Bought A Cheapie 172

kylem

So I bought a 172 for the SO to use as her runabout which she seems happy with

But...

She's had to permanently remove the rear seats to haul gear around and now the resonance from the aftermarket exhaust is so bad it blurs can almost blur vision! Any ideas to calm it down?

I was thinking of taking it in somewhere to cut and weld a quieter backbox. Any recommendations around Sydney inner west?

Actually any recommendation for a place to sort out the few odd jobs that need doing. (New spare key, ECU remap, sorting out the notorious melted steering wheel)

Also open to swaps on that exhaust if someone looking for something with some more burble?

Cheers

Welcome mate - a bigger centre resonator will make the most difference to drone. Best speak to Renotech about those other odd jobs.

Alex

Welcome mate, seems like the 172 has some admirers , photos as requested.

Regarding the steering wheel, pretty straight forward, just be careful of the clockspring, I found out the expensive way.

I know a manual spare key can be done at any normal locksmith.

• Like 1

There's your problem, I bought $20 ones and they work fine....

Can you share the process you used to pair the remote to the car. That's the bit I'm having problems with,.

Tx. :)

Can you share the process you used to pair the remote to the car. That's the bit I'm having problems with,.

Tx. :)

Very keen on this info too. I've received quotes from Renotech and the local dealer and they are sitting between $310-340 ex GST

Cheers

The list of work is growng.

1. Aircon - Compressor is not kicking in. I expect this is just a fail safe from low oil so hoping its just seal and regas...

2. Steering wheel is going to PM Leathers at the recommendation of renotech. (Peters seems like a top bloke)

3. Both rear bearings where shot - I haven't changed bearings before but seems simple enough via (http://danielgphoto.com/clio/tech/fubar/Rear_Discs.pdf) How do I check if the axle stubs are worn? Would it look obvious? I see there is rubbing on the inside arches from excessive play...

4. Bad earth in the fog light persists even after I cleaned and bent the contacts... is a new connector the only way?

• 2 weeks later...

That's some serious wear if the tyres have been touching the arches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or someone's fitted wider tyres, or has been having some fun on track. Left rear is the most likely place that you'll see rubbing marks.