Advice On Rs 265 Cup Premium 2014 Vs Rs 265 Cup 2015

Doraibu

Hi Guys,

it was a pleasant surprise to find a dedicated forums just for renault sports like this!

I am about to join you guys in the pleasure of buying my first Renault!

I've got an offer for a megane 2014 RS 265 cup premium and 2015 RS 265 cup (basic) model

they both got a similar low mileage but the 2014 is 2000$ cheaper and in the colour that i prefer, liquid yellow :twisted:

From what i gather

2014 premium has

sat nav (i use googlemap/waze anyway)

reverse camera (l like this)

leather recaro seats with heated front seats (why heated? it'll just lower my sperm count)

19" alloy wheels

2015 standard cup

no sat nav - don't need

no reverse camera - sad :(

leather trim ( leather seats but not recaro. must be the add on stock, as fabric is the normal standard stock i think)

18" wheel

I guess my question to you guys is, what's the difference between the 2014 and 2015 model?

it seems the performance is the same, though there's inconsistencies, (minor decimal differences) on the "speeds at 1000rpm" on different internet cache pdfs even on the same year model

different RS link version? (surely there a way to update this)

subtle chasis/look difference? head lights beam? visio system? blutooth? iphone connectivity? etc? (i'm just making random examples)

I'm leaning towards the 2014 premium. because it's the premium package and i like the colour better, and it's cheaper. however, I wonder if I'm missing out on anything by not choosing the newer 2015 model? I just presumed updated models have certain issue fixes or minor upgrade.

i would appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to explain the differences, or provide a link/pdf etc. 

thank you so much guys! :)

• Like 1

Hi Doraibu

Welcome, and good choice!

As far as I know you'll be getting practically the same car with minor differences, which are as you pointed out.

All Meganes come with the same suspension (bar some early IIIs) so there isn't any difference there.

The 2014 should have warranty that expires in 2019.

If the ride is slightly too harsh you can always swap for 18s later.

The Recaros will be good for track days!

And yes liquid yellow looks the goods

If your looking at at the facelifted models. The range is much simpler to understand as the original shape has so many variations. 

Facelifted models are far as I understand:

RS 265 Cup

RS 265 Cup Premium

RS 275 Cup Premium

RS 275 Trophy

RS 275 Trophy R 

I am not sure about 100% specifics of each, very minor changes.

All face lifted cars have LSDs, the same infotainment system, brembo brakes etc. 

Standard Cup comes with just the car (Recaros or big leather heated seats being optional). Premiums add recaro, leather and bigger wheels standard.

Trophy gives same as premium, but you get alcantara everywhere, titanium exhaust and a small power boost.

Its a buyers market at the moment. But it will still depreciate. However if you want to sell in the future, liquid yellow colour, with recaros in premium or trophy spec will be most desirable for reselling. 

thanks for the replies guys!

I think I might go for the yellow 2014 cup premium then. The extra goodies seems too hard to pass, and of course the colour :)

Zarnow - Aren't they all "facelifted" after 2013? 

Hi Doraibu
Welcome, and good choice!
As far as I know you'll be getting practically the same car with minor differences, which are as you pointed out.
All Meganes come with the same suspension (bar some early IIIs) so there isn't any difference there.
The 2014 should have warranty that expires in 2019.
If the ride is slightly too harsh you can always swap for 18s later.
The Recaros will be good for track days!
And yes liquid yellow looks the goods

Now that i've read into 18" and 19" inch wheels, it makes me a bit worried that the premium comes with a 19" wheel. I will be using it as a daily drive car as well i think. looking to sell my old car. 

I have only tried test driving an 18" wheel with the standard 265 renault seats. It was comfy and i can see myself driving it everyday.

Maybe i'm reading too much into forums, but it seems like the combination of recaro seats +19" wheel may not be a pleasant ride on a daily basis. I'm sure i can swap the wheels to 18", but that's extra cost, and wheels that size ain't cheap. 

oh well. you only live once...

Edited by Doraibu
  • Like 1

Hey mate, might be worth having a look into warranties.

Renault shifted the Megane RS from a three-year warranty to a five-year unlimited km deal in July 2014, so that 2014 car may already have run out of warranty (mine has) whereas the 2015 car should offer another two years of worry-free motoring.

Happy hunting. 

Dave.

Hey mate, might be worth having a look into warranties.

Renault shifted the Megane RS from a three-year warranty to a five-year unlimited km deal in July 2014, so that 2014 car may already have run out of warranty (mine has) whereas the 2015 car should offer another two years of worry-free motoring.

Happy hunting.

Dave.

If it's a true cup premium it is by definition a facelift model
  • Like 1

thanks for the replies guys!

I think I might go for the yellow 2014 cup premium then. The extra goodies seems too hard to pass, and of course the colour :)

Zarnow - Aren't they all "facelifted" after 2013? My 275's my daily driver. No issues at all with regards to ride/seat comfort, compared to the Recaro's in ST's, they are positively luxurious. Ok, it'll never forgive a pot hole in the road in the way a less focused chassis will, but hey, horses for courses. Just look out for pot holes!

Now that i've read into 18" and 19" inch wheels, it makes me a bit worried that the premium comes with a 19" wheel. I will be using it as a daily drive car as well i think. looking to sell my old car. 

I have only tried test driving an 18" wheel with the standard 265 renault seats. It was comfy and i can see myself driving it everyday.

Maybe i'm reading too much into forums, but it seems like the combination of recaro seats +19" wheel may not be a pleasant ride on a daily basis. I'm sure i can swap the wheels to 18", but that's extra cost, and wheels that size ain't cheap. 

oh well. you only live once...

Definitely go for the 2014. Because liquid yellow ftw!

Also you'll regret not having recaros after owning it for a while.

I'm sure you'll find a member with the 18's who would be willing to swap with the 19's when the time comes.

Edited by Rockman

Is liquid yellow really a selling point?

I thought it was too. I absolutely loved my yellow 8.08, as just about every knowledgeable Renault buyer seems to as well. But after advertising my car for months and getting only one call on it, I am not so sure. Seeing other liquid yellow cars on the market for months seems to support this.

Don't get me wrong - I bloody love the colour! But I think the general population tend to gravitate towards silver/grey, black and of course, white. The bold colours seem be too much for some.

Edited by speedfiend41
  • Like 2

Definitely think LY is a selling point. It Gives off that exotic car look. 

Shop around. This one in SA is only $24000 at a dealer. You could haggle it down more. But expect a bit more depreciation over the next couple of years.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Megane-2014/OAG-AD-14803679/?Cr=0

The Megane RB8 is a great one too, I believe its the only pre facelift with Xenons and R Link 2.0 together. Shame it only came in blue.

• Like 1

This.

Whatever you do get an example with the Recaros. You will regret it otherwise.

+1

I thought it was too. I absolutely loved my yellow 8.08, as just about every knowledgeable Renault buyer seems to as well. But after advertising my car for months and getting only one call on it, I am not so sure. Seeing other liquid yellow cars on the market for months seems to support this.

Don't get me wrong - I bloody love the colour! But I think the general population tend to gravitate towards silver/grey, black and of course, white. The bold colours seem be too much for some.

Sad but true here.  There must to be a very good reason why Golfs are available in 17 shades of grey/black/white plus blue...  And are the top selling hot hatch. Even the new Focus RS is available in colours of boring/boring/boring and blue...  What happened to Tangerine Scream, Ford!!!  Best colour ever applied to a Ford IMO.

It appears that while many appreciate the "hero" colours that the hot hatch manufacturers set up on some new models, when push comes to shove, more buyers tend for the less-daring colours.

Speedfiend's (and others') selling experiences tends to support this.  When I bought my Trophy R, I went for the white (black roof) but it had enough "look at me, look at me!!" with the red highlights, stripes and red wheels.  SWMBO loves her LY Clio, and wouldn't have any other colour for it.

The new model Golf R has a variant of LY as the "hero" colour in the Euro advertising for it.  It will be interesting to see if VW Australia brings that colour in, and if they do, how well it sells compares to all the other shades of boring.

To the OP, welcome to the forum, enjoy your new Meg.  get the one with the longer warranty - not because you'll need it, but because you'll have it.

Edited by No152

Thanks for all the replies guys! truely a great community.

1) the insurance is still good for another 3 years, and 4 four years for the white, so it's all good :)

2) Yea, too many boring colours out there, even on a sports car. such a waste. but i think, one of those reasons is also because of the extra charge by these dealers to make more money. Liquid yellow is additional 1000$, so i can see why people opt not to get one. even for a mazda 3, the flagship red is an extra 300$.

3)

you're selling your renault? how come? But i've been seeing alot of white and dark shades 265 out there on the advertisement too though. maybe it's like they say, the resale value of megane is lower therefore you only got one call.

4) thanks! i haven't finalised it but i think the yellow 2014 premium is the way to go, since spec wise it's the same as the 2015 but premium has more features and better colour lol. My friends also has the same opinion that i should definitely opt for the recaro seats. I'm still having second thoughts on the 19" wheel, but yea, i'll just have to live with it, or just keep my old car instead of selling. I have a feeling the cost of buying new rims and tyres and changing them would be close to the sales price of my current car anyway, haha.

Don't sweat too much about the wheels. If it's not that comfy go for a fatter tyre initially - I think it's 245/35/19 that people use that gives a sightly better ride, enough that you're not swearing every time you hit a pothole (or drive on any Sydney road). I lived happily with my 19s until I started to drive in regularly in Sydney. I should have tried the fatter tyres first but some cheap 18s came up. Don't forget you sell your 19s and buy 18s and you're about even! Also the 18s and the 245 measurements are way cheaper than the OEM!

• Like 1

Don't sweat too much about the wheels. If it's not that comfy go for a fatter tyre initially - I think it's 245/35/19 that people use that gives a sightly better ride, enough that you're not swearing every time you hit a pothole (or drive on any Sydney road). I lived happily with my 19s until I started to drive in regularly in Sydney. I should have tried the fatter tyres first but some cheap 18s came up. Don't forget you sell your 19s and buy 18s and you're about even! Also the 18s and the 245 measurements are way cheaper than the OEM!

interesting. I need to do a bit more research into tyres and rims... you can call me a n00b, but it's probably pretty obvious by now, haha.

interesting. I need to do a bit more research into tyres and rims... you can call me a n00b, but it's probably pretty obvious by now, haha.

It's taken me a few years to find all this out - was exactly where you were when I bought my own. My biggest concern was too for baby seats! It's been fun learning, particularly with this crowd who have been very helpful.

Where are you located? I learned a lot on drive days and the one track day I've been able to make it to.

Yea, getting a sports car definitely upped my care factor into vehicle specifics now. it's been a fun learning experience, and lots more to go i reckon.

I'm based in Melbourne.  Also considering going on track days once i get my 265, never been tried tracks. Will probably try to take lessons from Driver dynamics or evolve. you reckon the Defensive driving course is worth taking before the advance/track course?

Man this forum is an awesome source of info. currently reading through http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

This forum is without equal! Lots of folks with great knowledge and experience happy to share. The level of interest and responsiveness of members is truly amazing. And really good people to boot!!

• Like 1

In regards to wheels, there are a few options out there: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eozrenaultsport%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F28845-18%22-Tibor-Alloy-Wheels---18%22-Rims-For-Sale&share_tid=28845&share_fid=5329&share_type=t

If you go to the right track day you won't need driver training beforehand. I'd recommend going to a track day with driver trainers available

• Like 1

Did you quality of your ride improve (subjective, but less stiff/firm)  significantly when you changed your wheels to a size 18" ?

I presume you tried a Michelin PSS tyres too?

Even if you managed to try a fatter tyre, presumably you meant from a 235/35/19 to a 245/35/19, that's only a height increase from 82.25 to 85.75. Not much gain, versus changing to a 235/40/18, ie 94 in height. Of course there's the tyre model sidewall/rubber stiffness to take into consideration as well.

but yea, did you notice a big difference? I don't feel like tampering the suspensions. 

Edited by Doraibu

Did you quality of your ride improve (subjective, but less stiff/firm) significantly when you changed your wheels to a size 18" ?

I presume you tried a Michelin PSS tyres too?

Even if you managed to try a fatter tyre, presumably you meant from a 235/35/19 to a 245/35/19, that's only a height increase from 82.25 to 85.75. Not much gain, versus changing to a 235/40/18, ie 94 in height. Of course there's the tyre model sidewall/rubber stiffness to take into consideration as well.

but yea, did you notice a big difference? I don't feel like tampering the suspensions.

I think the move from stretched tyres to 'normal' is the biggest difference.

I hear that 235 to 245 is good enough. Let me put it this way, I went from tense bum to relaxed on one particularly bad street ... Nuff said?