Useless Facts - stuff you learn AFTER you own the car

Teki04

So tell me... what have you found strange after purchasing the car? Something it might do as part of it's feature - however you only found out after owning the car.

For example; with the Fiesta Zetec, when the front wipers are on and reverse is engaged, the rear wiper turns on too. Also the radio is speed related - go quicker, the volume goes up.

What does the Clio do that made you go "Oh, thats cool! Didn't know it did that..."

Cheers

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite "Oh, thats cool! Didn't know it did that"... but i discovered that there isnt an option for the interior light to stay off when the doors are open, really annoying when one is up to no good in the dark :roll: I ended up taking out the bulb in the useless 'interrogation light'...

Not quite "Oh, thats cool! Didn't know it did that"... but i discovered that there isnt an option for the interior light to stay off when the doors are open, really annoying when one is up to no good in the dark :roll: I ended up taking out the bulb in the useless 'interrogation light'...

:lol: It does go off eventually, after like 10 mins or so, but by then you've probably finished whatever "no good" you're upto anyway :wink:

umm... rattles a lot, much of it breaks down... local support is ordinary despite their best efforts... they hold water / oil about as well as tea bags :)

one cool thing that I liked was as I jacked up the front wheel, the entire chasis was so strong/stiff, it lifted the rear... :) I could of changed BOTH tyres at once :)

I've only EVER seen this before in a rally car with a turret to turret roll cage.. :)

one cool thing that I liked was as I jacked up the front wheel, the entire chasis was so strong/stiff, it lifted the rear... :) I could of changed BOTH tyres at once :)

no sh*te ? this i gotta try to see for myself !

don't mean to dissapoint, but i have done that in a LADA.

The bash plate for the sump is very flimsy plastic... I know this because a rock hit it and smashed a hole in my sump!

also another piece of useless info... the sump is about 3 or 4mm thick.... I know this because I have the piece which was smashed.

[quote name="Teki04"

For example; with the Fiesta Zetec' date=' when the front wipers are on and reverse is engaged, the rear wiper turns on too. Also the radio is speed related - go quicker, the volume goes up.

What does the Clio do that made you go "Oh, thats cool! Didn't know it did that..."

Cheers[/quote]

Actually most of these are now standard features. I had the speed sensitive radio in my old TS Astra 5 years ago. The rear wiper was a common thing too especially in 4WD and Estate cars. Radio still plays when car is off has been around since... ever. Well at least 95 cause the Maxima do that, as well as ejecting CDs etc etc, and switching itself off after a pereiod of time.

Cool thing about the Clio though? Wine bottle holder in the back. I actually used them :D, funky centre rear seatbelt system, which got used twice amazingly since physically the car don't fit more than 4!

one cool thing that I liked was as

I jacked up the front wheel, the entire chasis was so strong/stiff, it lifted the rear... :)

I could of changed BOTH tyres at once :)

don't mean to dissapoint, but i have done that in a LADA.

No great suprise considering the Russians built them using rail track for chassis rails :mrgreen:

Cool thing about the Clio though? Wine bottle holder in the back. I actually used them

wha! wheres this holder? I bought a cheap carry bag to do this :x

:?:

Cool thing about the Clio though? Wine bottle holder in the back. I actually used them :D, funky centre rear seatbelt system, which got used twice amazingly since physically the car don't fit more than 4!

yepper... the wine bottle holders are good :)

And what do you mean only 4? I've had 5 :) 3 guys and 2 girls :)

how did you fit 3 dudes??? must be like Ringo sized then? hehe well actually I fitted 5 twice, both time was one guy, 4 girls... 8) it was aftera night out, drove across the bridge we were singing... they were singing "fat bottom girls" that was fun!

I've tried to fit 5 guys in it, never happened. It just doesn't physically fit!

Wine holders are in the back, they are on either eisde of where the rear door was. They may look like proper sized cup holders for the back passengers, but they hold a bottle of wine each perfect!

Wine holders are in the back, they are on either eisde of where the rear door was.

They may look like proper sized cup holders for the back passengers,

but they hold a bottle of wine each perfect!

Cool!

I didn't know they fit a wine bottle, excellent!

Trust the French to put in wine bottle holders

and forget a real cup holder, I miss the neat dash mounted

pop out cup holder that the Subi had, used that a lot.

:mrgreen:

both girls were around the 55-60 kg mark... tall but well toned.. the 3 guys however.. :) I'm 1000 kg's, and the two other would of been around the 90-95 mark.. 6 foot range :)

And we didn't have clown outfits on, or big floopy shoes :)

Clio.. the new beatle?

yepper... the wine bottle holders are good :)

And what do you mean only 4? I've had 5 :) 3 guys and 2 girls :)

how did you fit 3 dudes??? must be like Ringo sized then? hehe well actually I fitted 5 twice, both time was one guy, 4 girls... 8) it was aftera night out, drove across the bridge we were singing... they were singing "fat bottom girls" that was fun!

I've tried to fit 5 guys in it, never happened. It just doesn't physically fit!

Wine holders are in the back, they are on either eisde of where the rear door was. They may look like proper sized cup holders for the back passengers, but they hold a bottle of wine each perfect!

.. the 3 guys however.. :) I'm 1000 kg's,

brag! :wink:

hey... I've worked hard to get to this size.. :) slogging it out at Macca's and KK's :) My nick name in the rally team isn't Minke for nothing.. :)

I've been nervous with that janapese whalers recently... and every time I see a japanese tourist I can feel their eyes on me :) hehehe

one cool thing that I liked was as

I jacked up the front wheel, the entire chasis was so strong/stiff, it lifted the rear... :)

I could of changed BOTH tyres at once :)

I use that method to rotate my tyres :mrgreen:

I just put some timber under the back sill to be safe.

The cup holders don't actually hold cups.

I think this was previously discussed and the conclusion was that

those little holes in the dash should be called "Cahonas holders...." :roll:

It took me about a month until I found the cd changer, and i only found it because i was looking for a cd that i had lost!

I like the way that my car likes to play a cd even if the key isn't in the ignition, what a nice way to run the battery down...

Also like the way the renault rs exhausts only last about 10 minutes, i think they are made of cardboard and chocolate....

Best thing is the heat reflective windscreen (it IS heat reflective isn't it?) what use I had for that in the UK?!?!!! It WAS NEVER HOT!

Sometimes found the air con controls quite erratic... and i like how you can 'pause' the radio by pressing both volume buttons at once

i like the fact that long after the ordinary build quality, ordinary dealer service,ordinary resale etc I get a smile on my face when i go around corners faster than should be able , hit 5000 rpm , hit the rev limiter , know i drive the best and least popular hot hatch.

definately car on which not to spend your own money on !

i'm in love again

jpg

The bash plate for the sump is very flimsy plastic... I know this because a rock hit it and smashed a hole in my sump!

also another piece of useless info... the sump is about 3 or 4mm thick.... I know this because I have the piece which was smashed.

it's not a bash plate, it's an under-car difuser.. it's not intended to protect the sump AT ALL. and i dont know of any non-4wd cars that have bash plates for the sump.

oh, and 4mm is incredibly thick for a sump !

sucks about your stone tho!! :~(

I like the way that my car likes to play a cd even if the key isn't in the ignition, what a nice way to run the battery down...

Best thing is the heat reflective windscreen (it IS heat reflective isn't it?) what use I had for that in the UK?!?!!! It WAS NEVER HOT!

Sometimes found the air con controls quite erratic... and i like how you can 'pause' the radio by pressing both volume buttons at once

Like i said, most cars have been able to play, eject, insert CDs for the last 10 years. And most, if not all switcht eh audio unit off after about 10/15 minutes of play. The Clio's switch off after about 10.

The reflective windscreen reflects UV, its a bitch and I hate it. Because the car still gets hot, just that your plastic will be more protected from worn out, but then you can always apply a few coats of amourall... the down side is if you have more than one gadet that needs to trasmit radio waves. you are f**ked. And most all in one Satnav systems don't actually reach to the little COM window anyway, so you'd need an external antenna.

If you only use a paper based navigation system, and a etag it's fine. I don't. So i hate it. And it doesn't work blocking heat anyways.

The chilled glove box. Really works. I put a couple of cans of V in there on the way to the coast and forgot about them. Found them 1 hr later and they were ice cold!

Put an opened full can of coke in the "cup holders" the other day on the way to work. A rav 4 tried to have and go and I replied. The can fell over, I missed second because I was freaking out that the contents of the can were filling up the cup holders. I lost to the rav 4, most embarrasing. I had to go into work and get about 100 napkins to soak the coke up. At least I know the holders are watertight!

Cool thing about the Clio though? Wine bottle holder in the back. I actually used them

Wine Bottle really? They fit a 1 litre bottle of Johnny Walker just perfectly!!! :wink:

And because we have a very light car and every kilo counts you need to put another one on the other side to keep the balance. :twisted:

I like how you have to take the back half of the car apart to put the back seats down. :? Then you hope the air bag doesn't go off because you have to put your seat so far forward that you are kissing the Renault badge on the wheel!!!

Although when they are down they fit a whole 4 burner bbq with side burner and a pedestal. :mrgreen: Should have thrown in a V6 instead!!!

Also before I bought the car I was never told that one of its little features was that you will get waved to by others in the same car.

I also like how you take people who call it a girls car for a test drive then when they get out go running straight to mummy!!!!!

See... bad marketing on RenAus behalf... they never put these things in the brochure goddamit!!!

Does the Clio have dead locks on the door? Like, if i park on a main street with the windows down and lock the car... can you stick your hand inside and open the door?

Another question... what is a "smart" rear wiper?! Seen it advertised in the RSC brochure... and I don't get what is so "smart" about it!

One thing you notice almost straight away is that there is no fuel lid release in the car, i was quite confused the first time i went to fill up, then noticed that i needed the key to get the cap off, then i though this is stupid, now i have my key attached to the fuel cap while i fill up where am i goin got put it? Then noticed the hanger on the fuel lid door!!!

Ingenious :wink:

One thing you notice almost straight away is that there is no fuel lid release in the car, i was quite confused the first time i went to fill up, then noticed that i needed the key to get the cap off, then i though this is stupid, now i have my key attached to the fuel cap while i fill up where am i goin got put it? Then noticed the hanger on the fuel lid door!!!

Ingenious :wink:

Haha... seems the Clio was always one step ahead Vukie!

The chilled glove box. Really works. I put a couple of cans of V in there on the way to the coast and forgot about them. Found them 1 hr later and they were ice cold!

Are you serious? Its got a chiller?

i also noticed the other day it doesnt have a conventional radiator cap placed in the conventional spot

Hey guys,

Can someone tell me which models had the "RenaultSport" stitched into the seats? Moosey informed me last night (on a brief but great drive) that only mk1s did.... please clarify this.

Cheers all!

I thought all did, it's just in the old ones the stitching was coloured, in the new ones it's black and white

I see! Sweet! Thought the seats had been replaced... awesome!

Thanks Orange (name?)

Moosey should know better,

or he just didn't notice "RenaultSport" stitched in Grey

in my 182 when he was a passenger.... :)

cheers,

Maybe I got it wrong... and he said that the Mk1 had the colour stitching... So i just thought it wasn't a stitching at all on the other models