New 197 Owner In Tassie

WILLRCS197

Hey people :)

My name is Will and I live in the sleepy little city of Devonport, Tasmania. I'm soon to be a first time Renault owner, as I've just paid a deposit on a 2009 Clio Sport 197 that i'm collecting from Melbourne mid next week. I'm pretty keen to get it.......hurry up Wednesday !!! :P

I've always been a fan of hot hatches and owning a Clio has always been on my to do list at some stage :)

I'll be completely honest and say that my knowledge of these wonderful little machines is very limited, so i'll be most likely spending many hours on here researching the hell out of my new toy. I'm just on the work computer on night shift right now, but i'll post a few pics when I get home.

Cheers.......Will

• Like 5

Congrats. Cracking car just made for those glorious Tassie roads. They are very rare in Tassie. I doubt you'll see another one.

Finding someone who knows how to do the timing belt will be your biggest challenge down there. It requires special tools to do properly. Renault dealer?

It might be an idea to get it done (if it's due) in Melb before you go back. There's some good independent guys here that can do it way cheaper than dealers.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums and congrats.

Re: Apples3337 comments about belts Virage in South Melbourne and Alpine Affair in Ringwood are both very highly regarded by forum members here. From what I've read if a mechanic stuffs up on the the belts it can result in very costly damage to the engine. And the guys and girls here stress it's not just distance but age-related stress on the belts that can cause failure.

If we bring Ruby over to Tassie on the spirit we'll hit you up for a drive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome and helpful info Andrew & 'mmh' :)

Unfortunately, my time 'over the water' is going to be very limited due to flying into Melbourne late morning and heading back via The Spirit (of course) Wednesday night.

All the service records will be supplied with the car (dealer sent me pics of these to my mobile) but regarding the timing belt, i'm not 100% sure ??? :(

I'm thinking my best bet will most likely be through the 'Neil Buckby' Renault dealership in Launceston (100kms from my place in Devonport). Won't be cheap, but obviously better than the alternative......

Cheers.......Will

Edited by WILLRCS197

The timing belt is due now if it hasn't been done. Due every 4 years or 100,000klm.

Make sure they use the right tools to do the belt. I'm not sure on the details. Something about getting it all lined up properly :?

I bought my red one from Launceston BMW/Renault and brought it to Melb. a couple of years ago. Tassie is awesome. I love it.

• Like 1

Welcome Will, it's good to have another RS in Tas - they're a bit rare over here.

I use Buckby's and have only had good experiences with them. As a Renault dealership they have dedicated Renault mechanics so there's no problem with them handling Renault engine idiosyncrasies.

Andrew - when Renault first returned to Tas, 2 or 3 years ago, Launceston Autohaus was the northern dealership, and still were when you and I bought our cars, but that didn't last long and Buckby's took over the Launceston dealership in 2014. Hobart Autohaus are still the southern dealers, so you can still buy cars through Autohaus, but dealer servicing in the North is done by Neil Buckby.

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply and i thought that must have been the case regarding the 'Launceston Autohaus' and 'Neil Buckby' dealerships.

I got the car home this morning and am really impressed with it :)

I had many hours to kill on the boat, so I spent that time wisely reading all the booklets that were supplied with the car, cover to cover......twice LOL :P

I was very pleased to discover that the timimg belt had been replaced by 'Essendon Renault' in September this year at 41,200kms. Car now has 41,725kms and the only thing i'll be immediately replacing is the perished rubbers on the B pillars.

Also, discovered my car is actually a 7/2008 build, but wasn't registered till 10/2009 (hence the confusion).

Besides a few small blemishes on the paintwork and a badly gutter rashed front passenger side rim, the car is in great condition.

The car is booked in to go over the pits for it's Tassie Roadworthy on Monday and looking at the VIC RWC supplied, it should pass with flying colours.

Cheers.......Will

Edited by WILLRCS197

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody :-) 

I've had to sell my beloved 197 to help fund my current 182 Cup LE restoration :-( 

I've spent the day cleaning her up for her new owner that is collecting her Friday morning. 

I'm certainly going to miss this fantastic little car, but I'm confident she's going to a good home ;-) 

Here are a few piccies from today......

Cheers......Will 

36280445_2017925521558992_8607761991928381440_n (1).jpg

36222609_2017925578225653_3119195852413861888_n (1).jpg

15231486_1399511540067063_1862617949_o.jpg

36227823_2017925698225641_393478326401892352_n.jpg

• Like 2