First World Problems ... What To Do With $35K?!

Struan1745

And what would that be?

Comfort? Having driven one briefly (thanks Andre!) I wouldn't object to having one, though with a quieter exhaust than the Akra as much I loved it, it was LOUD

Can't believe this is an Aussie forum and no one has said SSV redline ????

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Fuel economy might come into play with that one though

And what would that be?

Dont get me wrong, the Clio 3 is an awesome piece of kit !!  Its my pride and joy  :thanks:

I have/had both cars and sold the Golf GTI PP recently for a reason, however i didn't make the Clio 3 my daily.

I now have a Meg 3 for that job :)  This compares much better to the Golf.

This could be a long list, the importance of each is purely dependent on each persons needs.

For example, i bought the golf as my kids were young and i wanted something my wife could drive as well ie. auto.

Times have changed and my kids are now a little bit older so getting them to climb into the back of a 2 door coupe is not an issue  :headbang:

- 4 doors

- DSG 

- Suspension adjustment [sport, Comfort etc..]

- Parking sensors

- Rear view camera

- fuel economy

- Turbo - effortless power

- resale value

etc.....

Dont get me wrong, the Clio 3 is an awesome piece of kit !!  Its my pride and joy  :thanks:

I have/had both cars and sold the Golf GTI PP recently for a reason, however i didn't make the Clio 3 my daily.

I now have a Meg 3 for that job :)  This compares much better to the Golf.

This could be a long list, the importance of each is purely dependent on each persons needs.

For example, i bought the golf as my kids were young and i wanted something my wife could drive as well ie. auto.

Times have changed and my kids are now a little bit older so getting them to climb into the back of a 2 door coupe is not an issue  :headbang:

- 4 doors OP doesn't want 4 doors.

- DSG  Ugh

- Suspension adjustment [sport, Comfort etc..] Meh

- Parking sensors I have them. Got them fitted for $350.

- Rear view camera Don't need it.

- fuel economy 10 to 11 litres per 100 klm around town.

- Turbo - effortless power Yeah well there is that...but you do miss the awesome soundtrack.

- resale value Clio 3's are holding up very, very well on the used car market. 2011/2012 models are pulling 50% of new price. Not bad for a 5 year old car.

etc.....

Of course they aren't for everyone, but I really don't get why some say they aren't a good daily. You don't have to be going a million miles an hour to enjoy the drive in them.

And spin up real good

Smoke up the street! If they neighbours complain tell them to shove it, cops ask why you have stockies tell them you got two flats on ya sick magz and your spares are drag radials :wink:

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Well, this is what I drove today, with initial impressions. 

RS 200 Cup - great chassis, looks good, underwhelming inside. Weird hesitation in first gear? Dealer is offering a very attractive price on a new 220 Trophy (which is what I want..) but being Brisbane there are no demos to drive (they sold the Trophy demo this week). So didn't get to play with R-Link and sit in the Recaros, or try the ride on the Trophy chassis, and the better stereo, etc etc.

Peugeot 308GTi 270 - beautiful looking car, very nice inside, great engine, great gearbox, sounds good, incredible brakes, just on the right edge of hardness between 'hot hatch' and compromise. What's not to like? Bloody expensive, although we didn't haggle with the salesman as he was the only one on the floor and a Mitsubishi guy took us for a drive ... who told us the demo had been in the yard for three months and they wanted to get rid of it. Peugeot has a $2,000 cash back offer on as well. One thing though, Peugeot has kept their stupid Peugeot Link software on the display panel which of course has no apps in it because it isn't supported in Australia ... brilliant. 

VW Golf GTi DSG - it's a Golf, in Comfort mode it's like the old man's 90 TSi (yawn) in Sport mode it crushes everything; the DSG even gives you a downshift on corner braking. It's not perfect and it doesn't look as good as the 308, but you can't fault it. Great engine, lots of technology (including CarPlay), decent room in the back. Major issue? We drove a demo with DSG and Drive Assist, dunno what the list price was new but they weren't going to budge below $45k and there's no factory bonuses or incentives from VW (understandable, they must be selling these hand over fist).

So, OZ RS folk, how much 'better' is the Trophy than the Cup? I should really have driven a Polo GTI to compare like with like on the VW side.

Edited by Struan1745
  • Like 2

Yep, I added a bit of flex into my budget ... Was planning to drive Fiesta ST and Polo, so 308 and Golf not really a fair comparison w/the Clio, more a "what if...".

Couldn't drive a new/demo Meg up either, unfortunately.

Edited by Struan1745

Hey mate, I'll repeat what I mentioned in the other thread to keep it in one place.

The sluggishness or lack of responsiveness you might have had in the Clio was probably down to comfort mode. Did any of the dealer people tell you to press the Sports mode under the handbrake? Comfort mode has a throttle deadspot on take off and general lazy response when sticking the boot in. When you switch to sport or race it really sharpens up significantly.

I don't know what the price diff is these days between a Cup Premium and a 220; but the 220 will have slightly bigger turbo and different manifolds/ downpipes (although same muffler set up i think), custom 18" that you can't get on non 220s, wrapped roof on a white one, recaros, stiffer suspension.....and that may be it. By most accounts, the 220 isn't tremendously faster than a 200, but maybe more track focused.

The premium version of Cup/ Sport gives you PDC+reverse camera/ R-Monitor/ uprated soundsystem/ "leather" and that's about it over a non-premium. The uprated sound system is more speakers and more ability to tweak settings e.g. pick a spot in the cockpit to optimise sound etc.

Edited by stromlo

Seats are not Recaro's though are they? Fauxcaro, they look nice though and probably more practical than the CS's.

Can't believe this is an Aussie forum and no one has said SSV redline ????

Can take the boy out of Dandy......

• Like 1

Seats are not Recaro's though are they? Fauxcaro, they look nice though and probably more practical than the CS's.

Can take the boy out of Dandy......

But you take him out, and put him to work in Pooraka...

• Like 2

Just put a deposit on a Clio 220 Trophy LE in matt white. W00t!

Delivery next week, hopefully.

Nice mate. When I was looking around here in Adelaide for a 220 to drive I had the same deal - only 200's to drive, even though the special was on 220's.

I'm sure you'll love it.

Nice mate. When I was looking around here in Adelaide for a 220 to drive I had the same deal - only 200's to drive, even though the special was on 220's.

I'm sure you'll love it.

I reckon your quest turned out ok Tim.... ???? To the OP, well done. Good thing the 220...

• Like 2

Never seen one in the flesh but the matte white looks great in photos.

Congratulations!

Cheers all!

There was one parked in the Service area at Metro Renault which tipped the scales for me. Apparently it belongs to one of the sales staff, which I took as a good sign. The matte white looked great with the black roof. 

Found it hard not to laugh when the "After Sales Manager" (aka Ming Moll) was pitching all the paint protection, window tints and 'leather protection' gear to me. Pretty happy with the car as is...

That frost white looks really good in the flesh - Renault had one at their tent at the GP this year. Funnily enough the missus wondered at the time what Dan would suggest re: paint correction/protection. You've reminded me to drop him a line.

Congrats on the purchase.

• Like 1

That frost white looks really good in the flesh - Renault had one at their tent at the GP this year. Funnily enough the missus wondered at the time what Dan would suggest re: paint correction/protection. You've reminded me to drop him a line.

Congrats on the purchase.

Dr Beasleys Matt paint care products are awesome on Matt finished cars.

• Like 2

Matte ...

You'll upset Matt otherwise; the grammar Nazi

Hahaha autocorrected and missed that. Twice.... even put the capital at the front... doh.... Sorry Matt

Congratulations on the purchase. I'm sure you'll love it!

You should put the limited edition number up in the trophy register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers all!

There was one parked in the Service area at Metro Renault which tipped the scales for me. Apparently it belongs to one of the sales staff, which I took as a good sign. The matte white looked great with the black roof.

Found it hard not to laugh when the "After Sales Manager" (aka Ming Moll) was pitching all the paint protection, window tints and 'leather protection' gear to me. Pretty happy with the car as is...

I have a heap of Dr Beasley products from my A&D adventure if you want them

• Like 1

Congratulations on the purchase. I'm sure you'll love it!

You should put the limited edition number up in the trophy register.

Still waiting for delivery, probably not until 25 May now (leasing company estimate)!

I have a heap of Dr Beasley products from my A&D adventure if you want them

Appreciated, I'll be in contact when the car turns up. That would be great.

• 3 weeks later...