Hi Again! Not Really A Newbie

hamstrung

Hi all, this is James... I don't think I have posted here for at least a couple of years. Last thread was selling my Clio... but in the end I kept it.

Anyhow, not well known to most of you so I thought I would say "hi" again.

Many of you probably know my car better than you know me... it's the 2002 Ph2 RS Clio, iceberg silver, "Jim Richards special".

By now it's up to about 95,000 kms (still very low, I know!), still in very good nick, with RSTuner, Koni Yellows, Eibachs, and 17" Advanti Racing wheels.

Freshly washed pic from January, attached (if I can work out how).

At some point, looking to upsize to a RS Megane 225 Ph2 Cup, as I need some extra doors! Anyone made this upgrade before? What were your thoughts?

post-15635-0-16164800-1424643938_thumb.jpg

Hello!

I actually recently acquired a 225 cup, 5 door, ph1 though. Not really an upgrade as a secondary acquisition, to use as a commuter car because I'm starting to need to transport people and things again.

Very first observation is that it is fast

But second observation is that it is nowhere near as fun as the Clio, doesn't feel as trigger happy like you're playing goose with death as the peppy NA engine screams its head off. 

Then you get used to it and the power becomes addictive. Midrange torque is nice, they might be in the same RS family but they are so different to each other it's incredible. 

It's a very nice car for the daily commute, very practical car, I enjoy the idea of having the extra doors and the large boot space. It feels more luxurious, the sound deadening is superior and the size of the car is great.

As expected, it does drink petrol. I got 7.2L/100km in the 172, I've only had the Meggy for a week but it did 10.5 in the last tank. Not as bad as the 16 I was getting out of my old 5-series, but after enjoying fuel sippers for the past year (172 and a Starlet) it's a tough bite. Surprisingly, it does better on petrol than my 197 did.

I'm picking up an RS Tuner unit this afternoon and hoping to get a Henk map installed by the end of the week and I can't wait to see what positive results it yields.

Worth it because it's such a better daily car I think. I get out of the car feeling refreshed, comfortable, having not played friendly with the Grim Reaper.

Today I had to drive the Clio as the Megane stayed at home with bits of trim drying up from being painted over the weekend, it's fun pocket rocketing through traffic but my friend and I decided that the Megane was way better for the daily work run sitting in heavy traffic. I got out of the Clio feeling a little more worn out than I did last week because it is more of a demanding car to drive.

Leave the 172 at home for funtimes I reckon I'll do.

Thanks guys!

Cloudy - good summary review, thanks! I only have room (and money...) for one car and the space / pace of the Megane definitely appeals. Would also be good to have access to slightly more effortless power, I think.

It will be hard to sell the Clio though. It's been an entertaining six or seven years.

Thanks griffyn. Good to be back (and to actually have a bit of time to occasionally check the forum too!).

Is Mike still around? Back in the RS fold, maybe? :)

Will be keeping an eye out for a good Megane, but with some other things on I'll only look to move for a pretty good deal. Could definitely use the extra doors... not to mention pace  :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As of today, proud new owner of a 2006 Phase II RSM 225 Cup! Five doors, silver in colour, low k's example.

Needs a little TLC to get it back to the mechanical standard of my Clio, but Carl @ Virage has taken a look and it's fundamentally a very good ride. Straight body (no crashes), good engine and gearbox. Getting some new stock mounts today. Also needs a good wash before I post any pics!

Next steps:

- bit of extra servicing for the next few months to make sure all the engine fluids are nice and fresh

- make sure the leather is all nice and treated, and give the interior a good vacuum

- OZRS stickers!

- still looking into exhaust options, very tempted by the R26 one going in ACT, and may be tempted to drive up to pick it up unless it can be shipped...

- a few months down the track will change over the new but cheap tyres for some proper boots!

- might need a new battery? Looks like some stuff leaking out of the terminals

- brother will hopefully agree to help me with a cut an polish to make it look brand new

- find the time to come and meet you all at some stage! (or at least in VIC)

Sadly, this also means the "Jim Richards Special" 172 will have to go soon... may shed a tear over the beloved Clio.

Thanks DOOOOK! Will do, hopefully in the next few days will start up a thread and write down the bits and pieces... gotta find the time to wash it though so I can put up some pics!

PS. Have been watching your ride thread with interest too. May need some tips when I get to doing some minor mods!

Thanks DOOOOK! Will do, hopefully in the next few days will start up a thread and write down the bits and pieces... gotta find the time to wash it though so I can put up some pics!

Great! I look forward to it.

PS. Have been watching your ride thread with interest too. May need some tips when I get to doing some minor mods!

Happy to share my experience and opinions.

Finally had a little squirt in the new wheels! Feels like I've been waiting forever.

First impressions:

- as a couple of you have pointed out, definitely very swift compared to Clio

- also feels relatively sluggish in changing directions, not as much "raw fun" as the 172

- heaps more refined and grown up as a car!

- love the subtle turbo whistle, rumbling, and popping on overrun

It's an addictive drive... I know I will love this car like I love the Clio, just in a different way. Definitely a last drive in the hills coming for 172 before she goes!