Megane Rs250 Or Ford Fiesta St

vkenneth75

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum and would like to get some of your opinions on wether I should get a 2011 MRS250 or a 2014 FiST. I've been driving my parents car for the past 3 years and this will be my first car. So I was wondering which would suit better as a daily driver while also be able to have fun on twisties during the weekend. The price difference would be the Megane being 1.5k dearer than the FiST.

Thanks !

You're asking in an RS forum, could hazard a guess as yo what answer you would get.

What is important for you in a daily driver?

Yeah I understand man, but I'd like to get some opinion from owners here.

Well, i'm looking at strong acceleration (hate pulling out of junctions when the car is under powered)

compliant ride. Doesn't have to be plush but not super stiff like those AMG suspensions. 

I test drove the megane already and found it quite comfortable to daily. I'm not too sure about the fiesta. *anyone ? 

That's about it I guess (?) 

not sure if there'll be a slight bias on this forum much, but im sure some us could vouch to go for a meg..

have you test driven any/either?

Yeah, i've test driven the Meg but not the fiesta. Only got to sit in my friend's (not the ST). How has the reliability and maintenance cost been for your meg man ?

The one you like. Fiesta STs are great

My heart's sat on the meg, my brain tells me the ST would be more of a reasonable choice as it's newer and lower milage(?) if that makes sense.. haha but somehow i'm afraid that I might be missing on something the meg has to offer the st cant.

When I drove the Fiesta I thought it was awesome but pretty firm, and from what I recall of the Meg, it's possibly a better bet as a daily in that regard. Fiesta's seats are cosy whereas you can always go non-Recaro in the Meg.

TBH I'd have a hard time choosing between these two as both are tremendous fun and durable bargains.

Anyway, sit tight as there are a few on here with much more experience with both that I that might chime in.

• Like 1

the dreaded topic everyone talks about regarding maintenance are timing belts. but it really isn't that big an issue, as its just another major service any car brand has. belts need to be changed every 4 years, so make sure the meg you're looking at has had it done, otherwise take off $1k off the price for a belt change. Possibly check if the engine mount bolt has been replaced? Some stories of the original bolt coming out and causing issues. other than that, nothing much else. They're an awesome car which you can't fault

for comfort, that depend on your seats. people like the firm feel of the recaros, others like the standard cup seats. I personally love the recaros and looks mighty cool inside the car, but agree the cup seats are softer.

Both are great cars. I have driven both. See the thread I started in the non-Renault car section below on the FiST. It is a personal decision about what is right for you but I am absurdly in love with my FiST and would buy the 2014 car every day of the week. I had a budget of up to about $60K and this is what I chose.

These things are German made and there is an amazing bond going on between a very stiff body shell, steering, power and brakes. I also have a 2011 Golf GTI with 300hp and go for the FiST keys any chance I get. The 2011 250 I drove felt heavier, older and a bit creaky.

I highly recommend getting a FiST with a stage 1 tune and slightly lower suspension in your budget. These cars have excellent low down torque, perfect driving position and clean gear change and feel so light in everything it does. Perhaps better visibility than the Meg in your blind spot and perhaps better on resale. Drive both a much as you can to decide.

Get on YouTube to see Matt Farrah of the smoking tire banging on about the FiST, that's what got me thinking.

In terms of ride, it is easily improved with your lowering springs. Eibachs or mountune. I use mine as a daily.

The recaros in the FiST do break in and soften up a bit. I find them ideal.

Edited by Isis

I had a Fiesta st and now have a megane.

Overall my megane rides much better than the fiesta over bumpy surfaces and is far more compliant as a daily driver. My megane is a 275 however and I have never driven or been in a 250 so would not know the exact differences.

If it was between a 250 and a fiesta st the choice would be much harder for me I think as the fiesta st would be alot newer and far cheaper to maintain specially with fords capped price servicing programme.

Both cars are immense fun. Around town I feel the fiesta was  slightly more fun as you could use more of the power more of the time and also the size of the car. Around the twisties however the megane is a completely different beast and is very enjoyable.

You won't go wrong either choice. All comes down to how much you want to spend and the ongoing maintenance of the car.

• Like 1

I have several magazine comparisons between the two, happy to send you copies if your interested - send me a PM.

Rory

As a young feller with relatibely shallow pockets, i would probably opt for the ST with a lower buy in price, newer vehicle, and cheaper maintenance costs. Would almost expect cheaper insuance premiums as well.

Going on looks - meg wins for me hands down.

Driving experience - i think that both would be fun, Meg would shine on the track, ST would be more fun more regularly.

Megane is equivalent to a Ford Focus. The Fiesta ST is more akin to an RS Clio.

Do you want or need the bigger car? If you don't, then compare an RS200 (or earlier) Clio to the Fiesta. That should also close the price gap, even putting it into the Renault's favour and with could be 2014 models.

Cross check the insurance costs as well. 

Having made the mistake in the past in going for the rational decision (mind you, a FiST is far from a sterile decision!) I'd recommend going with your heart.

However as some people have mentioned if you're young and single and don't need a bigger car going with the Ford makes sense.

But really whatever way you take it I don't think you can make the wrong decision. Unless you can be sure that you'll regret not choosing one. If that doesn't make sense: flip a coin, and imagine having to choose whatever one the coin chooses - if you're happy/relieved with it, then go for it, if you're slightly disappointed, then that's the one not to go for.

2 very different cars. Meg is a lot bigger (especially width), looks better (personal opinion) and the interior of the Fiesta is pretty ordinary IMO. I can barely tell the difference between the ST and the standard car, not so with the Meg.  

As somebody said above, the Fiesta should be compared to a Clio. Perhaps more zippy and fun than the Meg around town.  

Just to throw another option out there, This in QLD. A lot of fun for $11,000. Look at those low kays!

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2010/SSE-AD-4552909/?Cr=0

This one is now sold. Must have been my plug for it :biggrin: 

But... the OP should at least consider other cars just in case the Meg or Fist doesn't float his boat. Sounds like he's a young one so the more test drives he does the better.

• Like 1

Yes - as a like for like comparison, the CLIO would be a better alternative for the FiST. 

However OP likes the 250 and is making the comparison between the 250 and FiST because he is torn between the 2. 

Just saying. 

Fair enough. If it's for somebody just coming off their P's, I would choose the Fiesta.

The Meg is a far more hardcore proposition, if the driver is that way inclined. I suppose I'm speaking as a father here (with one son at early driving age)...... 

• Like 1

Fair enough. If it's for somebody just coming off their P's, I would choose the Fiesta.

The Meg is a far more hardcore proposition, if the driver is that way inclined. I suppose I'm speaking as a father here (with one son at early driving age)......

The point has been made a number of times in this forum that the Meg is much faster than can reasonably be used on the road these days in this country. Surely fun at reasonable speeds is what you want in a daily. Edited by Bingle

The point has been made a number of times in this forum that the Meg is much faster than can reasonably be used on the road these days in this country. Surely fun at reasonable speeds is what you want in a daily.

My best description of the FiST is a mixture of the Clio 3 size, (but weighs 80-100Kgs less I think), combined with Megane turbo rush and low down torque. The Fist is easily much faster than can be used (same with most cars) but its low speed fun comes from the steering and everything else. It also has a modern day 5 Star ANCAP rating. It is also hilarious through the twisties and on the track, partly due to its oversteer tendencies. It has a cheaper looking interior, I agree but the ergonomics are perfect and that to me is vastly more important.

I am not sure why the Megane would be considered a more 'hard core' vehicle?

I just cant believe the crap that I had to drive at the same age, look at the choices now!

Edited by Isis
  • Like 1

I reckon the Megane is considered hard core because it has true super car slaying qualities. The Clio and ST are great fun, but I think the emphasis is on 'fun', rather than outright brutal ability.

In the OP's position, I'd get an ST. Newer, probably easier to get experience with driving hard as well.

• Like 3

I reckon the Megane is considered hard core because it has true super car slaying qualities. The Clio and ST are great fun, but I think the emphasis is on 'fun', rather than outright brutal ability.

In the OP's position, I'd get an ST. Newer, probably easier to get experience with driving hard as well.

Agreed, hell of a first car, notwithstanding three years of driving.

What have you been driving before this the last 3 years?

I reckon the 1*2's are truly hard core, in clever hands they slay heaps of things that are bigger and more powerful. At the Nat's 2017, it took a 275 Trophy R to beat the 172's flying around PI.

As an aside, I couldnt keep up with the 172's in my ST either, but I maintain that I was a fault for driving like a pounce and not wanting to prang my daily.

Edited by Isis
  • Like 2

I reckon the 1*2's are truly hard core, in clever hands they slay heaps of things that are bigger and more powerful. At the Nat's 2017, it took a 275 Trophy R to beat the 172's flying around PI.

As an aside, I couldnt keep up with the 172's in my ST either, but I maintain that I was a fault for driving like a pounce and not wanting to prang my daily.

LOL - I drive like a punce because I dont want to prang period. So driving at 7/10s is usually enough to get my heart pounding and my heart racing.

Who am I kidding, I don't drive near or at the limit enough to be able to eke out the best of my Meg, I love the turbo rush and hooking  it in every so often and that's enough for me. Plus I love just looking at her. 

• Like 4

I am not sure why the Megane would be considered a more 'hard core' vehicle?

I've had a 172, 182 and a 225 before the 265. 

To me the 265 is a monster compared to the other 3.

I'm no racing driver, and I'm simply too scared to take it anywhere near its limits....to the point where I question if it's really the car for me.  

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't expect to get this many response ! Thanks guys really appreciate it. 

Agreed, hell of a first car, notwithstanding three years of driving.

What have you been driving before this the last 3 years?

I'm actually an international student here. So for the past 3 years before I came here last July, I was driving around my dad's gen 8 Accord 2.4L. Honestly I would consider buying one here as a daily commuter but ever since I got into my friend's Turbo S I was hooked by the amount of torque it had. Also, tried an f30 around the twisities, I friggin love it ! Hence, me looking for the same feeling *some what similar but without me having to rob a bank lol.  :44:

Would anyone have any other suggestions than the listed two ?  looking for something above 2011 100ks <  $20k < 
I'm meeting with the owner of the RS on Monday and if she's willing to let it go for a good price I think i'm gonna snap it up.

Otherwise i'm just gonna get the ST. 

In the mean time, i'm still open to suggestions.  :))

If its been properly looked after, any Meg will be a good price. They seem to depreciate at quite a scary rate.

I find that all my cars have far more ability than me both on the road and the track. I have come back to wanting enjoyment at low speeds. Its amazing how the brilliant Megane is like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, with 'only' a 2.0T in it.

Edited by Isis

I would take a look at a Clio iii. You'd definitely get a 2012 model for around 20k. Not as much oomph as a meg but a great fun chassis, high revving and fun. Cheaper on tyres fuel etc too.

As Isis says, the meg's limits and capabilities are high, the Clio 200 is at least as much fun at much saner velocities.

Edited by SimonH
  • Like 1

This has turned out to be a good thread to follow.

Keen to see what vkenneth75 does.

I've driven a RS250, RS265 and a RS200 of late.

The Meg's were great fun as i expected.

The Clio 3 on the other hand was awesome for a NA. It was such a stiff car to drive, def made me smile all afternoon.

I honestly didn't expect to have so much fun in the Clio and while both cars are engineered far above my driving abilities i think the Clio would be better for not getting yourself into a tricky situation.

Only problem though is that Clio 3's are still around 20k (2010 - 2012)

Today i saw a "Gordini" appear on carsales, never seen one before!

I was at a North Shore Renault dealer last week and they had a recently traded Hologramme Grey A&D RS200 with about 45,000km on it for less than $18k. A couple of minor issues - steering wheel leather was worn on the right side (like the previous owner wore rings on the right hand), badges were painted (badly) black (it looks like plastidip so probably pretty easy to remove).

That seems to be about the real price for these now.

That sort of money would easily get you into a 2014 Fiesta ST.

It would go even quicker with some more grip. Great effort by the guys that built it and for the driver getting the power onto the track to deliver those times. Kudos...

Actually, I was looking at the ATP Turbo site looking for stuff to go on a Renault engine and noticed that the 2.0T Focus Turbo's are quite similar to what you get a RS250.

So...

13FocusST_Overboost_infographic.jpg

I wasn't really looking at the Ford stuff at all : 

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=tp&Category_Code=FET

I was actually thinking that the same Garrett turbo that will work on a 250hp Focus-ST will also work equally well on a 250hp Renault.  :alco:

Hey guys, it's me again. I finally decided to go with the Megane. I'm probably picking it up this Tuesday. I've visual inspected and test drove it already. All seems good however just a quick question though, will it be worth doing a pre-purchase inspection by an independent mechanic or would a RWC suffice ? 

Edited by vkenneth75
  • Like 1

I like to get a mechanical and body inspection before buying used cars. Look for previous accident repairs and mechanical faults. For a couple of hundred bucks, why not? Independent mechanic always. Depending on where you live in Melb.... In the west Virage Sth Melb, in the east Auto Paris Box Hill.

Hey guys, it's me again. I finally decided to go with the Megane. I'm probably picking it up this Tuesday. I've visual inspected and test drove it already. All seems good however just a quick question though, will it be worth doing a pre-purchase inspection by an independent mechanic or would a RWC suffice ? 

Congrats mate!

You'll love it. 

I suggest a PPI. Where is it?

Congrats mate!

You'll love it. 

I suggest a PPI. Where is it?

Thanks ! I'm planning to get a ppi at Alpine Affaire @ Ringwood.

I texted the seller about having a PPI on the day i'm picking up the car before finalizing on the price & handing her over $$ and doing the transfers. She got back to me saying that she wouldn't be able to justify the cost and time driving it down from Cohuna just to get a PPI though. The car was however serviced about 3/4 weeks ago and also fitted with new tyres and brakes. I don't know if I should follow my gut feeling and buy it without a PPI. Hence, my question of an RWC being suffice haha. What would you guys do if you were me ? 

Congrats, right decision.

My advice is to get a PPI for peace of mind. For the record I rarely follow my own advice in this regard and for the most have come out ok. But get a PPI.

Thanks ! I'm planning to get a ppi at Alpine Affaire @ Ringwood.

I texted the seller about having a PPI on the day i'm picking up the car before finalizing on the price & handing her over $$ and doing the transfers. She got back to me saying that she wouldn't be able to justify the cost and time driving it down from Cohuna just to get a PPI though. The car was however serviced about 3/4 weeks ago and also fitted with new tyres and brakes. I don't know if I should follow my gut feeling and buy it without a PPI. Hence, my question of an RWC being suffice haha. What would you guys do if you were me ?

This rings alarm bells with me. Very likely the car's great and the seller lovely. BUT please don't take it on trust. You don't want an accident repaired car.

Don't be rushed into buying a car, there's always others.

Edited by Bingle

What would you guys do if you were me ? 

Get it tested near her home town. It is a long way for her to drive.

Buy it on the condition it passes a test to your satisfaction.

Edited by apple3337

This. We all know how hard it is to sell a Meg for a good price. If she wants a buyer for the car, she can at least jump through that hoop or provide that opportunity for you. An ounce of prevention as they say.

The suggestion of finding a suitable inspection place closer to her is good if they ar competent with Renaults

• Like 1

This rings alarm bells with me. Very likely the car's great and the seller lovely. BUT please don't take it on trust. You don't want an accident repaired car.

Don't be rushed into buying a car, there's always others.

Yeah, I felt the same when I got the text. I'm in no rush but I feel like it's a good deal I would have otherwise missed out on.

Wouldn't an accident repaired car be listed in the PPSR ? 

That sounds like a good idea. I'll have a look online if there are any renault specialists there.

This. We all know how hard it is to sell a Meg for a good price. If she wants a buyer for the car, she can at least jump through that hoop or provide that opportunity for you. An ounce of prevention as they say.

Exactly my thoughts man ! 

Wouldn't an accident repaired car be listed in the PPSR ? 

A PPSR will only show if it's been written off.

It could still have had serious damage and not show on PPSR.

It's likely that the car is fine but for peace of mind you want to make sure.