutted. Could cry looking at it! Was a good day till then!

The only thing I would add though is if you "drive it like you stole it" a lot, Meganes have a huge appetite for front tyres. People's experiences vary, I averaged about 15,000kms a set, I think Daniel G lunched his first set in about half that! Keep an eye on them. I used to do a front-to-rear switch every 5,000kms,

Haha. Yes I'm expecting the front tyres will be one of my biggest expenses. They aren't a car you'd bother with cheap tyres on, and with all that power and braking and handling ability I'm thinking I'll be lucky to see somewhere around 10000 more kms. But the current tyres are original and have 18000. So the driver before me did alright..

Haha. Yes I'm expecting the front tyres will be one of my biggest expenses. They aren't a car you'd bother with cheap tyres on, and with all that power and braking and handling ability I'm thinking I'll be lucky to see somewhere around 10000 more kms. But the current tyres are original and have 18000. So the driver before me did alright..

I don't get why you'd put anything but the best rubber on a Megane. If you don't, you are short changing the car. 

Exactly my thoughts. I drove one on average rubber. Tyre squeal at moderate to slow pace in a Megane is not on..

I think when my pilot sport 2 sign out I will look at pilot super sport. Sport maxx rt also get a great review.

Got a good drive in today. Mt Glorious and Mt Nebo and then Goats Track just for some photos as I knew my car was already filthy anyway. DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0384.jpgDSC_0341.jpg

• Like 4

I know these roads well... Good fun!! Sorry to hear about the branch. Our recent drive day was like a series of leafy chicanes....