On The Hunt For A 197, Help Me

senorandrew

Hey guys,

First time poster here. So I love hot hatches and I have finally decided to start the hunt for a Clio 197. I don't really know anything about them so I'd love some info and purchase assistance. There are two on carsales that I am looking at. I'm in Albury NSW but I will travel to either Sydney or Melbourne if need be. What should I know before buying and what mods should I be looking to get afterwards?

Thanks, 

Andrew.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/_/OAG-AD-14261894?_ga=2.158865593.2052272145.1497762044-657251387.1474513230

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/_/OAG-AD-14261894?_ga=2.158865593.2052272145.1497762044-657251387.1474513230

These are the ones on Carsales

Welcome!

Browse the Clio 3 section. There are threads that should answer most of your questions already (and more.)

As for mods, unless you are a serious track day user you can leave them stock. They are great cars out of the factory.

Lastly, what is your maximum spend?

Why a 197? Yes, I'm biased, but for your spend you should be able to get a nice 200. Which, IMHO, is a much nicer car (jus' my 'pinion!)

• Like 1

I've been on the look out for one of these also. Lately they are very hard to come by. 

$13K should get you the best 197 around. Like the poster above says, that money would get you a 200 perhaps with higher k's.

I would prefer the 197 because of the non-cup suspension, a bit softer for a daily driver. Otherwise the 200 is considered by most to be a better car.   

13K won't get a 200. The cheapest decent 200 went for 13.5K from memory and that was a bargain (was black).

13K should get a really good low klm 197. Black always seem to be the cheapest regardless of model.

Edited by apple3337

I can recall a 200 Cup Trophee going for sale in Brisbane a couple of months ago, not much over 100k's for around $9K. Full service history and looked in great condition.  

Was sold in a few days. 

Edited by xeno182

13K won't get a 200. The cheapest decent 200 went for 13.5K

Oh really?! Do you have a secret source of actual prices paid? Because I can tell you I paid much less than that for my 2011, 76,000km car earlier this year. And, at the time, I had a choice of two others who would accept significantly less than the carsales posted price. Yes, it's sad but true: Renaults have crap resale values [emoji21] and sit around, unsold, for months and months.

The k's aren't too high. But the price is a bit high for the k's.  

I've been keeping an eye out for the one in Melb, but it hasn't been reduced at all for several months.  

You posted the same car twice but I assume it's the 2 black 197's.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2009/SSE-AD-4700674/?Cr=1

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Clio-2008/OAG-AD-14261894/?Cr=2

I would have thought more like 10K for those. Maybe less.

If you can crunch someone like ttimbo then good luck to you.

Maybe this: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2010/SSE-AD-4748302/?Cr=3

Edited by apple3337

Oh really?! Do you have a secret source of actual prices paid? Because I can tell you I paid much less than that for my 2011, 76,000km car earlier this year. And, at the time, I had a choice of two others who would accept significantly less than the carsales posted price. Yes, it's sad but true: Renaults have crap resale values [emoji21] and sit around, unsold, for months and months.

It's not just Renaults that sit around for months. Lots of other cars do as well, I've been looking for a "reasonably priced car" my son can learn in. 

The biggest factor I've found is the transmission. The cars which hang around the longest are usually MANUAL.

Most people in this country don't know how to drive them.

And of course all RSs bar the Clio IV are just that........ 

Not really cheaper considering you've got to go to NSW to buy it (otherwise buy unseen and transport costs), and re-register it, etc. Must be a pain in the a*** buying interstate.  

He's in Albury so hardly any difference buying from Sydney or Melbourne.

The difference 3,000km is bugger all IMHO. The 2008 one in Melbourne has steering wheel in great condition and clean interior. That would be the one I'd take.

On cars in this price range, provided the car hasn't been abused, the biggest issue is not k's so much as service history (ie, when the major service with belts is due), tyres and amount of registration remaining. Each of these items represents almost 10 and as high as 15% of the purchase price, which you'll need to factor in.

He's in Albury so hardly any difference buying from Sydney or Melbourne.

The difference 3,000km is bugger all IMHO. The 2008 one in Melbourne has steering wheel in great condition and clean interior. That would be the one I'd take.

What's the deal with Albury? I assume it must be a NSW registration, or can they have either? In that case I'd go with the NSW car. 

And yes the steering wheel condition is a big one for me - pet hate.....melted Clio steering wheels. 

I'll let Megane owners comment, but the threshold issue for me is NA vs FI. I have had a succession of FI cars and they're great. But, for a fun car, a toy (which my 200 Cup is) I prefer the visceral sense of NA.

Very different cars, Meg vs Clio. You might want to drive them both and see what you prefer.

The silver 225 in Cairnlea looks quite good - low k's, good condition and reasonably priced.

Like apple says above, very different cars, you should go drive them first. 

The blue one must be a cup - red calipers, anthracite wheels, etc. Best 225 colour in my opinion. Not sure why he's got those silly protection strips around the car, hopefully they come off without affecting the paint. That car also looks a good buy. 

Edited by xeno182

Yep will do, are there any differences in reliability between the two? Also if you were in my position would you stick with the clio?

There's the turbo crew and the NA crew.

I've not owned an RS in turbo form, but I'm an NA addict, as the Clio 2/3 owners tend to be.

Some here have both turbo and NA RS in their garage. Hopefully they offer their 2 cents.

But really whatever people tell you, it's up to you to drive them and go with whatever you prefer. There is no right answer. It's personal preference.

Having said that, get a Clio :laugh:

• Like 2