First World Problems ... What To Do With $35K?!

Struan1745

Hi all, about to get back into the world of RS after a four year hiatus. Introduction was a Clio 182 Cup, bonkers. Had a smashing K-tec exhaust that was a bit much for my previous 70 minute commute...

Anyway.

I've got about $35k in the budget and being indecisive.

Interesting in your thoughts on Meg 275 Cup new/demo, 265 Cup or Trophy used or Clio 220 Trophy.

Daily drive!

Either get a Renault GT 1.6T or wait till next year for the full RS 2.0T.

or a Clio-IV RS 220, they go well.

Agree with all above, but if I were to buy a BMW it would be with plenty of warranty. I have to say I much prefer my Megane over the M135i and M135i I've driven. They seemed sluggish, even in a straight line, compared to the Megane for some reason. That and I think I much prefer FWD.

I feel the same way about Renault in regards to warranty though that seems to be a misplaced concern.

Daily drive, depending on the roads, I'd be going with the Megane but using 18" wheels. Trophy 220 has a reputation of an even harsher ride.

As the 275 cup premium has the alcantara Recaros that would be my first choice.

Absolutely the ZF 8 speed...plus adaptive damping! Make sure it has Michelin PSS with good tread depth. I have one...no offense to Renault...but an entirely different and (IMHO) a much better daily drive...but, if you love FWD...!

• Like 3

Apparently the Clio RS220 is a big improvement over the RS200 model especially with the gearbox response and torque etc. and is still ok for a daily driver and you could probably get a new one with that amount of cash.

Second hand Porsche Boxter S - lets get real!!

Yep, agreed Porsche Boxster S 987, 2014 Clio RS, Megane Cup RS, these are what I'd grab. 2015 Megane RS275 for sale in QLD on CarSales, that'd be my first choice!

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2015/SSE-AD-4249804

Sent from THE FUTURE using Tapatalk :D

• Like 1

Yep...looks the goods and is certainly cheap but the main problem with these is that there was a major problem with the IMS bearing in earlier models (2000 to 2005) that was not eradicated til 2006 and it could cost a small fortune ($15,000 to $20,000) to fix due to engine damage it caused when it failed.  

However in saying that this one may have had the modification needed to fix the problem.

• Like 2

Ha, yes, that is the exact car I was eyeing off!

Seems a nice compromise between the Trophy-R (nails, bit much for a highway commute) and the non-Cup Megs.

Yep, agreed Porsche Boxster S 987, 2014 Clio RS, Megane Cup RS, these are what I'd grab. 2015 Megane RS275 for sale in QLD on CarSales, that'd be my first choice! https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2015/SSE-AD-4249804

Sent from THE FUTURE using Tapatalk :D

Boxsters are very nice... it's just when I see '2003' and 'Porsche' I visualise numbers with four figures in them every time I get it serviced. The 5 year warranty is a big selling point, part of the reason I started looking at RS again!

That black 987 is swag though! I'd probably get quizzed at work about my "change in personal circumstances "...

• Like 1

Well the Commander in Chief and I had a discussion this morning and with the likely addition to the family in the next 12 months, "it has to have four doors." This changes many things.

So I'm thinking 220, Cup Premo or save some coin and get GT Line for a few years.

PS I had a ride in an M135, the interior was absolutely beautiful, but it just felt a little cramped inside. I also feel there's a massive 'badge tax' in Aus for the Bavarians. But, resale and all that..

Well the Commander in Chief and I had a discussion this morning and with the likely addition to the family in the next 12 months, "it has to have four doors." This changes many things.

I know the feeling. I got a Giulietta QV for that exact reason.

S3s are super quick, but dull compared to a Megane. The GT220 is a nice car, but doesn't have the RS special stuff(perfohub, diff, brakes) but with a few more dollars and a broken RSM, you could transplant the front end of an RS into the GT. Id like to see that

• Like 1

I know the feeling. I got a Giulietta QV for that exact reason.

S3s are super quick, but dull compared to a Megane. The GT220 is a nice car, but doesn't have the RS special stuff(perfohub, diff, brakes) but with a few more dollars and a broken RSM, you could transplant the front end of an RS into the GT. Id like to see that

And the service costs on the Audi look eye-watering for a mid-life car. How did you find the QV? The Alfa / Jeep dealer network is a bit off-putting. Such a beautiful car though.

There's a few of these at Essendon Renault, seems v.cheap?!

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Clio-2016/OAG-AD-14357909/?Cr=0

How did you find the QV? The Alfa / Jeep dealer network is a bit off-putting. Such a beautiful car though.

DSC_0082.JPG

The one with the bonnet open that overheated on a Renault drive day?

imo it went really quick when it was working. Have to say that Alfa-Romeo look like they are back in the game when it comes to making decent sports-cars or hot-hatches. It was nothing major that couldn't happen to any turbo car but I can't help resharing the funny photo.

• Like 2

Agree on the S3....owned one before the M135i...nice inside, fast but ultimately boring. And every car enthusiast needs to have owned one Alfa...preferably black with a lovely tan leather interior. The love lasts about 10 months [emoji15]

• Like 2

Ha, yes, that is the exact car I was eyeing off!

Seems a nice compromise between the Trophy-R (nails, bit much for a highway commute) and the non-Cup Megs.

Boxsters are very nice... it's just when I see '2003' and 'Porsche' I visualise numbers with four figures in them every time I get it serviced. The 5 year warranty is a big selling point, part of the reason I started looking at RS again!

That black 987 is swag though! I'd probably get quizzed at work about my "change in personal circumstances "...

Boxster equivalent of "are the belts done..?" ???? Worthy question to ask before buying a Boxster of that vintage...

• Like 1

DSC_0082.JPG

The one with the bonnet open that overheated on a Renault drive day?

imo it went really quick when it was working. Have to say that Alfa-Romeo look like they are back in the game when it comes to making decent sports-cars or hot-hatches. It was nothing major that couldn't happen to any turbo car but I can't help resharing the funny photo.

Any car that's named after an Italian female is going to be temperamental :)

Actually, on this note, I've chosen not to name my Renault Megane RS250 as I couldn't think of a suitable name.

Maybe I lack creativity, but honestly, I couldn't think of an appropriate masculine or feminine name that was suitable so I gave up.

Lazy Sunday on Carsales... MY14 S3 Quattro? It even looks like a wagon! Might be a stretch to get down to $35k.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Audi-S3-2014/OAG-AD-14507648/?Cr=1

(Can't believe all my posts on OZ RS mention German cars ... sorrrrry).

That's about as ugly as my feet, no thanks :(

Edited by RS250CUP

Lazy Sunday on Carsales... MY14 S3 Quattro? It even looks like a wagon! Might be a stretch to get down to $35k.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Audi-S3-2014/OAG-AD-14507648/?Cr=1

(Can't believe all my posts on OZ RS mention German cars ... sorrrrry).

Well at least they don't mention Japanese cars !! ????????????

• Like 3

FWD, RWD, AWD, like any of you Muppets would know the difference....

FWD = 1 x of the front wheels is connected to the engine at any one time.

RWD = 1 x of the back wheels is connected to the engine at any one time.

AWD = 1 x front wheel + 1 x back wheel is connected to the engine but it's usually the just the wheels that are in the air and not any of the ones that are in contact with the ground get the connection.

First world problems = Marketing Speak. The marketing department make up all the names for the technical terms.

• Like 1

It's more simple than that, wheels are only being driven when the throttle is open.....

Wait, and you have to put the Automatic Transmission in 'D' and release the handbrake.. :mrgreen:

$35k would buy you a very nice Panigale. Has rear seat (for one) and only has one driven wheel (at the rear) but only needs the one. Solves Matt's issue of fwd v rwd v awd... comes in a range of colours, but best explored in the red. Fast and sounds amazing. Sounds almost as good as it looks.... ????

• Like 1

Hi all, about to get back into the world of RS after a four year hiatus. Introduction was a Clio 182 Cup, bonkers. Had a smashing K-tec exhaust that was a bit much for my previous 70 minute commute...

Anyway.

I've got about $35k in the budget and being indecisive.

Interesting in your thoughts on Meg 275 Cup new/demo, 265 Cup or Trophy used or Clio 220 Trophy.

Daily drive!

Clio 220, also a second set of wheels and semi slick tyres for track days all within your budget,

or try the golf gti performance package. You could also purschase the 2 year extension warranty for around 1500 and together it will be at around 35k or slightly more depending which car you buy but see you through to 2020 warranty free.

The m135i is fantastic, so rapid and walks all over any megane in a straight line. A really nice place to be, but don't like the steering as it feels slightly numb. You will be buying over 35k and no warranty left though.

Clio 220, also a second set of wheels and semi slick tyres for track days all within your budget,

or try the golf gti performance package. You could also purschase the 2 year extension warranty for around 1500 and together it will be at around 35k or slightly more depending which car you buy but see you through to 2020 warranty free.

The m135i is fantastic, so rapid and walks all over any megane in a straight line. A really nice place to be, but don't like the steering as it feels slightly numb. You will be buying over 35k and no warranty left though.

Cheers Barns. The 220 + track tyres is a good idea.

Assume you're looking at GTi used? Demo models cheapest $38k on Carsales.

And yes, the 135 is a cheap entry to the M world but having a current warranty is a big selling point!

Cheers Barns. The 220 + track tyres is a good idea.

Assume you're looking at GTi used? Demo models cheapest $38k on Carsales.

And yes, the 135 is a cheap entry to the M world but having a current warranty is a big selling point!

Yeah used dude. Find one about 2 years old already, as long as you purchase the 2 year extended warranty before the VW 3 years is up then you will be covered. It's a car to try, You might like it and little bit more room.

My wife's golf is nearly up to 3 years old and I'll have to purchase the extended warranty as I don't trust the 90 TSI model. I'm trying to convince her that we offload it now and upgrade to a Clio rs sport.

If I had the budget I'd buy her the golf r or the gti performance package but she hardly drives, 14000km in nearly 3 years.

Yeah used dude. Find one about 2 years old already, as long as you purchase the 2 year extended warranty before the VW 3 years is up then you will be covered. It's a car to try, You might like it and little bit more room.

Thanks fella that's good info. Something else to line up for a test, plenty of Golfs up here.

• Like 1

Thanks fella that's good info. Something else to line up for a test, plenty of Golfs up here.

Performance packs no longer available on the new Golfs I'm pretty sure so you need be be looking at used. Good cars as they have the mechanical lsd in them same as put into the 40th anniversary model which is the pick of the GTIs

Edited by No152

what are the criteria ? i saw 4 door, daily, 70 minute commute - 35k will get a nice 5 or so year old E500 or a 4 door 335i  - plenty of go, nicely made, plenty of family safety but still a little interesting. 

Is manual still viable ?

what are the criteria ? i saw 4 door, daily, 70 minute commute - 35k will get a nice 5 or so year old E500 or a 4 door 335i  - plenty of go, nicely made, plenty of family safety but still a little interesting. 

Is manual still viable ?

Thanks Simon, preference really is for something in warranty or less than 3-4 years old as I'll lease it through work (and would prefer the peace of mind of also still having warranty). Manual is fine (my wife actually prefers it).

Other criteria is it needs to look 'attractive', hence the RS starting point!

What about the 308 GTi 250? That way I might be able to sneak something with two doors into the garage as a weekend only car and still put the k's on something suitably French.

GTI270s are as cheap as the GTI250s second hand. I think they're understandably having a lot of trouble unloading them at the current price point

Actually I just checked, they're still over $40K. The 250 has no LSD and average brakes so I wouldn't recommend it.

However you could catch one with the remainder of an 8 yr warranty!

Actually hired a 308 for a week whilst in Europe recently and they are a delight to drive and live with however my biggest con about them is the stupid central control screen that does navigation and climate, it's stupidly slow and very frustrating for an otherwise great chassis.

Cool. As boring as it may be I would be taking a golf gti for a good long test drive. Definitely in your price range and a few manuals around as well. Easy to get a little more go if you fancy it too.

Or a LOT more, as the case may be.  If you tune up a manual, be sure to factor in a heavy duty clutch replacement in the near term, as this is the weak point in them.  Engines are virtually indestructible at some insane power levels.

If you push your budget a little more to $40k you could jump into a mk7 golf R.... Nothing can beat them for the practical x money x performance package. Alternative would be the GTI PP as mentioned, if you want to stick to the $35k.

However It must be said that these options aren't overly inspirational driver oriented cars.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I can't believe this is a Renault forum and no-one has said Clio 3 FFS!  :rolleyes: 

Go and thrash one of these on a nice road.

Here's Simon's sans Recaro: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2012/SSE-AD-4648399/?Cr=14

LY 2012! With Recaros. Not many of these around in this colour: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Clio-2012/OAG-AD-14225005/?Cr=5

It's a no-brainer. Cheap to own. Perfect as a daily.  Just ask the owners.  :news:

I can't believe this is a Renault forum and no-one has said Clio 3 FFS! :rolleyes:

Go and thrash one of these on a nice road.

Here's Simon's sans Recaro: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2012/SSE-AD-4648399/?Cr=14

LY 2012! With Recaros. Not many of these around in this colour: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Clio-2012/OAG-AD-14225005/?Cr=5

It's a no-brainer. Cheap to own. Perfect as a daily. Just ask the owners. :news:

I have a Clio 3 and it's not even close to the golf GTi PP as a daily. Yes its far more spirited and fun but lacks what many chase for the daily commute.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk