Megane Iv Gt

benxb9r

Hi all, been out of the Renault sport family for a while. Looking at upgrading the wife's boring Subaru Outback. I was keen on the Rs 220 clio but was a bit small for her. I'm now seriously considering the Megane GT with premium pack. Has anyone driven one? I just use it as a run about but wanted something not a golf gti..... like to hear thoughts on the car. Ps my last Rs was the 225, loved it. Not as much as my first and second 172's thou!

I've been considering something similar and did have a drive a while back. Definitely worth a try, ideally a longer appraisal. For me ride/body control, engine and gearbox were superb but cabin design and finishes not quite to class standards and hated the seats/driving position. Undecided re the 4WS too. Perhaps that, and the seating, would make more sense on a lengthy drive.

We have the previous version with premium pack... really nice place to be but also zippy with good handling. I think the engine is the same in the new one, although you may be longing at the larger capacity version. Lovely fuel efficiency too.

Get to drive one very often and i love it. Super comfy and smooth. The 7 speed do wonders. 4ws makes the car turn without the need for stiff suspension, so i rate it quite high.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I became the owner of my first Renault at the end of May - the new Megane GT with premium pack. Am  I happy ? Definitely...few minor foibles but I am happy to live with those, as the car is so much fun to drive, AND its very different to other warm hatches on the road. Positives : 4WS makes cornering brilliant at speed, 7 speed EDC transmission very fast and smooth, fuel economy okay given the poke it gets given on occasions, cabin design is tight but I expected that, seating shape can be a bit firm and flat but again I was aware of that so happy enough. The techno side can be a bit slow and non-intuitive, perhaps a French / English issue :) . One major gripe is the surface rust on the hubs/rotor area . I have discussed with Renault Service and they will happily paint them but said to expect rust as an ongoing issue - hmmmmmm needs to be a long term manufacturing fix I think.   All in all a happy owner.  

Another option that will be known to many hear is get the disc's heat treated.

Here is the long and complicated process about how to convert common rust (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3) to something more stable.

Come to an OzRenaultSport track day at Wakefield Part and burn the buggers till the rust goes back to far away in the universe from where it came.

My brake discs are 14 years old, not a sceric of rust.

Each to their own though. Appropriate driving will stabilise the discs with appropriate heating and cooling cycles. :)

I'll just leave my video of what I meant:

Come when you are satisfied that your engine is bedded in.

Welcome, and jokes aside the rust will pass.

Edited by clixx-io
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, vaughan said:

Watch the lift-off oversteer on the kink. ?

Now I'm thoroughly confused.

Because it's a 4WS car, will that occur at the front or the back ?

• 1 month later...

I have a Megane Gt Premium Pack and use it as a daily. I am very happy with it and it drives beautifully. Handles really well and is very smooth on the road.