New Guy

182sport

Hey there, new to the forums just wanted to say hi. Owned my 05 Clio 182 sport for s few months now. Love this car so far. Handles well and has great power. A few things need sorting so hoping to get some advice through the other threads/topics.

Cheers

Rowan

post-22393-0-52643100-1483880239_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks guys!

Car has zero upgrades.

Some of the things that need sorting are:

The hose off the fuel pump keeps coming off at random times. Is this common? I pop it back on but a week later if happens again.

Air con not working - leaks st 3 points after testing with dye. Need to sort that. Pain in the bum not having aircon in summer.

Clutch is quite stiff, and grab point high. Hasn't slipped yet but it does shudder a little on take off if you don't bring the revs up to 3k rpm before engaging the clutch. .

Is the torque steer typical? Have to wrestle it a bit at times.

Brake pads need doing, looking for some nice sports pad options.

Water leaking into rear passenger foot well. Only happened once after storm recently.

The clutch sounds normal. Torque steer is probably normal depending on the alignment setting, which may need checking. Footwell water indicates blocked drains from the bottom of the windscreen - pop bonnet and check right up the back corners at the bottom of the screen for dirt and leaves... although it sounds like it's gone a bit far and you might have to remove a bit more stuff (wipers, covers, etc.) to get to the blockage.

Edited by R182
  • Like 1

Clutch should only shudder when cold. Shouldn't need anymore than 2,000 rpm for smooth take off when cold. Stiff pedal is normal because it is cable operated.

Torque steer where you struggle to control isn't normal. Could be from too much camber (if it has camber bolts) or too much toe out or both. Could also be worn bushings.

Also search for posts by Matt205 for the location of the drain. It's behind the front wheel arch liner but I can't remember driver side or passenger.

Oh and I know exactly how you feel not having air con in summer!! ????

Welcome, 182s are fantastic! I'm guessing by the silver wheels yours is a non-cup?

Clutch should only shudder when cold. Shouldn't need anymore than 2,000 rpm for smooth take off when cold. Stiff pedal is normal because it is cable operated.

Torque steer where you struggle to control isn't normal. Could be from too much camber (if it has camber bolts) or too much toe out or both. Could also be worn bushings.

Also search for posts by Matt205 for the location of the drain. It's behind the front wheel arch liner but I can't remember driver side or passenger.
Oh and I know exactly how you feel not having air con in summer!!

The drains are on both sides and there is one in the middle that gets blocked up as well. I had to pull the wheel arch liners out to get all the leaves and dirt that had accumulated at the bottom of mine. There's no way for anything to get out other than water...

• Like 1

Torque steer should be minimal. I would follow this process:

Check the tyres are good condition and a good brand. Cheapies will cause problems.

Check tyre pressure is correct 36/33 psi f/r.

Check for suspension problems like bent arms, leaking struts, damaged bushes etc and check for damaged wheel rims.

Get wheel alignment done.

Check engine mounts -- all of them.

Awesome thanks for all the replies!

I'll check the drains for the blockages.

I've come from a rear wheel drive car (Nissan s15) so torque steer is quite new to me. I'll check all those suspension components and tires.

I've re looked at the clutch and it does seem to only/mainly shudder when cold and I have to rev to 2k-2.5k to stop it. I guess thats just normal cold start then. So I'll take it just easy see how long I can keep it going for. Like I said it hasn't been slipping yet.

Edited by 182sport

• 4 weeks later...