Renault Clio Sport 200 Trophee

adam976

Unfortunately I'm going to have to pass on this one.. it's too much of a hassle to get there and bring it back.

Such a great deal, but I think I'm going to have to buy one locally.

Joel, go for it! If it was in Sydney there would be pics of it in my driveway

I bought mine from Brisvegas when I lived in Newcastle.

I flew up and the owner picked me up from the airport, took me home for transaction and then I stayed with a mate that night.

Drove back to Newcastle via the New England Hwy and bonded very well with the CLIO on the way.

All the way back to VIC is just more icing on the cake. lol

Be aware that the QLD gov does NOT allow refund of rego to anybody but the QLD registered owner. I found out the hard way. I had to send the plates back to QLD after I got a NSW blue slip and registered it. (all over XMAS/New Year)  a hassle but worth it. I lost about $700 on my purchase price.

See it's out of my control. As I'm a p plater (it's gotta be insured and registered in my parents name) as it's obviously cheaper.

So if my dad says it's a hassle, can't contest that.

However, I will keep this forum updated with what I find.

See it's out of my control. As I'm a p plater (it's gotta be insured and registered in my parents name) as it's obviously cheaper.

Tell your dad to read this post.

"Dad, this is a great buy. Do your son a favour and buy it."

:nod:

Edited by apple3337

Ha ha yeah owned all 3! I assume Clio 3 200 not Clio 4 200?

Forgetting the spec sheet, my seat of pants senses tell me this:

1/ Hardest ride R27.

2/ "Softest" if you can call it that 197.

3/ In the middle somewhere is the 200.

For purely track use get the R27. A touch stiff for a daily on choppy roads.

Best daily the 200. A step up from the 197 in all regards. The 197 is still better than most cars on the road though :wink:

• Like 2

Ha ha yeah owned all 3! I assume Clio 3 200 not Clio 4 200?

Forgetting the spec sheet, my seat of pants senses tell me this:

1/ Hardest ride R27.

2/ "Softest" if you can call it that 197.

3/ In the middle somewhere is the 200.

For purely track use get the R27. A touch stiff for a daily on choppy roads.

Best daily the 200. A step up from the 197 in all regards. The 197 is still better than most cars on the road though :wink:

I had a feeling it's something like (Stiffest to Softest): R27 > Cup > 197 > 200

But I could be wrong.

197 with a map is *close* to a 200 in terms of driveability and low-down torque (Andrew was amazed by the lack of flat-spot in Patty).

Why not buy Andrew some beers and borrow his cars for an afternoon? :)

If it's registered in his name, it's an even better purchase. That will save on insurance.

Plus he'll be able to say "no, Adam, I'm using the car today".

My mum can't wait to drive it, she said "when you get it I'll be driving it more than you"

Both my parents miss driving manual the last one they drove was a v6 VW bora 7 years ago...

Oh boy, are they in for a surprise :yes:

• Like 1

Adam976 - come test drive my FRB 197. It has had the remap - sits amazingly on the road - sounds better than most cars.

It won't hurt to at least try the 197. [its the FRB197 in the classified mentioned on the first page]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

197 is so close to the 200 it's really not worth worrying over unless you're getting one with warranty remaining.

Only major thing to check is if the belts have been done / are due or close to.

Personally, I MUCH prefer the look of the 197 with projectors than a 200. Sorry guys :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dissagree with you there Nathan on the looks front. 197 front has dated quite a bit I think. The 200 still looks like it could be new (on the outside at least).

Also the 200 interior is much improved over 197. They're all little things but they add up to make a big difference in my opinion.

Stock for stock an Australian delivered 200 of any spec is much better than any 197 offering including R27 (let down by interior).

Cheers,

- Sent via TapaTalk

• Like 1

Ukalipt, I apologise if I'm referring to the wrong car - yours is the modified one on carsales for 14k right?

Tbh, a couple of things:

- my heart is set on the 200

- I don't want heavily modified due to potential unreliability

- I want a 200 with <70k on the clock.

Unreliability? Aside from a few squeaks and rattles from the mounts and bushes I'm all sweet still.

As long as you are sticking with tried and tested mods and don't go pushing the limits you'll be fine. :)

Cheers,

- Sent via TapaTalk

This was the first car I looked at.  Couple of issues:

- belts not done ($1k)

- service soon ($300)

- transfer to NSW with rego ($1800)

If you add this all up for me, based in NSW, it really isn't the best deal.

Also, It has done quite a bit of Kms, and as I do 25k + /year, i'd lose quite a bit on resale (I know I know you don't buy a renault for resale but I still need to consider it.

It's not about my budget, It's how much I believe is appropriate for a car like this. and to me, it's around the 13-15kmax margin (In NSW).

The RS200 is a niche market, and people get desperate to sell. The 197 is not factored in at all, I can pick one of those up for 10k.

Edited by adam976

I think you need a reality check.

Those reg and ins costs apply to any car so I don't know why you mention them at all.

The 197 above and the 200 trophee are great examples. Don't kid yourself you can steal them off the sellers. Astute buyers watching them will snap them up right under your nose.

Next thing, you are back where you started without a car... :news:

Edited by apple3337

Looks like the bonnet has been wrapped. Not sure why it doesn't close properly. Could just need a push to get it down all the way. Might have been popped to take photos.

It look like it has satnav. Didn't know they came with that. Must have been an optional extra.

A couple of track days are meaningless. Not a problem.

Looks pretty tidy in the pics. Akra thrown in...nice car. Price is good.

Get a pre purchase check to confirm no accident damage and the mechanicals are OK. Negotiate a price, put down a deposit subject to it passing inspection to your satisfaction. That way you hold the car and stops someone buying it before you do.

The only downside is the colour. They look great clean but that typically only lasts half an hour. :wacko:

If you can live with black and it checks out, buy it. If you don't, someone else will at that price.

Edited by apple3337

The same vintage as my old 200 and I suggest that you give the gearbox a very good trial to check for syncro problems on 3rd and 4th gear. Apart from that it sounds and looks ideal. My Trophee didn't have the RS monitor either but I didn't miss it.

Black is beautiful. :) Cleaning something you love is a pleasure.

. :) Cleaning something you love is a pleasure.

Lies lies lies...

RS monitor can be retrofitted to a non GPS car. Only the top display unit needs to be replaced.

Cheers,

- Sent via TapaTalk

Cool.

Looking forward reading your family's reviews on here.

Happy to help by the way.

Welcome to the Clio club. 8)

I know you are already talking about selling in a couple of years. Don't be surprised if:

1/ You can't bear to part with it.

or

2/ If you sell it you will immediately regret it.

Edited by apple3337

Great news!! Bought the QLD car listed above for a great price. Dad is driving back to Sydney as we speak.

I'll take some photos when I get to Sydney tonight

Can't wait to meet you guys and thanks for the help :)

Congrats mate!

Really surprised you got one with such low km's and so close to your target price.

Take care getting in and out of the car especially with denim and coa*** fabrics to keep the Recaro's nice. It's awkward at first but you get used to it.

EDIT: *within your budget! Just read your Whirlpool post. 

Edited by Numbnut