New Account - Considering Options

jaycrab

Hi guys

I’ve previously had an account here (when I owned a 172) but lost/forgot my details. I’m in the market for a practical weekender so I thought I’d sign up again for access to the classifieds… I’ve recently sold an mx5 as it was too impractical and overcorrected with a sedan.

I’m currently tossing up between a G3 WRX hatch and a 250/265 RS. The main benefits I see for the WRX would be cheaper initial cost and more aftermarket options for weekend tinkering. The RS is obviously the better car from factory but more expensive and challenging to extract power myself. I’m also concerned about engine mounts, clutch, and other fragile components with added power.

Before anyone says that the RS is a much better car, yep I know this. If I was planning to keep a stock car it would be an easy choice. What I’m not sure of is how a 250/265 would compare with a WRX with a dumppipe, tune, coil overs etc.

I’m keen to hear any experiences / comparisons of any mildly modified Megane owners with issues they’ve encountered, and will obviously have a read through the forum.

thanks

I had a simple tune on my prior 808 and it went like a rocket . No major mods needed IMHO

The factory spec is so good - that's why you buy RS . Maybe a tune and a set of coilovers for track work ?

Edited by rob 240

Welcome (back)... as you're in Sydney might be an idea to pop in and have a chat with Ace.

Active on the forums

https://www.facebook.com/racespectuning/

Seconded!

Renotech appear to have partnered with a guy who does custom cats and downpipes etc, and they have tuned with Ace, extracting a very usable amount of power. From chats with them it's more about usability and tractability rather than outright power. Not sure if that helps...

...plus (and this is just my personal opinion having come from an AWD), WRX and other AWDs are basically...boring!

Thanks for the info. Race spec tuning costs look reasonable. I will definitely want some induction noise so I would get a CAI and tune as a minimum. The appeal of the WRX is that I can upgrade parts over time and e-tune fairly cheaply. I feel like any upgrades to a megane would involve handing a wad of cash to a garage without much personal involvement? i.e. less project, more outlay.

My current car is an awd and the grip is amazing. I wouldn't say it's exciting but definitely not boring.

I was in the same position as you but also considering the current shape WRX with the FA engine. The FA engine was a much more refined option but at the end of the day I just couldn't see myself in one as much as I wanted to like it. Ended up test driving the Megane without no intention of buying one and fell in love. 

My WRX wouldn't have stayed stock either, my Megane has (save for a resonator delete).

Thanks for the offer. I generally don't like bothering people with car views/tests (dealers excluded) so I think a Hertz drive will do. Plus I've spent a few hours watching youtube clips and have a bit of an idea how the 250/265 responds to various mods. 

I'm in Hornsby, so it should be pretty easy to pick up a rental and head up the old pac and wisemans ferry for the day.

• Like 1

old pac is perfect for the meg and is one of my favourite bits of road to drive on. Galston Gorge as well but its a bit too tight for my liking.

Both AWD and FWD would be great on those roads. terms of driver engagement and experience the meg > WRX in there though

Modding wise, the WRX has a heap more options available and is also something I've considered if I ever chose a WRX over Meg.

Yes, the meg does not need much modding because it is so good already. But if you enjoy modding (like me) and that's your deciding factor, WRX is better.

As an overall package and driver enjoyment/engagement meg all day any day.

• Like 2

^ yeah it's a tough call. I like tinkering and modding. It's not THE deciding factor but I'd definitely like the option. From what I've seen/read a resonator delete, CAI, dump, and tune would probably be enough for a 250/265. A WRX would need all of that, as well as suspension, sways, and brakes to be comparable, but would have significantly more potential for power increases.

I've spent a lot of time on those roads in RWD / AWD / FWD and bikes and don't really have a preference. RWD is great for flicking the rear in the Gorge, but the hairpins are very frustrating on a bike. FWD is just so easy and fun to drive quickly anywhere.

I get that, I ended up missing the tinkering/working on car factor that I had with my last BMW so ended up buying a Clio to play with and take to the track. Didn't want to mess with the 5 year warranty in the end.

I don't miss RWD as the Megane is just that capable. I do miss power oversteer though, a lot.

If you have a bike as well that may already fill that tinkering segment?

19 hours ago, jaycrab said:

^ yeah it's a tough call. I like tinkering and modding. It's not THE deciding factor but I'd definitely like the option. From what I've seen/read a resonator delete, CAI, dump, and tune would probably be enough for a 250/265. A WRX would need all of that, as well as suspension, sways, and brakes to be comparable, but would have significantly more potential for power increases.

I've spent a lot of time on those roads in RWD / AWD / FWD and bikes and don't really have a preference. RWD is great for flicking the rear in the Gorge, but the hairpins are very frustrating on a bike. FWD is just so easy and fun to drive quickly anywhere.

Yes the above mentioned are great mods. Dump/flex pipe aren't super necessary as they are quite expensive to do with not as much bang for your buck returns compared to just a tune. Unless you go FMIC + Dump/flex, then you'll be cooking. But stage 1 is a huge improvement as is.

I've also added K&N lowering springs on mine which fixes the high ride height issue. And make sure there is good rubber on them!

Personally I've owned a few WRXs including a modified Version 6 STI, and a 265 an currently a 275 Megane. 

Performance wise it's easy if you want extra from a WRX however I found the handling of the Megane far exceeds the Subaru.

The price point of a wrx maybe lower, but creature comforts are better in the Renault.

I've only got the 275 for a few more months before I change over to an S3 Audi, which is a different experience again. 

Weak point on the G3 Rexxes are the brakes, if I recall. Fade to nothing on track after 2-3 laps. You'll need to spend decent $'s to upgrade this area before seeking more power or handling.

I'm not too fussed about creature comforts as it would be a weekend toy rather than a regularly driven car. I don't have a bike currently so next car would fill that gap.

On 7/7/2017 at 8:19 PM, lisaskye said:

Personally I've owned a few WRXs including a modified Version 6 STI, and a 265 an currently a 275 Megane. 

Performance wise it's easy if you want extra from a WRX however I found the handling of the Megane far exceeds the Subaru.

From your experience, would you say that WRX with sway bars + spring upgrade handling would be on par or close to a Megane? I think comparatively it might be easier to upgrade WRX handling than to upgrade Megane power.

WRX brakes are rubbish but i think if i went that way, slotted disks, pads, and ss lines would be enough.

After curbing a shinny VW rim last night, a dirty rally car with scratches and mud flaps sounds appealing. I'm hoping to hire a 265 within the next few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

If you're down the Illawarra some time feel free to take mine for a spin. I never say no to a drive!

Except if it's a track day :)