Potential Clio buyer

LeighM

I would go for the 220 Trophy. It's not only the extra kw and torque but other improvements were made with the gearbox, throttle response etc. Is there much difference in price?

Edited by chris043

50 minutes ago, chris043 said:

I would go for the 220 Trophy. It's not only the extra kw and torque but other improvements were made with the gearbox, throttle response etc. Is there much difference in price?

I would of thought the 220 gearbox software changes are standard now on the new model. Renotech were able to update my gearbox software to whatever the latest version is. Made a noticeable difference to me. Especially with the old tendency to hang on to a lower gear for no apparent reason!

To OP do you like the look of the new model over the Trophy? I think the choice would be a real personal preference thing. If you go for the Trophy bargain hard, you should be able to get it for a very good price as it's effectively an older model being based on the series 1. 

I think I'm leaning more towards the Trophy. Is there any plans to release a new 220 variant?  

Also, what upgrades are people doing? Does anyone do "packages" (tune, exhaust and intake etc)? I'm coming from an STI Impreza for which there was unlimited options for. 

The Trophy is a good option and can be had for low $30ks now. Tuning them can be an issue though.

I think only BR Performance have cracked open the 220 ECU. But same will be the case with the new model I think.

Some good results have been achieved with a hybrid turbo on the older Clio 200 EDC, but that one has slower gear changes and steering response when compared to the 220 Trophy.  

46 minutes ago, LeighM said:

I think I'm leaning more towards the Trophy. Is there any plans to release a new 220 variant?  

I doubt that they would be releasing a new version of the 220 yet as it has only been out for around a year to my knowledge.  Once you drive it I doubt that you will want to do upgrades unless you want to do track work with it.

The newer car comes with led cornering lights. I'd probably go with that. Particularly if most of the upgrades on the 220 were used in the new 200. Drive them back to back and see what you think. If the 220 has the extra bits like the faster gear changes etc then I reckon go with that. If you can't tell them apart, go for the new one. A better drive is more important than headlights. If they drive the same, get the better headlights

Edited by chuckovski

Not sure that all the tech has been imported into the phase 2. Would be interested in thoughts after a back to back drive. We were at a dealership recently looking at the phase 2 and the sales guy said it was just facelift with the revised light config and badge change on rear. He may have been misinformed of course.