Forum Hoggers

eb2

I was visiting another forum recently and its stated posting policy was:

"We're looking for comments that are interesting, substantial or highly amusing. If your comments are excessively self-promotional, obnoxious, or even worse, boring, you will be banned from commenting. All comments are moderated."

I've been visiting ozrenaultsport and occasionally posting on it for the last four years (previously under a different name that was deactivated). Over the years, I've found the site to be interesting, informative and amusing. However, I've noticed an increasing trend, particularly over the last 6 months, of a very few new members dominating the posting without adding to it in a meaningful way. There are a couple of recent members who post 14 to 15 times a day and feel the need to interject themselves in every topic as if it was an MSN conversation. Do they really have 14 or 15 substantial or interesting things to say? Do they even have one?

I suspect that this is driving away some of the longer standing members (e.g. pops or biologist) who used to post some really interesting stuff, but we rarely hear from them now. What do other members have to say?

Pops and bio are more likely to be busy with "Real Life" or "Life beyond/outside the forum" than being put off by chatter in the threads/ (I know for a fact that's where Pops has gone to).

It doesn't bother me at all. If I don't want to read it, I scroll past.

A.) Fair play - Im prob the most guilty of this and it is stopping.

B.) Its not hard to scroll past the post in question

C.) As much as i start tangents on threads / post rubbish id still like to think ive added value to the forum.

It's always a problem with any community. New members learn from the old ones, and a combination of rules and role models will usually see the new members settling in over time.

Remember that a new user will typically be bubbling with excitement over having found a community of like-minded people, and they'll often go a little nuts at first, settling down only after an embarrassing adolescence.

A balance must be struck between keeping things the way we like it, and making it comfortable for filthy newbs. It's all too easy to turn them off the place with heavy handed application of the rules or abusive responses to their unwanted behaviour.

So yeah: Newbs, settle, and be cool. Cool like us!

Damn, I'm cool.

Aussie Frogs forum has a really cool function that actually lets you "ignore" other forum users and their posts don't appear in threads. All you see is that they posted some dribble (oops I mean information) in the thread and if you choose you can click to view it.

Perhaps such a function could be enabled on here? Or it might already exist??

I think the forum has a good mix of loudmouths, lurkers, know it alls , know nothings, comedians, essay writers, eggsperts, reminiscers, dreamers, drum bangers, tyre kickers, pie eaters etc etc. We've even survived the odd troll attack or two..... :lol:

Its good cross section of a regular community, and a pretty well run and well behaved forum generally speaking. I certainly wouldn't want to change it.

Sure, there are some "clicky" little groups that don't mind a chinwag amongst themselves as you suggest, but its easy enough to ignore that.

I remember a time when I used to log into the Meggy section of the forum on a friday night to see what had been happening that week, and you were lucky if there had been one or two posts all week.

How times change.

It depends on the person reading as to how they read into a post. One person may find anothers coments amusing where as another member may find their comments to be boring or unnecessary.

I too am guilty of posting dribble, and then at other times i have my thinking cap on. it all depends on your mood at the time i would imagine. Ive noticed some memebers tend to ignore almost anything i post, you cant please everyone all the time. we all function diffrently. everyone has thier own way of ticking along.

What makes the world interesting is how diffrent each individual is. otherwise the world would be boring if we all thinked alike. If you take this forum too seriously (in all due respect to the moderators) then you need to get a life ! I dont mean that last comment as an insult to the forum or moderators, as they do a fine job.

Cheers

Steve

I'm fairly new to the forum and have found this an invaluable resource for a new RS owner, I've learnt so much and used a lot of the information already.

Sure, there are lots of boring and even inappropriate posts but this is to be expected. You must remember that there are a couple of non-car related headings such as Off-Topic, so you will always get stuff which may be considered not useful, boring, etc, but this is subjective and very much "in the eyes of the beholder". For example, topics about soccer, boxing, pushbikes, etc, are not everybody's cup of tea but this part of the forum is probably the most active as it stimulates conversation and interest amongst the forum community.

There seems to be something for everybody.....from technical to sporting to discussions about the weather. I think it's a good thing as I always enjoy logging on.

Ive noticed some memebers tend to ignore almost anything i post

Hah, we have that in common at least. =D

That's something you shouldn't take personally - everybody has comments which are ignored at some stage. Maybe it's a case of lengthy posts (I'm probably guilty of this also) where people don't want to read slabs of text. Being a content manager for websites in my previous life you tend to learn how people respond to online information.

Nobody will probably read this post but do I care? As long as I get a response for the important (e.g. technical) stuff I'm happy, and so far it's happened almost every time :)

I take no offence by people who ignore my posts. Im sure at some point i will ignore theirs. There can be many reasons. You may read a post but are just too damn lazy or tired to reply in the moment. Then you simply overlook it later on when you planned on replying. Internet is like that. We can choose who we want be to a certain extent. And at the same time the person on the other side has no idea who you really are anyway. Does it really matter ?

More often than not the person you are chatting with online is a completely diffrent person when face to face anyway.

This is pretty much the only forum i take the time to read. Why ? because its a great way of getting to know your car. The primary reason why all of us are here is for the passion in our cars. All the rest, as mentioned by Xeno, pushbikes, boxing, socceretc is merely a way of passing your time whilst your on here to keep yourself entertained.

Hey i cant make everybody find me interesting on this forum,. just like i sure as hell cant make every woman like me either. Far from it. Doesnt mean i lose any sleep over it :wink:

Steve

hmmm... did someone say something?

:D

But seriously, there is an ignore function with this new version of phpbb 3.x.

Click on the "User Control Panel" link at the top of the page. You'll then notice a series of tabs. The far right tab is "Friends & Foes".

Note the message that appears: "Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators."

So for those who don't like me - tough! :P

Hey i cant make everybody find me interesting on this forum,. just like i sure as hell cant make every woman like me either. Far from it. Doesnt mean i lose any sleep over it :wink:

Steve

Totally agree with everything you said Steve, and see....I read your long post. I also recall chatting to you about the Greek Islands some time ago which I thought was great but I'm sure others found very boring and irrelevant. But it was Off-topic (and possibly way off track), that's what that title is for.

And I too would want every woman to like me but unfortunately I have just the one wife :)

Click on the "User Control Panel" link at the top of the page. You'll then notice a series of tabs. The far right tab is "Friends & Foes".

Note the message that appears: "Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators."

:) There you go - problem solved.

Xeno. Yeah we got off track with our 'greek thing'. Greeks have a way of being 'too proud' at times. Our biggest flaw, but at the same time our biggest asset. lol And i confess to being way off topic at that time and we probably shouldnt have waffled on so much. But im sure they all got over it :wink:

Aaaah, you have a good woman. Ive always said being happily married is the best place to be. But i also believe being unhappily married is the 'worst' place to be.

And yep, my posts are far too long at times. I can understand why i wouldnt even get a reply. Ok. nuf said.

Time to see what the F1 qualifying results are :)

Steve

Xeno. Yeah we got off track with our 'greek thing'. Greeks have a way of being 'too proud' at times. Our biggest flaw, but at the same time our biggest asset. lol And i confess to being way off topic at that time and we probably shouldnt have waffled on so much. But im sure they all got over it :wink:

Aaaah, you have a good woman. Ive always said being happily married is the best place to be. But i also believe being unhappily married is the 'worst' place to be.

And yep, my posts are far too long at times. I can understand why i wouldnt even get a reply. Ok. nuf said.

Time to see what the F1 qualifying results are :)

Steve

:rofl:

Steve, comedy gold.

Xeno. Yeah we got off track with our 'greek thing'. Greeks have a way of being 'too proud' at times. Our biggest flaw, but at the same time our biggest asset.

Steve

Yeah, and as you know Greeks like to chat a bit (maybe that explains the long posts), they're very good at it. It's a pity they don't know how to make cars so we have to resort to French ones instead :)

How would Italians cope with a forum? They wouldn't be able to use their hands!

True, although the Greeks are just as reliant on using hands to communicate. Maybe you can add some more smilies with hand gestures to help our Mediterranean friends?

They may not know how to make cars. But we contributed to so many of todays developments that it really doesnt matter.

It was also the French and I think along with English that contributed towards resurrecting the Olympics. The French and Greeks as far as I know have never had any issues toward each other, so I dont have any problems with driving a French car. Wee wee !

Besides, where would you blokes be without us mediterraneans ? You's would still be eating pies, pasties and sausage rolls with vegemite, and cooking your barbies with Canola oil :)

Steve