Eyes Wide Open - Pre Purchase Questions

Hobz

Hi Guys I am currently looking at both these vehicles to replace my Megane GT-Line;

http://www.carpoint.com.au/dealer/details/_/OAG-AD-14359124

http://www.carpoint.com.au/dealer/details/_/OAG-AD-14181514

My request to the more knowledgeable out there who have been down this twisty road is what should I be asking and looking out for on these models(known issues, visual indicators, general warning signs) . I am really leaning towards the Megane but under pressure from wifey also for the Clio!! I get the belt issue on the Megane but happy to get the work done from a good mech in Brisbane.

Cheers

On the Clio maybe get someone with a CLIP to scan the car and check how many Launch Controls it has done as there is a maximum number in the software until the next clutch pack change.

1,500 to be precise. Would be quite an ambitious individual to try that - an easier tell would be the tyres methinks.

I have seen the Megane, it is (or was) at the Renault dealer in Launceston. It looks as good as it does in the photos, but I was only doing some tyre kicking while my car was being serviced. Recommend the road from Launceston to Scottsdale for a test drive, though watch out for rental cars in the ditch beside the road.  

• Like 2

Many thanks will definitely keep an eye out for those rentals lol, yep my main concern is buying into a ex street thrashed vehicle so will be getting a thorough pre-purchase inspect done. The launch control software sounds like my old dvd players region settings but not limited to 4 changes luckily :)

That Clio is listed wrong. Looks like a Cup and it's not a Trophy/Premium as it doesn't have leather seats.

There is a big initial price difference across the four models available so make sure anything you look at it actually listed as the correct spec so you can judge the price accordingly. 

Yep I thought it was odd that it didnt have leather seats  - dealer says its leather inserts and did a carfacts report comes up as Badge Sport Trophy - pretty confusing trying to figure. Does anyone know of a foolproof way of Identifying a Clio sports trophy from a Cup

Yep I thought it was odd that it didnt have leather seats  - dealer says its leather inserts and did a carfacts report comes up as Badge Sport Trophy - pretty confusing trying to figure. Does anyone know of a foolproof way of Identifying a Clio sports trophy from a Cup

My understanding is Trophy = Premium.

Most obvious Premium giveaways are Faux Leather seats (not inserts), climate control not just a/c and PDC + Reverse camera.

From the pics, this clio doesn't have a rear camera, it doesnt have feax leather and it has 3 knobs by the a/c, which is A/C (climate control only has two knobs and a bunch of buttons).

It's a vanilla Cup/ Sport with Cup wheels IMO, not a Trophy

Edited by stromlo