New Adelaide Member

drdrei

Just a quick intro as I'm at work and lunch break is ending.

I'm new to the Renault world and hvae just bought a Clio 172 (picked up last Friday).

Already done 250km+ and really enjoying. :D

Here are some teaser pics before I get home and write up a real post.

_DSC4283.jpg

_DSC4279.jpg

_DSC4278.jpg

_DSC4281.jpg

OK. I'm back from work and uni so onto the introduction proper.

In reply to all the immaculate posts, you've probably already guessed that I'm anal and obsessive-compulsive about keeping my cars clean. Runs in the family with two brothers exactly the same.

Since owning the car I've had a good chance to explore the mechanicals and handling/draveability. Immediate impressions are of a well sorted package with some French quirks. Handling/ride compliance is probably the best part of the package, providing an astounding ride quality for the road holding capability. In fact I find the ride quality disconcerting, as it makes the car appear not to handle as well as it could ... that is until you discover turn-in and lack of understeer comensurate iwth many other harsher handling hot hatches. Points of contention are NVH levels in the rear (yesr I've been in the back with father-in-law driving) which are boomy at best and droning at worst. Who really cares when I'm going to be the driver, though. If I don't like you much I'll put you in the back :lol: Clutch is well weighted but slightly sticky. Not sure if it's my car or a trait of Clio 172/182's. Gear shifter is too far from reach with my 6'1" stature and is a bit rubbery. Might seem like harsh criticism in a intro thread, but surely my purchase of the car speaks volumes for its strengths. Especially loving the power, migrating from previous car (Starlet) :roll:

On the maintenance front Clio was a very easy car to do an oil change (remember I've only owned for 5 days, so otehr maintenance is yet to come). Somewhat labourious, though, having to remove injector cover, engine cover, engine splash guard, and needing special 8mm square tool to remove oil drain plug. Overall easy but time consuming .... can't have everything.

So a bit about me.

Love motorsport, especially F1 and MotoGP. I feel that each has been a great season for its own reasons. F1 for the Soap Opera contests with McLaren and its drivers, and the closeness of Raikonnen's (sp?) win, and MotoGP ... well for Casey Stoner. Awesome achievement by the aussie.

Also love photography, taking my trusty Nikon steed with me to most major events. Clipsal 500 is my fav (combine photography and motorsport and I'll take 1800 photos over 4 days).

For a real job I work in IT Sales based here in Adelaide. Really enjoy job and am also studying at uni.

So that's me in a nutshell. Want to know more then track on down to Adelaide and happy to meet up. :D

Hi drdrei, and welcome to the RSC world, particularly in Adelaide

Your's looks a peach, where did you find it ,and how many kms has it done?

Watch the Social column , and I'm sure we'll all catch up for a Drive Day,................ I'm the slow old bugger at the rear.

Your clutch is probably no different to everyone elses, and I don't know if anyone ever gets 100% used to / in love with it , but it's a price you pay to enjoy all the unique good stuff. The good news is that I've given 3 of mine, (172's and 182's) real stick in competition, and have never had a clutch/or any other problem

Cheers pete

Hey doc, welcome aboard! Great to see another Adelaide owner.

We get together quite frequently for drives & coffee.

A couple of those pics look like you park in one of the side steets in the City.

I, along with another member here work at the Convention Centre on North Terrace, so we should catch up for a beer after work! :)

Now were are talking :)

I too am a clean freak with some of the fellas letting me know about it :D Love to clean her up..it's so small and easy to keep very clean. I get to the wifes Laguna and think ..jeeze look at all those wide open expanses of panel :?8)

Welcome to the forum.... i thought the car was new! Phew! Congratulations.

I also work in the city (Flinders Street), the drinks after work thing sounds a top idea Qubic. Tomorrow arvo maybe?

hrhr i just went for a bit of a drive ....down the "angas river scenic drive"... at some point (fortunately i was going slow) i came up to huge a koala merrily walking down the middle of my lane. I sat there and watched it for a bit... I swear it could have entered the biggest loser competition. Interesting drive....

Have a good weekend you lot

welcome to the forum congrats on the purchase of the clio. great choice.

geez, its looks in awsome nick. i dont recall my car looking that clean and shmick the day i picked it up from the dealer !!

I nearly bought a silver clio. but scotty at MNR twisted my arm and I got the black. pain in the ass to keep clean. but its rewarding when it IS clean.

second pic...is that just off currie st ? im just taking a guess.

once again welcome bro

steve

Coromandell Place, between Pirie and Grenfell St. One of a collection of the secret parking spaces in Adelaide that are useful to know. Good thing the general masses don't venture down such streets to find parking.

Talking of how clean the car is, that's after I gave it a wash, paint cleaner, wax, tyre paint and took all wheels off to clean inside and out.

Guy that owned it before me, though, had it stored in his fully enclosed garage, under a car cover. More anal than I would ever be if I had a garage.

yeah. keeping a car under cover, avoiding gutters and tight parking spaces does miracles to keep your car looking immaculate.

taking the wheels off and cleaning them inside out. ive been thinking of doing that for quite a while now. been slack.

they get extremely black and dirty if you let it go. did you have any issues cleaning the inside of the wheels, or did they come good with normal car wash ?

Great buy then! This guy wasn't at Bridgewater per chance? I saw a garage there with all manner of sports cars all under covers etc. Doubt it but it is Adelaide after all :wink:

Sounds like the same guy. He had five other cars in there with the Clio that were all jaw dropping. M635i BMW, Mini Cooper S (original, not the softened up new model), TR4 and a couple of older Mercs by the look of the cover shape.

Now that I've had the car for little over a week I've also come across a li'l nuisance.

The car is relatively easy to start, but begins to idle rough and at higher speed it feels like it's running on three cylinders.

I've got electrical contact cleaner and will clean up the angle sensor under the airbox, and will check spark plugs tonight.

Wondering if anyone can point me to a helpful thread, as it doesn't quite relate to the "hard to start" threads ... but I'll clean the sensor just to be sure.

I had an injector plug crimp fail on me. Very similiar symptoms. Fuel usage went through the roof when it was happening as it was intermittant. New injector plug and solved. I found it by letting it idle when idling rough and reached under the fuel rail protector casting and wiggled the inj plu leads. That got her running smooth. So between murcod and my self we isolated it and replaced the plug. If you can remove the fule rail casting thta helps a lot. You'll need a 10-11mm? socket with a double knuckle arrangement.

To get to the plugs you will need to remove the whole inlet plenum chamber. I did this in the quest for my prob to check for moisture in the plug tubes etc. I found that it looked like there was some minor archging from the leads at one point on the cam cover so I insulated this point and repositioned the leads. That took about 35 min and I was having a good ol nosey whilst doing it.

If you like pm me and give me your number and I'll call you..might be easier.

Cheers.

Great buy then! This guy wasn't at Bridgewater per chance? I saw a garage there with all manner of sports cars all under covers etc. Doubt it but it is Adelaide after all :wink:

Sounds like the same guy. He had five other cars in there with the Clio that were all jaw dropping. M635i BMW, Mini Cooper S (original, not the softened up new model), TR4 and a couple of older Mercs by the look of the cover shape.

Now that I've had the car for little over a week I've also come across a li'l nuisance.

The car is relatively easy to start, but begins to idle rough and at higher speed it feels like it's running on three cylinders.

I've got electrical contact cleaner and will clean up the angle sensor under the airbox, and will check spark plugs tonight.

Wondering if anyone can point me to a helpful thread, as it doesn't quite relate to the "hard to start" threads ... but I'll clean the sensor just to be sure.

He was just off the freeway and a stunning property and the garage was like and old shed stable arrangment? They groom used the 635 as a wedding car to leave in..they left...down the rd and changed over to the hack and the 635 came back!!

I had an injector plug crimp fail on me. Very similiar symptoms. Fuel usage went through the roof when it was happening as it was intermittant. New injector plug and solved. I found it by letting it idle when idling rough and reached under the fuel rail protector casting and wiggled the inj plu leads. That got her running smooth. So between murcod and my self we isolated it and replaced the plug. If you can remove the fule rail casting thta helps a lot. You'll need a 10-11mm? socket with a double knuckle arrangement.

To get to the plugs you will need to remove the whole inlet plenum chamber. I did this in the quest for my prob to check for moisture in the plug tubes etc. I found that it looked like there was some minor archging from the leads at one point on the cam cover so I insulated this point and repositioned the leads. That took about 35 min and I was having a good ol nosey whilst doing it.

If you like pm me and give me your number and I'll call you..might be easier.

Cheers.

Hmm. Yeah doesn't seem to be a fuel injector problem, or at least, not whilst idling. I ran the car and progressively took each injector plug off and each made the car run rougher indicating they're all working well when idling. Whilst I had the plenum off I took the liberty of giong crazy with throttle body cleaner and a small amount of build up came out, but nothing unusual. Spark plugs all seem fine and no obvious problems with the leads. I'm beginning to think it's either a fuel pump or ignitor coil issue as it happens whilst under load in a higher gear. When I keep the revs up it isn't as bad.

The only other thing that I noticed that was odd was the sensor that sits in the engine block, just above the oil filter was bent and clearly broken. I'm assuming this is just an oil pressure sensor, but if it's something else then it may be what's causing the grief. Anyone know what it is?

The only other thing that I noticed that was odd was the sensor that sits in the engine block, just above the oil filter was bent and clearly broken. I'm assuming this is just an oil pressure sensor, but if it's something else then it may be what's causing the grief. Anyone know what it is?

Knock sensors are screwed into the block like that..... but I've got no idea if that could be it? It could explain your running issues if it is the knock sensor.

I've got an OBDII scanner that should show up if it's any major sensor. I'm guessing you don't live in the north eastern area?

Knock sensors are screwed into the block like that..... but I've got no idea if that could be it? It could explain your running issues if it is the knock sensor.

I've got an OBDII scanner that should show up if it's any major sensor. I'm guessing you don't live in the north eastern area?

Aha!! That could possibly be it.

I'm in the southern area, near Mitcham.

EDIT: The sensor I'm talking about is this one

sensor.jpg

Yep that looks like the knock sensor. Haynes manual for the lesser clios shows very similiar location. The tech manual you got the diagram from should have the resistance measure for the sensor listed..can you test? Murcod could certainly help with the OBDII. What does the previous owner have to say?

So your clio just runs rough (as well as idle) while its cold? I'll start accelerating in mine and when the engine gets to about 2500 rpm it will sort of die (feeling of no power). My clio does it until it starts to warm up a little (usually a couple of min). I think Mal gets this as well. I don't really mind.

Credit to you though for being so understanding. I remember the week after a brought my clio it had the "No start" issue. Man I was pissed!!!

Off topic, but I'm going into MNR on thursday for a service (get excellent help from Greg in servicing which is awesome) but I'm not sure if I want the latest software upgrade which is meant to fix any hard starting issues. Because Greg says it does lots of things, so it might fix the "needing two goes to start engine" problem, but might upset something else.. Not sure what to do :( Getting the particle filter changed though :)

GRRRRR.

Just found out that part is the knock sensor, but is going to cost me $177 (can live with that) with a 2 week wait from France!!! I can't live with that. That means I have to keep the Starlet for another 2 weeks instead of selling and getting good money for it. GRRRRRR

Bad luck, got mine out of stock in Melbourne the next day

Are MNR certain there's none in the country? It's not a slow moving part.

Try a request in "Technical" for one. Paul V or another club member may have one,..........BM Spares in Melbourne would certainly have a used one. Steve Cramp of 82348688 Manta Racing here may have one or be able to source one 82348688.

Cheers pete

GRRRRR.

Just found out that part is the knock sensor, but is going to cost me $177 (can live with that) with a 2 week wait from France!!! I can't live with that. That means I have to keep the Starlet for another 2 weeks instead of selling and getting good money for it. GRRRRRR

You could still drive it. I think it will just be knocking the timing advance around depending on what it thinks the knock sensor is saying. Perhaps try unplugging it completely and then it will just default to a "limp mode" and most likely you'll have less power but it will at least be predictable?

Hell, my wife's old Excel was like that for nearly 18mths- useless dealers..... The wiring loom was intermittent to it which made things very interesting at times (sudden power loss and trouble in 2nd gear accelerating up mild hills.) I ended up finding that myself.

So your clio just runs rough (as well as idle) while its cold? I'll start accelerating in mine and when the engine gets to about 2500 rpm it will sort of die (feeling of no power). My clio does it until it starts to warm up a little (usually a couple of min). I think Mal gets this as well. I don't really mind.

Credit to you though for being so understanding. I remember the week after a brought my clio it had the "No start" issue. Man I was pissed!!!

Off topic, but I'm going into MNR on thursday for a service (get excellent help from Greg in servicing which is awesome) but I'm not sure if I want the latest software upgrade which is meant to fix any hard starting issues. Because Greg says it does lots of things, so it might fix the "needing two goes to start engine" problem, but might upset something else.. Not sure what to do :( Getting the particle filter changed though :)

Roo I'm there Thursday as well have a supercharger fitted. Ha ha...just a service and soem Ravi strut tops washers. Couldn't get the nuts undone with Ravi so I'll get it doen on Thurs. Might see you there. :)

Drdrei - I am happy to transplant to determine if this is the cause? If you're keen let me know and I will come to you. Shant take long to test. Maybe even do it Sunday morn as I am bailing out of gold as it's too hot!! We could do it on the side of the rd.

I am bailing out of gold

Can I have some? :D

No seriously, that would be great if you could help out, but I will need to replace the sensor in any case. The issue lies in the fact that it is visibly in two pieces so will need to be replaced anyway.

Today I will be calling interstate to see what parts might be available there. Will let you know how I go. Being a golf nut (and gold nut too :D ) I'll probably rock up on the Sunday anyway.