Do's And Don'ts With Your Car (Mechanically)

chuckovski

Hi guys,

Does anyone use the handbrake at a stop sign rather than the brakes?

Yep, I do.

Then you don't accidentaly roll when texting!!   :mrgreen:

Giving this thread a bit of though over the last week, I've observed that when approaching a stop situation, where coming to a complete stop is a 100% certainty, I knock it into neutral once revs drop to about1000rpm, and coast to a stop in neutral, using the foot brake up until almost stopped then letting the car roll to a stop for the last little bit….then handbrake.

Whilst on the subject of handbrakes, is a megane225 handbrake useless at locking up the rear wheels, or might mine possibly be a bit suspect??

Went to do a squeaky squeal in the polished concrete carpark the other day and couldn't get the rears to lock up.

• Like 1

I don't know about the Megane particularly... but usually it's a cable system, which can stretch and require adjustment. You also need to be pretty committed... pulling a handbrake on gradually will not work.

Needless to say normal handbrakes aren't designed for this... rally cars have hydraulic handbrakes.

How about letting your car idle (if a turbo) for 1-2mins once you have finished your trip, to let the turbo cooling system do it's job and cool the turbo down?

I always understood that shutting the car down straight away after a drive was bad news as it essentially stopped oil circulating around the turbo and stopped it cooling properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been watching a few YouTube videos on common mistakes people make with autos and manuals, and realised there are a lot of varying opinions out there.

I was hoping this could be a thread of sage advice for taking good care of your car.

Some things I think I know for sure:

General-

Don't flog your car until it's warm

Allow some time after starting your car before moving off (don't start and move off immediately, to ensure oil's circulating etc)

Manual-

Don't ride the clutch

Don't keep the clutch in and have it in gear (eg sit there in 1st at traffic lights)

Don't hold it on the bite point for long up a hill

Rev match when changing down

Don't rest your hand on the gear lever when it's in great

Auto-

Don't coast in neutral

Questions I still have:

Is it important to always try and fully release the clutch? It makes traffic a pain to leave a gap so that there's enough room for this, but what about reverse parking etc?

Should you always use the handbrake when starting off up an incline?

Most importantly, my neighbour revs the crap out of his car when it's sitting in the garage (presumably it's warm), please tell me it will blow up soon.

Can't remember the other questions but I've got more I'll post when I remember...

Hi guys,

Getting a bit of a jolt when up shifting, any tips? I've been told I release / engage the clutch too quickly...

Also tips on taking corners without rev matching for a beginner like myself?

Thanks

Hi guys,

Getting a bit of a jolt when up shifting, any tips? I've been told I release / engage the clutch too quickly...

Also tips on taking corners without rev matching for a beginner like myself?

Thanks

Probably just slow everything down a little for the gear change (probably a good general rule even when you get better at it).

For corners, try to get in the right gear before the corner.

Probably just slow everything down a little for the gear change (probably a good general rule even when you get better at it).

For corners, try to get in the right gear before the corner.

Morning, hope you're enjoying the long weekend

Thanks for the tips, just making sure I'm doing the right steps when up shifting

- off gas pedal completely

- clutch in

- shift gear

- clutch off at biting point, simultaneously add gas?

Morning, hope you're enjoying the long weekend

Thanks for the tips, just making sure I'm doing the right steps when up shifting

- off gas pedal completely

- clutch in

- shift gear

- clutch off at biting point, simultaneously add gas?

Is it a Clio II? What you say is about right but the Clio does have a very short biting point, so it'd be easy to jolt a bit in lower gears I guess.

Here's a tip. Make sure it's safe to do because you will take your eyes off the road for a bit.

Watch the tacho when shifting from say 1st to 2nd (or 3rd to 4th). Ideally the tacho needle will NOT move when you release the clutch. If it doesn't move it means the revs match the new gear (good). IE the clutch plates are spinning at the same speed = good = smooth.

If the needle drops you have changed too fast.

If the needle rises it means you have changed too slow.

Rev matching is exactly that. Changing up or down. Ideally the needle will not move and the gear change will be smooth.

Try this tip. Going up a steep hill in say 4th. Keep the accelerator exactly where it is.  Press the clutch, the revs will rise, change to 3rd, release the clutch. The revs should be matching.

What about gear changing by WOT on the revv limiter?

That way you keep the throttle-body open and the air-flow doesn't get a chance to slow down going onto the next gear.

Yes/No ?

I only rev match in a manual when I'm too lazy to use the clutch which is 75% of the time. Going into first gear but not much after that. Also saves on clutch wear if you don't really use them. I've never replaced a clutch in any manual car I've had.

But for being in a hurry-curry changing gears at the highest possible rpm with the most possible engine airflow seems quickest. The revv limiter is only a fuel cut, let it do the rev-matching.

Is it a Clio II? What you say is about right but the Clio does have a very short biting point, so it'd be easy to jolt a bit in lower gears I guess.

Yeah a Clio 2. Definitely less jolt if I skip gears. But my younger brother does it so well haha . He had a manual car in the past.

You're right, but I still wait around 20-30 seconds or so before moving off to ensure good oil pressure. The best way to minimise wear is to get the heat into the oil as quick as possible.

In a cold climate it's not so easy, when its below zero I wait some time to move off, but I have a diesel and it's usually recommended to let a diesel warm up a little first compared to the advice above for a petrol.

So what about when the car is fully warmed from a lengthy trip, you stop and turn the engine off (eg getting petrol), do you have to wait again for the engine oil to get around and do you have to wait for a while before taking it above 3K RPM?

• 1 month later...

Any input?

Give the car that just went by a 3-5 second head start.

The oil needs time to recirculate.

Don't worry, you know it won't be long till you catch it anyway :mrgreen:

My ex blew up an engine, many many years ago back in the UK b4 rev limiters were invented! Sadly it was a Mini Cooper s mk3 & she'd just driven her fathers 5 speed sierra. Somehow managed to go from 4th to 3rd(thinking 5th I assume) at about 85mph & threw not one but two rods! Luckily enough, back in the day, bits were cheap & I found a complete recon engine & gearbox for gbp200. Fitted the lot myself on her parents driveway! If only things were so simple now! Off topic over.....mechanical sympathy is a good thing, sometimes, if in doubt, ignore the voice in your right foot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not really appropriate for this forum.

Yeah. We only like fat chicks.

Plus, it's a Left-hand-drive car and not a Renault or Lotus.

• Like 1

Consider the knuckles have now been rapped. 

Don't worry about it.

I got scolded for leaving the mattress and some tools in the back one time doing laps at a track day. Although I had secured the sleeping bags in the storage compartments.

They said the mattress and tools could fly around the inside of the car and become weapons.

Wow, I never thought about them that way. The things you can learn with some of the experts here.

I thought that was the reason for having to wear a helmet. So metal things hitting you on the head wouldn't hurt.