2013 Renault Megane R.s. 265 - R-Link Monitor

HappyGorilla

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me I'm looking to buy a 2012-2013 Renault Megane R.S. 265 and wanted to know why some have the R-Link 2.0 Monitor with performance tracking and some don't?

I understand there are heaps of different version - Cup, Cup +, Trophy, Trophy +, red bull verson, 8:08, Monaco GP, Aus GP etc etc but does this depend on the model year or option from new the owner ordered?

but if i buy one with nav and screen can I update the nav firstly (i think i heard Ford can do it but dunno if that's true) and also get the R-Link programmed into the mini SD card?

If so where in Vic.

And any other mods in Vic i should look into as i wouldn't mind a exhaust and cold air intake in a few months as i know with my previous car this was a challenge to get at a reasonable price. 

Thanks in advanced. 

Hi gorilla, welcome!

Firstly a few things to clarify: do you mean R-link 2.0 to be the small monochrome screen or a large colour screen? As far as I'm aware the only prefacelift Megane with this is the RB8. Then all facelift models came with it.

With prefacelift models you either got monochrome R-LINK without sat nav or sat nav without R-LINK.

A few of us have wondered about retrofitting the 2.0 but no one has done it yet.

So depending on your budget, there's a 265 cup facelift in the classifieds section which seems really good value (and balance of 5yr warranty) which has the R-LINK 2.0.

Thanks for answering so quickly and yea its a tough decision because i like the silver/ Black 19inch wheels from the older 2013 models and like the front of the older ones but really wanted the R-LINK 2.0 because how much fun would be be playing around with it.  

Where are the tech geeks who can program this surely someone has done this overseas or something?

and I know the stereos are average but who sells the adapters (cos i will upgrade it to a Alpine unit) for after market stereos in order to continue using the factory controls? 

• Like 1

There's the I.C.E. thread for all the stereo stuff, haven't done anything with mine

The RB8 sounds perfect for you then.

I did see a YouTube video of someone who had upgraded their monitor. I'm sure Renotech would have a good idea. I can ask them next month when my car's in for servicing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a complete Rlink system from a wrecked r8 redbull, the same month and year my RS was built.

I'm just about to do the fit up next weekend...Now for all, the cars come from Renault with different dash wiring looms so its just not plug in and go system. After contacting the owner of the wreck, we established a part number for the loom.

The loom is coming from France, using the VIN/Chasis of the Wrecked car.  My RS265 cup + runs a different loom. (Loom Part number can be found on the right side of the steering column behind the switch for the ESP and the light dimmer).

This requires the Dash assembly to be removed, 3hr's work, remove the console, both front seat, steering wheel. The loom attaches to both side doors, fuse box, down the left side to the rear loom and down the console. You will  also need to change the roof aerial and run a different aerial cable to the front of the vehicle, as the aerial base has the GPS locator internally, as well as the backup FM aerial base. The other aerial is of course the rear tail gate window. The standard aerial cable has two cables, the GPS cable runs 3 cables.

The right hand rear car interior trim, the back seat and the roof trim need to be removed, this is now done, took me 2 hours.

The Telematics unit for the telemetry screen lives up behind the instrument cluster, and can only be got at by removing the dash, which in theory is only a cover.

I will let the forum know how this pans out.. to do this you need every unit to the system. As a Renault dealer parts interpreter i was able to identify the modules, fittings, and special attachment cables to some units. The USB car reader and Console command unit are the same for all Models after 2012.

It was just a shame the owner of the wreck decided to cut the loom up and try fitting it to another model..woops

wish me luck....

• Like 2

I can only say taking on something like this was way beyond my expectations. 

Its not an easy job, but the reward was there in the end. I have a lot of scars to prove that manufactured plastic and metal brackets are sharp.

To remove the dash was about a 2 hour job (not Rushing) with time to stop and photo all of the wire connections and  outlets.

Two man job to safely lift the dash away.

Using the new loom, i traced the positions of the old and followed the direction, right to left.

Renault suggest removing the front doors, but not necessary if you have the correct tools.

The loom runs from drivers door connection to the passengers door connection and includes the fuse box and cables to the rear of the car (under passenger seat).

There is a lot of things to take into consideration, such as air bag removal, steering wheel and combination removal, as well as side trims, seats, console, floor carpet etc.

All in all the job started at 9.30 and i was driving the car at around 4.30 the same day.

The final result was worth it, would i do it again, sure with a bit more know how it makes it a lot easier.

I now have a top deck screen, with RS program, sat nav and of course blue tooth, and because it came out of a rb8 vehicle, its starts with Redbull logo on the screen.

Its always a great feeling when you are asked to enter the Radio code and it all starts up.

The only problem i came across was the clock was loosing time very quickly, did a factory default rest and fixed.

Any one that feels they need to know more, please contact me for any further info....

20180203_093220.jpg

20180203_093222.jpg

20180203_114446.jpg

20180203_114519.jpg

20180204_182249.jpg

20180204_182421.jpg

20180204_182429.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2018 at 7:28 PM, Sdubs said:

You will  also need to change the roof aerial and run a different aerial cable to the front of the vehicle, as the aerial base has the GPS locator internally, as well as the backup FM aerial base. The other aerial is of course the rear tail gate window. The standard aerial cable has two cables, the GPS cable runs 3 cables.

The Telematics unit for the telemetry screen lives up behind the instrument cluster, and can only be got at by removing the dash, which in theory is only a cover.

A few questions - 

What RS monitor system did you have originally? Monochrome or colour SatNav unit?

Was it just the Loom from the RB8 wreck you needed? or areials aswell?

You mention a 'Telematics unit', was that there already that you just plug the new loom into or did it come out of the RB8

It might just be easier to ask, what was required from the RB8 to make it work?

Well done by the way. Braver man than me!

Cheers (soon to be an RS owner)

• 1 year later...