Useless Facts - stuff you learn AFTER you own the car

Teki04

so u reckon the glovebox can chill a 6-pack on the way to a party? that would be sweet :mrgreen:

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teki is right........With the wipers - You just have to flick them down once to use the auto sensor setting. If you turn the car off and leave the stick in the auto position they won't go into auto mode unless you move the stick away and then back.....This apparently saves you from nasty auto car wash break offs !

It is therefore, totally different to how the auto light sensors work.

Regards

Andrew

Yes, that's what I found. There's no "intermittent" as such, the first setting is "auto" and it varies automatically with the rain density. IIRC it won't stay on auto once the ignition has been switched off and you need to switch the wipers off then on again to the first detent for the "auto" to work again.

Had me confused at first as to why the "intermittent" setting was varying by itself!? :lol:

it _is_ intermittent :) meaning it stops and starts as determined by the rain sensor, with the sensitivity being adjustable via the ring on the stalk.

as for the glove box chiller - a more careful look reveals a gap on the left hand side where the bottle's neck would be, in order for it to fit; I don't think that was an accident at all :mrgreen:

and notice you can fit a croissant in the dip above the clock, bread sticks in the holes for the rear passengers, and a french girl in the passenger seat...

coincidence?

I think not.

and notice you can fit a croissant in the dip above the clock, bread sticks in the holes for the rear passengers, and a french girl in the passenger seat...

coincidence?

I think not.

hahaha man that's awesome awareness and stuff! time to find me a french lady (minus the armpit hair i saw a lot of when i was over there a few years back!!)

coincidence?

I think not.

hahaha man that's awesome awareness and stuff! time to find me a french lady (minus the armpit hair i saw a lot of when i was over there a few years back!!)

Hairy French Chicks - ooo la laaaa!! :P

Yes, that's what I found. There's no "intermittent" as such, the first setting is "auto" and it varies automatically with the rain density. IIRC it won't stay on auto once the ignition has been switched off and you need to switch the wipers off then on again to the first detent for the "auto" to work again.

Had me confused at first as to why the "intermittent" setting was varying by itself!? :lol:

it _is_ intermittent :) meaning it stops and starts as determined by the rain sensor, with the sensitivity being adjustable via the ring on the stalk.

as for the glove box chiller - a more careful look reveals a gap on the left hand side where the bottle's neck would be, in order for it to fit; I don't think that was an accident at all :mrgreen:

coincidence?

I think not.

bread is an idea, but why not a good bottle of red or two :wink:

coincidence?

I think not.

bread is an idea, but why not a good bottle of red or two :wink:

They are good places to put bottles in indeed... in fact, I always have a bottle of water in each just in case I have a big night in the city :mrgreen:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hows this? Shroud found out only yesterday that his headrests did that funky "pull out" neck support thing.... I was the happy man who revealed that his Renault did this!

Also,

The seats in the RSC also hold ANYTHING. Mobile phones, papers, keys, bags etc... they DON'T move on that lovely Alcantra seats :wink:

You can comfortably transport a 2.7 metre step ladder inside a RSC.

Ok a little bit sticks out the back, but that way you enjoy a great exhaust note.

I concurr.. :wink:

Funny when people ask "how did you get the ladder here"? you go and point to the RSC, and its like :shock:

When I was selling rugs (and no, I'm not using rhyming slang!) and wasn't able to use the work van, I used to fit upto three 160x230 rugs (so a length of 1.6m rolls) on the front passenger seat and one or two 200x300 rugs (so rolls of 2m length) with the boot shut! So yeah, 5 rugs wouldn't be a hassle... and there's still space in the boot and a little in the back seat!

Shopping trolleys, being the normal mode of transport for shopkeepers, would then be used to transport to and from the shop. My record was 3 trolleys worth and I'm not meaning just to the top of the metal!! These were stacked high. I'd be stuffed if I needed to carry a passenger though...

Put anything, and I mean ANYTHING on the seat during a normal city run and it is bound to stay there. Most cars I've driven I put my mobile there to start the car, only to forget and hear the phone go flying into the door around what seems to be a normal right hand turn at an intersection! So, the RSC's seats work a treat... for holding people too :wink:

Turn on the front window demister, and it instantly goes on full-blast... but press it again and it returns to the previous setting! Before I kept pushing the 'Auto' button to get off window demister. :oops:

A year on and the Clio still surprises me...

• 2 weeks later...

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've discovered that the front side panels of the care (the ones over the front wheels) are made of plastics!!! I thought that was pretty cool.... I always thought why car manufacturers don't make all body panels from plastics - no rust, no dents and much lighter than steel

Yeah!! haha I found that out later in the piece as well! Great idea!

Last night I found out those wine bottle holders have more than one use.......... (Those frenchies think of everything)

Once you have finished enjoying your bottle of wine, breadstick and cheese with the lady of your choice........

I discovered you can move into some some french kissing and then put those wine bottle holders to a more effective use by........

Getting her to sit in the middle of the rear seat, and positioning yourself so that you are frog leggedly straddled with on foot in each of the wine bottle holders........ just relaxing and taking in the breathtaking view out the rear window.

Sounds strange i know, but have found it works both ways.....it must be something to do with the frogs love and affiliation with the fly!!!

Last night I found out those wine bottle holders have more than one use.......... (Those frenchies think of everything)

Once you have finished enjoying your bottle of wine, breadstick and cheese with the lady of your choice........

I discovered you can move into some some french kissing and then put those wine bottle holders to a more effective use by........

Getting her to sit in the middle of the rear seat, and positioning yourself so that you are frog leggedly straddled with on foot in each of the wine bottle holders........ just relaxing and taking in the breathtaking view out the rear window.

Sounds strange i know, but have found it works both ways.....it must be something to do with the frogs love and affiliation with the fly!!!

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Its long but FAAAARK

Quote of the year!

LOL

u must both be midgets ..

jeez unfortunately havent had the chance to back this up titanium182.. I've had the car only 5 weeks... jeez I need to pick up again soon!! Hahah

Yeah! Just aim for the leather part of the bolster!!!

AHaha As for me I found out today that my Clio still had the clear plastic protective wrap on the door sills. Ripped it off, Nice and clean, happy Me :wink:

Yeah! Just aim for the leather part of the bolster!!!

AHaha As for me I found out today that my Clio still had the clear plastic protective wrap on the door sills. Ripped it off, Nice and clean, happy Me :wink:

Mine still has those (after I thought something was wrong with them, Teki asked if I had taken the plastic cover off... Uhh, what plastic cover? DOH!) But I've decided to leave them for as long as possible to stop scratches :wink:

Oh & Titanium182 I have rather large feet, so i dunno if mine would fit in the cup holders.... :oops:

.... hold onto the 2 roof handles while she sits in the middle of the rear seat & ur away :mrgreen:

I wouldn't try that. I've already 'mysteriously' broken two grab handles! :lol:

*In regards to Deb's below post - I'm being serious. I have NO IDEA how the grab handles broke. Must be the passengers in the back getting a little freaked out by the Clio's lateral Gs.

Take a closer look at them Alex :wink: They are flimsy plastic things!

.... hold onto the 2 roof handles while she sits in the middle of the rear seat & ur away :mrgreen:

I wouldn't try that. I've already 'mysteriously' broken two grab handles! :lol:

don't know what u were doing in there teki but I reckon they're pretty strong :oops:

(maybe it's my little chicken wing arms :( )

• 1 month later...

For those of you are security minded.........

My brother happened to come across a box of the large Maglite flashlights (6 D cell, 49.5 cm) and he sent the last one my way.

I found out they fit perfectly on an angle under the drivers seat and are pretty much locked in place from movement and bouncing around!

Always handy to have such an implement near by i think !

I just realised today that on the steering wheel says SRP Airbag, and not SRS airbag.... Spelling mistake? HAHAHHA French Ey. Clearly no, so what does SRP stand for? Supplimentary Restraint Program?

I just realised today that on the steering wheel says SRP Airbag, and not SRS airbag.... Spelling mistake? HAHAHHA French Ey. Clearly no, so what does SRP stand for? Supplimentary Restraint Program?

System for Restraint and Protection = SRP

Supplemental Restraint Systems = SRS

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure the front body panels (over the front wheels) are made of some kind of plastic... not metal! Check it out!!!

I was being anally observant one day when I was waxing the car :lol:

I'm pretty sure the front body panels (over the front wheels)

are made of some kind of plastic... not metal! Check it out!!!

I was being anally observant one day when I was waxing the car :lol:

True, the front quarter panels are plastic.

The mold marks are visible on the inside.

Yup, one of the first uses of the "carbon nanotubes" that have been the hot topic in science circles for years.

The nanotubes allow Renault to use the same technique to paint the plastic panels as they do for the rest of the car (the nanotubes conduct electricity).

And it is because they are plastic that they look slightly different (especially on the silver for some reason) not because the paint is different.

Yup, one of the first uses of the "carbon nanotubes" that have been the hot topic in science circles for years.

The nanotubes allow Renault to use the same technique to paint the plastic panels as they do for the rest of the car (the nanotubes conduct electricity).

And it is because they are plastic that they look slightly different (especially on the silver for some reason) not because the paint is different.

you sure there are carbon nanotubes there? i thought they were just polyeurethane. what the plastic then?

It would be cool if all the panels were made of plastics.... esp the roof. Major weight savings?! Or is it for structural reasons they're not used?

the roof is integral to the strength of the car. (think about a cardboard box when you take the lid off - for an example) I cant think of many reasons why the bonnet and boot couldn't be made of the same plastic though. but there probably is!

It would be cool if all the panels were made of plastics.... esp the roof. Major weight savings?! Or is it for structural reasons they're not used?

the roof is integral to the strength of the car. (think about a cardboard box when you take the lid off - for an example) I cant think of many reasons why the bonnet and boot couldn't be made of the same plastic though. but there probably is!

far enough, I was thinking about it coz I know some Germans, namely M3 CSL, has a carbon fibre roof. But I guess carbon fibre is significantly different to the plastics used on the RCS :mrgreen:

The plastics on the guards are designed to give way to minimise damage in low speed impacts (think shopping centres)

Apparently, the most abused panels are the front wings, thus, they have been swapped for plastic.

you sure there are carbon nanotubes there? i thought they were just polyeurethane. what the plastic then?

Pretty sure there are. There not made just of carbon nanotubes, though. The plastic has them "mixed" into it to allow for electroconductive paint coating they use these days.

http://www.compositesworld.com/ct/issue ... pril/809/2

Very dry article, but Paragraph 6 talks about the Renault Clio and Megane fenders. I can't remember where I got the info from now, think it may have been a Renault R&D Magazine some time ago. :roll:

EDIT: Griff thinks it was New Scientist, when I was still subscribed several years ago.

Pretty sure there are. There not made just of carbon nanotubes, though. The plastic has them "mixed" into it to allow for electroconductive paint coating they use these days.

thanks for the article will have a look through, i realise they are not just carbon nanotubes, they are a composite hence why i was asking what the plastic (component of the composite) is.

maybe i should read the article first before replying... it may all be answered for me!

I remember when I was checking out the car, the previous owner told me about the plastic wings, and my thoughts were:

1) What is a wing?

2) He's trying to sell the car to me, why is he telling me how cheaply made it is???

little did I know :oops: