Finally Did It! New R.s 275

RobbieR

Hi Guys,

So after many months of procrastination I finally bit the bullet and ordered my new Megane RS275 Cup Premium.

I picked it up just after Christmas and so far loving every km of it!  Its Pearl White with the Panoramic Sunroof.

After having a break from track capable cars its nice to be back into something performance orientated.

I'm Brisbane based and looking forward to joining the group drives, Nebo and track days. Once I get a few thousand km's on it I'll start looking into the modifications for track.

On that note, slim line plates ordered to tidy that front/rear up  :yes:

Cheers

Robbie

post-20317-0-49202400-1483770039_thumb.jpg

post-20317-0-74510000-1483770138_thumb.jpg

post-20317-0-78782000-1483770160_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Welcome Robbie good to see more Megs in Brisbane. Check out the social thread for drives and meet ups. One scheduled this coming week.

Also suggest Lakin plate brackets for the slimline plates. Make a perfect fit for the Meg especially at the rear where standard sized plates just don't quite fit.

Cheers guys, thanks for the welcomes.  

I have looked at Lakin plates but still not sure, as I have the plates 3M plate taped on ATM to minimise the screws and was going to do the same with the new ones. I'll do some test fits when they arrive!  

Cheers guys, thanks for the welcomes.

I have looked at Lakin plates but still not sure, as I have the plates 3M plate taped on ATM to minimise the screws and was going to do the same with the new ones. I'll do some test fits when they arrive!

That can work too. Still need slimlines at the rear as the normal width plates just don't quite fit in the space at the rear to the bumper lip.

I have done the tape fix before as well. I used the outdoor Velcro from Bunnings which allows some flex but is almost as tough as pulling the screw out to remove. Adhesive bond to the paint or the plate (which is not completely flat) is the limiting factor in any such attachment though. Plus you can't attach a plate cover that way, whereas it's built in to the Lakin solution.

Edited by No152

So looking into getting opti coat pro + and toying with the idea of Paint Protection film (sun tek or Xpel) for the front of car.

Has anyone had experience with the PPF stuff?

As I will be getting into a few track days and somehighway driving thought it might be a good option to keep the paint fresh.

Alright so I know it's been flogged to death but I'm looking for new tyres for next fortnight for up coming track days.

No AD08's in the 19's size in the country. So I'm tossing up between Michelin Cup 2's or RS3's. There's a $360 difference for the cheaper RS3.

Or the random option is Nitto NT05's which are cheaper again at $300 a corner.

Decisions...

What price did you find for the RS3s Robbie?

Nt05s are relatively new. The nt01 has a sterling reputation as a road legal almost race tyre with a treadwear rating of 100(!). The NT05 has a rating of 200 which is the same as the RS3.

The RS4 is coming in the next couple of months if you've got a little while before needing new tyres.

Sent from my LG-H815

Well RS3 in 19' fitment was quoted $312 a tyre. Not sure if that includes the hankook rebate of $100 that's on ATM or not.

The NT01 isn't road legal, I spoke to two tyre shops? The NT05 is the USA Auto Cross tyre of choice, like the AD08 was the time attack tyre, so can't be that crap.

Treadwear doesn't bother me, my Megane is the weekender so I'm more interested in max grip while getting the chance to drive it.

And I'm not sure on the Pilot Sport Cup 2's, they are quite expensive but I'm tempted just to see what a Euro tyre is like VS. the jap stuff

The NT01 is certainly legal in americastan (DOT). I know a lot of people who run them on fast road cars, evo guys and mx5s, although that is certainly no proof of legality. Certainly not a great idea for a car that will ever see the rain.

I'm also interested in the NT05 as it's 95W rated in 235/40/18 (unlike most other tyres of that genre), matching the placard on my car. If you go that way let us know how you like them.

Sent from my LG-H815

I don't think the RS4s will be an option unfortunately as they're not going to be available in a suitable load rating for 19s.

Yeah the load rating is a real annoyance, not that I've ever had that as something the police have checked before.

I'm thinking maybe try the Nittos.

Yeah the load rating is a real annoyance, not that I've ever had that as something the police have checked before.

I'm thinking maybe try the Nittos.

You can be sure an assessor would :wink:

I'm also looking for tyres in Brisbane and yet to find too many good deals, so keep us posted on what you find and where. In fact, worth asking if there's a better discount for 2 sets - depending in what you're leaning towards we may be able to do better collectively.

Cheers

Edited by aress

Great idea mate, I'm sure we can get a discount for two sets same time! You chasing 235/35/19 or 245/35/19?

Only a -2% speedo change with the 245 plus the 8.25 rim will take it fine. Still deciding.... ultimately I think it will come down to what's available

I'm leaning towards the 245. Others who have gone this way have had favourable reports.

What's the load rating on the placard for cars with 19" wheels?

Sent from my LG-H815

Can't find it on mine but I thought it was 91 - someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The RS4s in 19s is 89.

Yeah I saw tyre pressures on a sticker about there but didn't see a load rating. Maybe I had a man-scan, I'll get my wife to check.

Well RS3 in 19' fitment was quoted $312 a tyre. Not sure if that includes the hankook rebate of $100 that's on ATM or not.

The NT01 isn't road legal, I spoke to two tyre shops? The NT05 is the USA Auto Cross tyre of choice, like the AD08 was the time attack tyre, so can't be that crap.

Treadwear doesn't bother me, my Megane is the weekender so I'm more interested in max grip while getting the chance to drive it.

And I'm not sure on the Pilot Sport Cup 2's, they are quite expensive but I'm tempted just to see what a Euro tyre is like VS. the jap stuff

PSC2s border on defying physics. Standard fitting on the Trophy R for good reason. As a weekender and not concerned too much about wear, they are awesome hoops!! Highly recommend giving them a crack

Thanks Jason, I have read they are good. Can you provide any comment when it's wet or when you are Street driving (cold tyre temp)? Still excellent grip?

And have you used RS3 of AD08's to compare to on another vehicle?

Cheers

Thanks Jason, I have read they are good. Can you provide any comment when it's wet or when you are Street driving (food tyre temp)? Still excellent grip?

And have you used RS3 of AD08's to compare to on another vehicle?

Cheers

Hi Robbie

I have only driven on the road (no track) and they are mighty impressive. Wet weather grip also exceptional in my experience- far better than I imagined and better than anything I have ever driven.

In the Meg on wet roads you get some very controllable slight tail out under power which is both awesome and a testimony to the grip up front. In my opinion they are worth the extra over lesser rubber, even with the reduced lifespan attributed to such soft sticky rubber!

Well first 'mod' arrived - Ez Drain valve for those easy post track day changes. I've had them before on the Subaru and it was brilliant.

Only query is - hopefully enough play on the under-tray to install and still bolt the tray up. It will stick out 35mm... c3953139e7e43aba08b2cf7c5304c4ed.jpg

Also ordered a set of Advan AD08R's in 235/35/19 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the RS3's. They perform great both on road and track. Haven't tried ADO8R's but they have a very good reputation. Another tyre worth considering is the Federal RSRR.

Yeah I've used the Federal RS-RR and it's just way to loud for my liking.

Good traction though!

$1335 AUD to my door - if no import tax applies, which it shouldn't.

New plates :) cleaned up the front and back nicely . cd2407b969d204b85fbcfc70c9e7c346.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New window tints look good! [emoji41]f6a25c2ccea9f95543876b7e0e7bb053.jpg

3M35 - darkest legal done at Solar Style. Opti-coat pro + happening next.

• Like 5

the Pilot Sport Cup 2's, they are quite expensive but I'm tempted just to see what a Euro tyre is like VS. the jap stuff

Worth every cent ! Can't beat a euro tyre ( kumho v700 semi works on lotus as they're light but the euro semis are great generally )

Am running AD08R on the Exige as a good Targa tyre for variable / wet conditions and they're very good but go off after a few laps on track days with heat

Alternatively next time , buy a set of 18s , get slicks ( not expensive ) a trolley jack and a rattle gun . Pop them on at the track . No compromised tyres needed and if it's wet your road tyres will be better than semis anyway

Edited by rob 240
  • Like 1

Very true, but the AD08R's did surprisingly well in the wet mountain run! Equal dry to the Cup's and slightly better wet (apparently) but time will tell.

• Like 1

The trophy r Cups aren't good in the wet I'd say the 08s are better. A very good all round road / track tyre . Pure semis scared me for targa as if wet no grip and until warm no grip - 08 seemed a good compromise all round

I guess after a quite few track days with semis thought stuff it I'll just go with slicks and it worked out cheaper as they last pretty well .

Edited by rob 240
  • Like 2

Ha I like it. Well once I get some decent track time under the belt and warrant more grip I think I'll go with the TSW 18's and look for a track tyre.

Need to use up all the grip it has now first!

• Like 1

So picked it up from Solar Style, Opti Coat Pro + completed. Looks bloody shiny [emoji41]

264caf2405f4f12a1f247d8cc55c8e7a.jpgd1bfa119a4a02e0f68fca776d76c94b0.jpgad19d2dfea7683209f892fe527dc2403.jpg9fe7e5e3026381b70a92b25012904661.jpg68a906574c6eaa9827ca2cd45da95c3b.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Cleaned the inside and thought why not, few more arvo pics of the old girl. bbfef3d673dfe59f04cdc3823f6d4521.jpg8111b9fe8dfc0f566e37266887d076a7.jpg54ef9b5f6a319fb0336cf5f9de602340.jpg446b4e15730743dbb44236fa8044a3c8.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A quick snowfoam session to get that brisbane rain off... 55b6c3fbe38db94c5e6ee32570346cd4.jpgbcdbe1e0bc23f13cde8bf19caa6e3649.jpg3462b9c895d5f14e53a5b3a0eefd0ead.jpg

• Like 3

Got bored so added a couple of Renault Sport stickers to the track day helmet haha.... too much? 581be3720c49977924581f58ec22e72e.jpg

• Like 2