Renault Clio Sport 200 Trophee

adam976

Hey everyone!

I've been sent over here from whirlpool forums for some advice on the clio 200 trophee edition (2010-11)

- What is the realistic price I would be able to pick up one of these for? (I want to spend around 13-14k)

- Any major issues I should look out for?

I am based in Sydney, so trying to find a local one but willing to go intestate.

Here are a couple I have in mind:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2011/SSE-AD-4265715/?Cr=0

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2010/SSE-AD-4374135/?Cr=2

Thanks in advanced!

Hi. I spied a Redbull version in a Mazda dealership here in Adelaide for about $14k the other day. It's still there. One of 35 I think released here. The dealership is on Port Road, Hindmarsh. Just a heads up. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If what Mase is saying is true, that's definitely a good pick up!

The Silver 200 with an Akra, saves you the hassale of buying it :wink:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2011/SSE-AD-4265715

Or you can pick up a 197 and use the change to freshen the car up completely

Edited by ishhyyyy

Best buy at the moment is this one you listed:https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2010/SSE-AD-4374135/?Cr=2

Pity about the black (unless you don't mind cleaning it). It's got Recaro's in good condition (not all 200's do). Just check if the timing belt has been done. Due every 4 years or 100,000 klm. Budget 800 to 900 for that if not done.

That Redbull sounds interesting.

Any more details Mase? Where is it?

You'll love it when you get one. They are generally issue free.

It will be hard to get a good 200 with reasonable klm on it for 13 to 14 K. I reckon the extra $$$ is worth it over the 197 if you can stretch the budget a bit.

Edited by apple3337

I held out for about 4 months while shopping around and my preference was to buy a forum members car. If they have a car thread you can see the history under their ownership, carsales can't show the ownership experience of an enthusiast like a forum can.

Have a look through here - http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/forum/46-cars/

• Like 1

The Redbull is at the dealership I mentioned above. I haven't searched it up on line but it was there last night out the back. Couldn't see the price as I'm blind but my lady said it was around $14k iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mase

Wow, thanks all the responses! couple of things:

- As a personal preference, I do not want to buy from any dealers, private sales only.

- How does the 197 compare to the 200, is there a massive difference?

I'll check out the link of forum members cars as well!

200 looks more butch than the 197, although I think the 197 is nice and subtle and has its own appeal.

200 usually (always?) comes with the cup chassis, so better handling and the steering was revised and is quicker.

200 could be optioned with Recaros, where the 197 only had them in the R27 special edition

200 has 3 more hp, but I think a closer ratio gear box so feels a bit quicker; the 197 I drove felt slower than my 182 cup back to back

200 has the RS monitor (telemetry with g force readings, acceleration times and other silly things)

200 has bluetooth audio streaming as well as phone (not sure if the 197 has this)

200 is a four seater (no centre belt) where the 197 seats 5.

I may be wrong on a couple of details here, going from memory, but to me the 200 feels more focused.

Edited by Tubbsy

Tubbsy summed it up pretty much.

The 197 is not a bad car. It's a bloody good car! I just reckon the 200 is that little bit better.

Steering is sharper.

Engine has a bit more fizz.

Reach adjustment is handy for some.

Ride is sharper (a bit more firm than the 197 but livable as a daily).

Recaros are a big plus.

Plus the goodies inside like bluetooth for phone, music. The interior is very basic, but functional.

You can't be choosy about where you buy from. Dealer or private, you just got to find the right car. That is all.

Just get it checked by an expert pre-purchase. Renotech in Sydney. There are others interstate, just ask here for info.

Go drive one. You'll see. Just remember they are not super quick in a straight line, but once it's wound up on a nice road... :yes:

These are the last of the NA hot hatches so grab one while you can. A future classic no doubt (if not already).

I forgot the exhaust note. They sound brilliant with stock exhaust. Something turbo cars will never match. Some go for an Akra. Personally I wouldn't bother unless you have $$$ to burn. Mine are 100% stock.

Edited by apple3337
  • Like 2

Go drive one. You'll see. Just remember they are not super quick in a straight line, but once it's wound up on a nice road... :yes:

These are the last of the NA hot hatches so grab one while you can. A future classic no doubt (if not already).

I think for people used to mid-range turbo grunt it might feel slow, but keep it between 4000 and the redline and feels pretty bloody alive.

What a bargain for the price. $14 - $16k should buy a good one, perhaps with the belts due.

Well I've just been through the fun and games of purchasing a RS197/RS200.

I settled on the 200 for the above mentioned items.

As for the current ones on the market,

- Silver Cup Trophee with Akra is a good buy and the current owner sounds very genuine, just note belts and major service are due.

- The FRB 197 for sale is a gorgeous car and would be awesome if you are ok with slightly higher kms  http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/27431-clio-my08-197-frb-syd/

- Also check out this one, may still be available - major service and belts are due.  If was closer to the car this would have been mine.... Virage looked it over for me and they had nothing but good to tell.  Only issue was the seat being worn which is VERY common.  http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/27243-mel-2012-clio-rs-red-bull/

Good luck in the hunt.

I cannot emphasise enough that the 200 TROPHEE model has a huge range of extras that you won't find in a CUP or a Red Bull.

The interior is much better finished, it has nicer wheels as well as auto lights and wipers, electric folding mirrors, climate control plus Bespoke 17" rims that really look good. I sold mine (traded) with extras and a rear wing for about $12k but it later sold for $14k+.

It had over 80,000k and needed work on the 4th gear syncro. Something that you must test drive to check is ok. Many 2010/11 200s suffer from a syncromesh fault in 3rd and 4th gear.

That is not a show stopper and as long as the timing belt has been done at 4yrs, any RS200 Trophee would be a good buy.

I would offer $15k on the black one listed above and you "WILL" buy it!

The Silver one in the ACT would be my second choice on mileage but 1st choice on colour>

Another thing that is different about the TROPHEE model is that it does NOT come with the RS monitor in the dash.

The 200 has 20% more torque below 4000RPM than the 197. On that basis alone but including the better turning circle and extra HP it is a much better car than the 197.

Interestingly, the Silver "TROPHEE" advertised does not have the OEM wheels except for the spare in the boot and it does have the RS monitor in the dash. Very unusual for a TROPHEE model unless it was included in later editions than 2010.

Edited by BUSGO
  • Like 1

Interesting.

I have a 2013 which I think is called a cup, but not a trophee.  It has all the stuff you mention above, but I don't think electric mirrors.

Welcome to the murky world of Renaultsport cars, where the spec randomly changes from week to week...

One other little fact. The 197 could be optioned with Xenons, although this is extremely rare. The 200 never came with Xenons, but the Angel and Demon special edition came with projector headlights. I've retrofitted these to mine since I do a lot of night driving.

Edited by Tubbsy

Interesting.

I have a 2013 which I think is called a cup, but not a trophee.  It has all the stuff you mention above, but I don't think electric mirrors.

Welcome to the murky world of Renaultsport cars, where the spec randomly changes from week to week...

One other little fact. The 197 could be optioned with Xenons, although this is extremely rare. The 200 never came with Xenons, but the Angel and Demon special edition came with projector headlights. I've retrofitted these to mine since I do a lot of night driving.

I wonder if your car has the Carbon Fibre dash inserts? (Not real CF but polished instead of the grey panels)

Update...

- black one I listed is playing hard to get and is happy to negotiate but not really if that makes any sense.

- silver one I can pick up for 13k, but with the higher mileage I'm not too keen anymore as it'll be really tough to sell as I do 25k+ kms/year

200 has 3 more hp, but I think a closer ratio gear box so feels a bit quicker; the 197 I drove felt slower than my 182 cup back to back

Contemporary reviewers of the 197 were disappointed that was not "better" than the 182 it replaced (and no where near as good as the 182 Cup Trophy) due to extra weight and engine tune. The Clio 3 200 was the car that finally bettered the 182. It's also the last of the NA manual 3-door Clios.

That's not to say the 197 isn't great: it just had a tough job to beat the 182.

If you can confirm that the Silver is in fact a Trophee model and has had the cam chain replaced. I would go for it at that price. Good value IMO at $13k regardless of miles because the miles really mean nothing if driven mostly out of the city. If it is truly an ex exec. car based in Melbourne, it may have had a lot of commuting on it though.

As far as resale is concerned. The new price of a 2010/2011 Trophee was upwards of $40k and the loss on resale has already be done by the current or previous owners. (Listed trade price is as low as $7k at some dealers on those years)

Edited by BUSGO

I cannot emphasise enough that the 200 TROPHEE model has a huge range of extras that you won't find in a CUP or a Red Bull.

The interior is much better finished, it has nicer wheels as well as auto lights and wipers, electric folding mirrors, climate control plus Bespoke 17" rims that really look good. I sold mine (traded) with extras and a rear wing for about $12k but it later sold for $14k+.

No that's not correct.

Both Red Bull and A&D basically had full options with 18" rims. A&D had leather trim, Redbull didn't.

Try and track down that red bull in adelaide first. Could be a good one.

I'd probably be more interested in a low klm example like the black trophee.

Go have a look and a drive to let them know you are serious. Then they will start negotiating.

Does RedBull have reach as well as tilt on steering wheel and also does it have folding mirrors? I've noticed some discrepancies on these two items between "special" editions. Is very confusing.

I know this is QLD but this car was originally NSW because it was mine.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2010/SSE-AD-3961410

I bought it new back in 2010. It is an early 200 Trophee. I looked after it like it was my first child. I loved that car.

Sold it to an ex UK Renault mechanic so knew it would go to a good home.

It really is an impeccable car

I can confirm that the 200 dash plastics in the Trophee were that little bit better than any other 200. It also had all the fruit bar RS Monitor

Update...

- black one I listed is playing hard to get and is happy to negotiate but not really if that makes any sense.

- silver one I can pick up for 13k, but with the higher mileage I'm not too keen anymore as it'll be really tough to sell as I do 25k+ kms/year

RS's depreciate severely. Regardless of which one you get you need to accept the resale will be poor however at $13k there's hardly anything left to lose!  

I understand and am fully aware of the depreciation I'll cop.. However, if I buy one with lower ks to begin with than I'll be able to sell it with under 100k kms on the clock. In reality, when a euro car hits the 100k milestone value plummets

RS's depreciate severely. Regardless of which one you get you need to accept the resale will be poor however at $13k there's hardly anything left to lose!

Or to rephrase: RSS are excellent value used. ????

• Like 2

100,000 klm really kills resale on top of the usual depreciation.

If you buy a low klm example, use it for 2 years and sell with under 100,000 klm you will do surprisingly well with resale as long as it is looked after.

Low klm 200's are holding up well after they take the initial hit.

I'm not so sure, I've been looking at late model 200 pricing lately. Dealers are listing Red Bulls at around $22k and they are moving. When new 4 years ago, they were selling for $40-42k, $35k on runout (drive away)

Redbooks listing

Private sale - 18,600-20800

Trade in - 14700-16900

Ave Km 80-130 000km

I don't think Redbook listings are too far off (although most I've seen are 60-80 000km). I also think the Clio 3's are holding values far better than Clio 4's.

Edited by Daz7

Fair point but you're looking at end of life cycle units that have cumulative updates and variations from 7 years of building this chassis.

I think you're right on with the late model holding value though. Going by that logic the Meg LE should hold it's value especially with how well specced it is.

I'm not so sure, I've been looking at late model 200 pricing lately. Dealers are listing Red Bulls at around $22k and they are moving. When new 4 years ago, they were selling for $40-42k, $35k on runout (drive away)

Redbooks listing

Private sale - 18,600-20800

Trade in - 14700-16900

Ave Km 80-130 000km

I don't think Redbook listings are too far off (although most I've seen are 60-80 000km). I also think the Clio 3's are holding values far better than Clio 4's.

Fair point but you're looking at end of life cycle units that have cumulative updates and variations from 7 years of building this chassis and market feedback.

I think you're right on with the late model holding value though. Going by that logic the Meg LE should hold it's value especially with how well specced it is.

EDIT: added quote.

Those redbook listing are way over quoted. Believe me.

Depends what your buying, I've had a $15k trade offer on mine, so I don't think it's too far off. Although like everything, you get good trade or discount, pick one.

Their a niche vehicle so it's also a bit of a waiting game. But at $15-20k for a 4 year old hot hatch with the bits they have on them it's an easy call for a cheap enthusiast vehicle.

I think if I'm patient, I can score a nice clean one with <60k kms for around the 14-15k mark.

For the moment, I am able to drive my mums car (she's reluncant) up until mid-late feb.

I believe by then I should be able to find one at a decent price. Thoughts?

I doubt you will get a 200 at that price with those kms. A 197 would definitely be in that price range with that sort of kms. A 200 will less than 50k kms will be a good chunk more.

Also note that the 200 market does seem to be colour sensitive. Some colours sell faster, and attract a premium, than others.

Edited by SimonH

The 13k needs rego and a major belt service. So really once you add that up it's not so much a good deal anymore.

I'll wait for a desperate seller, and pick a 200 trophee for 15k with the major done. Many of them wait over 3 months for serious buyers so I believe it's possible.

If you're discounting every high km car and willing to pay extra because of low kms on the clock you're wasting your money and buying into the mugs game. Maintenance, condition and spec/edition is all that's important.

Ps. I clocked over to 92k this week. Six and a half years of nothing but daily driven awesome. :D

Cheers,

- Sent via TapaTalk

The 13k needs rego and a major belt service. So really once you add that up it's not so much a good deal anymore.

I'll wait for a desperate seller, and pick a 200 trophee for 15k with the major done. Many of them wait over 3 months for serious buyers so I believe it's possible.

Presume you have the obligatory snakes and aquarium to swap?

Okay so I enquired about the QLD trophee. It has 60k on it and he is doing the service on it this week. However, the timing belt is original and I got the impression aren't required to be changed until 100k?

Here is the link: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2010/SSE-AD-3961410

Edited by adam976

Okay so I enquired about the QLD trophee. It has 60k on it and he is doing the service on it this week. However, the timing belt is original and I got the impression aren't required to be changed until 100k?

Here is the link: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Clio-2010/SSE-AD-3961410

The belts are changed at the 100k km mark or 4 years, whichever is first. If you were to pick that up I'd get the belts done as soon as possible. Given that its a 2010 model, it should have already had the belts changed in 2014.

Re belts: just negotiate an appropriate discount. It will cost 800 to 1200 depending where you get it done.

If he offers to do it, insist he has the specific tools to line up the cam shafts. This is critical. Only go to a mechanic who uses these tools.

Change the water pump at the same time. It's a cheap part and makes sense to change it when the engine is exposed.

It looks like a tidy car well maintained. 16 to 16.5 K would be a very fair price.

Good luck!

Re belts: just negotiate an appropriate discount. It will cost 800 to 1200 depending where you get it done.

If he offers to do it, insist he has the specific tools to line up the cam shafts. This is critical. Only go to a mechanic who uses these tools.

Change the water pump at the same time. It's a cheap part and makes sense to change it when the engine is exposed.

It looks like a tidy car well maintained. 16 to 16.5 K would be a very fair price.

Good luck!

If its still owned by the same guy (which i think it is) then no worries there. As I said before, he is ex Renault UK mechanic so I have every confidence he will do a proper job on the belt.

Re: the belt, i would get it done for sure. Paul V used to service her every time and told me not to bother changing the belts given it was only driven on weekends and spent the rest of the time garaged.

It would be great to see it back in NSW and with a member on here. I have fond memories of that car

Okay, So I negotiated it down to 14.5k with the NSW plates. Dilemma no.2....  I'm heading to kingscliff next week, it is located roughly 1.5 hours from where the car is based. I'm trying too figure out how I would meet as I won't have a car.

• Like 2