New Clio 220 Trophy

MidRunner

Hi

I picked up a new Trophy from the dealership yesterday. I've never owned a 'performance' car before and only driven one (WRX) on a handful of occasions many, many years ago. My previous drive was a Hyundai i30!

Since ordering the car and finding this site I must have read well over a 100 different topics top to bottom and have learnt heaps. I do have a couple of questions though I'm hoping some of you more knowledgable people may be able to assist with?

There seems to be a million different views as to the best way to run in an engine but my thinking is to take it easy for the first 1,000km or so. The manual says not to exceed 3,500 rpm which is what I've been trying to do. I'm still adjusting to the paddles and have missed the up change a couple of times though and hit approx 5,000 rpm. I'm guessing this is not too big an issue. The dealer actually told me modern engines and modern oil don't need to be run in and just go for it though I'm not convinced. Does the 1,000km and 3,500 rpm sound about right or am I being too cautious?

On servicing, the dealer said they'll do a complimentary service at 3,000km and then every 15,000km after that with the first oil change occurring then. I read the manual and it clearly says every 10,000km for RS models but no mention of a complimentary service or oil change. I'm thinking the oil needs to be done and I should pay to have it replaced at the complimentary service? Is 3,000km too much though? I always thought the first service happened around 1,000km?

Final question, I've read dozens of times that you shouldn't drive too hard until the engines warmed up. Once the engines been run in and it's time to have some more fun what exactly does that mean? Obviously the water temperature indicator going out and the oil warming up but is there an indication to what these temperatures are or how long it takes? On a decent drive today the oil temp seemed to stabilise about 85 degrees so I'm guessing that's probably it. Any insight is appreciated.

It's only been two days but so far I'm loving this car. I'm also loving this site and appreciate any advice people are able to share

Thanks

Welcome!

Bottom line is definitely wait for the engine to warm up to optimum temp them wait a bit longer before you flog it, very important for turbo engines. Optimum temp is the mid point on the gauge, if you have RS monitor to go by I'm not sure what that would look like.

Avoid short drives that don't get the engine up to operating temps during the run in period.

Make sure you don't drive it at 110 on the freeway for long distances. Always vary the revs, and ensure there are drives you go on that make the engine work hard but also have negative pressure (eg downhill).

There are varying opinions on whether or not you give it a good push during the first 1000km or not. If you want to be cautious then do as you're doing now, but many recommend redlining it every now and again (well warmed up of course).

As for the service schedule, go with it and not the dealer suggestion! 10K km for RS. If they give you a free one then ask if they can do it at 1K km, as long as there's an oil change involved.

Enjoy the driving experience!

Just go with what the manual says.

There's just a few technical considerations with the MR16DDT that makes them a little 'special' compared to traditional engines.

Read some detail about all the features here: http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/mr16ddt.html

The first is that they have special plasma-coated cylinder liners. They come from the factory already polished and shiny. This means that it's implied that the wear-in-period for an MR16DDT is less than for a conventional steel-block or alloy-block with steel-liners.

The blocks are also pre-stressed as the combustion chambers are cut. Supposedly making them straighter from the factory and having less wear-in requirement.

As for driving too hard on startup, this is a traditional thing and especially applies to the Renault F engines.

However for the MR16DDT the answer is less clear because of the above technology. Some japanese engines could take being driven hard at startup but the answer is that most people try to refrain until the engine gets up to normal operating temperature.

Best rule of thumb is longer country drives especially in hills is best. Don't have to go too hard and the terrain will take care of varying the rev range. Worst thing to do is idling in traffic of long freeway runs at constant revs.

Thanks guys

I took the car out for a good run through the national park this morning and will do so a few more times to help run in

I'll also get the dealer to do the first service at 1,000km and change the oil and filter

Thanks again

The advice above is all good. I would stick to the handbook advised service schedule and remind the dealer that it is a SPORT and not a regular Clio.

Many new cars do not need the early oil change and the CLIO is one of them. No need and don't bother IMO.

Enjoy your ownership and watch your license points. :)

Congrats on the car mate :)

I bought a new RSC last year so also did the read and wonder about run in.

YMMV  but I took the approach that the first objective was to not do anything until the oils were all up to temp, but once they were, to give the engine a work out.

But that I mean, use all the rev range with the objective of stressing the pistons. So yes, taking it up to high up the rev range in quick bursts, decelerating using engine braking and NOT sitting on highway at one set of revs. Around 1000km I did some 0-100 tests for shiz n giggles and was getting great time (RS monitor) which I posted up somewhere, so I was happy with how it went.

My stealer said the 1,000km was not complimentary and would count as one of my FP services...which was all well and good apart from the fact they said it would be an inspection of fluids not more. So i bought my own oil and have been monitoring it for any top up need - none needed. I've done 3,500km and the colour of the oil is still amber honey....so I will wait till my 10k service mid year. 

Also, look into a spacesaver spare for the boot if the pump isn't your thing. RX8's fit.

Tl;Dr: warm up the engine and give it horns. Monitor oil levels but relax, it's not running mineral oil it's running full synth, so no need to stress out about needing to change it before service intervals, although if you do, there is no downside (other than a few hundred $).

If it's running full synthetic the oil would be fine for 15,000 to 20,000km as per oil manufaturers guidelines. Most people do it every 10,000 just because it makes them feel better. As far as breaking in goes it doesnt really need to be done as tolerances are a lot tighter, better materials used and advances in oil technology have made it virtually redundant but if it makes you sleep at night follow as others have said.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

If it's running full synthetic the oil would be fine for 15,000 to 20,000km as per oil manufaturers guidelines. Most people do it every 10,000 just because it makes them feel better. As far as breaking in goes it doesnt really need to be done as tolerances are a lot tighter, better materials used and advances in oil technology have made it virtually redundant but if it makes you sleep at night follow as others have said.

I would mostly agree with the above. BUT... if you treat every set of traffic lights like you're on the drag strip at EC and doing track days and/or racing every weekend you may find it worthwhile adopting strategies others have suggested. ☺ If doing longer, normal running, where the car is getting fully warmed up, you can extend the oil change interval a bit. The longer running helps reduce (burn off) the polutants that build up and decrease the oil's lubrication. Shorter runs create a heat/cool down cycle causing condensation within the motor which contibutes to the creation of pollutants. Well that's what I've always believed. Happy to bow to greater knowledge. ???? Edited by cairnsy

I disagree with this on the oil change front. If you're driving the car regularly as it is intended to be driven (with vigour), 10k or 12 months may even be too long. Check your oil regularly especially if going on spirited drives or doing track days. Check not just level but colour, consistency and odour.

As to break in. As others have said. Avoid the long highway constant revs drive and you'll be fine. From the sounds of it you're all good on that front anyway.

Cheers,

- Sent via TapaTalk

Thanks again for all the advice.

Sounds like I'm on the right track and might be going a little too easy. A bit more fun tomorrow I guess.

The car's my everyday drive so plenty of stop start Sydney traffic but little to no freeway use. As for driving with vigour, I've come from an i30 so every drive feels vigourous! And that's around town following the speed limit. I think track days are a little way off. Sounds like oil at 10,000 km is the way to go.

Chuckovski, a drive further south of the RNP sounds good. Hope all is well and you're up for it soon. I'll definitely join the short notice drive thread in the meantime.

Thanks

Just from another owners point of view I made sure I ran the car through the rev range a bit in the first 1000km but like yourself I commute in Sydney so not terribly easy to do. Great excuse to go for a late evening blast though!

I chose to change oil and filter at 1000km and had my mechanic check everything over. All was well and the oil looked good and there was very little if any metal shavings in the filter.

I had my 10k service done at about 8500km as I had a few mods to go on the car and again the oil was perfect. That service was done by RenoTech.

It sounds like you are taking it pretty easy so I wouldn't be too concerned with an oil change outside of service intervals.

Edited by unusual