Black 182 In Perth

thrifty

This is my first French car in Australia.

I live in Perth and most your your posts seem to be Sydney/Melbourne, so keen to connect up with local owners.

Currently own and drive an Exige S, but needed something more liveable as a daily.  Its difficult to fit all the kitesurfing gear in the Lotus.  Hmm... in fact its difficult to get me in and out of, but the closest thing to a road registered go-kart I have driven.

I am semi-retired and have regularly competed in Sprint events at the RAC DTEC track near Perth airport.  It has only just recently closed down, upsetting the local motorsport fraternity.

I will upgrade the brakes on the 182 and likely see how it goes at Barbagallo.  Would be keen to compete in events which allow me into the "natural aspirated" categories (the Lotus is mildly supercharged as stock).  

Any advice on the front suspension would be good.  It seems to have had is camber adjusted.  Would like to put an LSD in it, but would like to see how an optimised front suspension works first.

Cheers Mark

• Like 2

Hi Marc,

Welcome to the forum yes not a lot of WA action on the forum but a few of us will be at the Rotary Club of Como classic car day this Sunday. If you feel like it drop in and say hi. Our club the French and Fantastic Automobile Club will have some cars on display including some Renault Sport Vehicles.

http://comorotaryarshow.com

Greg

This is my first French car in Australia.

I live in Perth and most your your posts seem to be Sydney/Melbourne, so keen to connect up with local owners.

Currently own and drive an Exige S, but needed something more liveable as a daily.  Its difficult to fit all the kitesurfing gear in the Lotus.  Hmm... in fact its difficult to get me in and out of, but the closest thing to a road registered go-kart I have driven.

I am semi-retired and have regularly competed in Sprint events at the RAC DTEC track near Perth airport.  It has only just recently closed down, upsetting the local motorsport fraternity.

I will upgrade the brakes on the 182 and likely see how it goes at Barbagallo.  Would be keen to compete in events which allow me into the "natural aspirated" categories (the Lotus is mildly supercharged as stock).  

Any advice on the front suspension would be good.  It seems to have had is camber adjusted.  Would like to put an LSD in it, but would like to see how an optimised front suspension works first.

Cheers Mark

Welcome.

I have a standard 182 which I made changes to - I detail them here and they may be of some assistance to you.

1. Camber pins and about 2 degrees negative camber.

2. 1 mm toe-out

3. Whiteline rear anti roll bar (blade type) set on soft

4. DBA slotted rotors - T3 I think they are called - semi-comp rotors

5. Ferodo DS performance brake pads

6. Motul Dot 5.1 brake fluid

and the change that will make the biggest difference - TYRES. Many of us use Yokohama AD08R - have astounding grip and are good in the wet also.

The tyre pressures for AD08R are 32 - 36 lb HOT. We found after pyrometer readings that 36 lb hot all round was best for the track.

Hope this helps you.

Rgds,

Mark

Hi Marc,

Welcome to the forum yes not a lot of WA action on the forum but a few of us will be at the Rotary Club of Como classic car day this Sunday. If you feel like it drop in and say hi. Our club the French and Fantastic Automobile Club will have some cars on display including some Renault Sport Vehicles.

http://comorotaryarshow.com

Greg

Thanks Greg, I will try and check it out.

Welcome.

I have a standard 182 which I made changes to - I detail them here and they may be of some assistance to you.

1. Camber pins and about 2 degrees negative camber.

2. 1 mm toe-out

3. Whiteline rear anti roll bar (blade type) set on soft

4. DBA slotted rotors - T3 I think they are called - semi-comp rotors

5. Ferodo DS performance brake pads

6. Motul Dot 5.1 brake fluid

and the change that will make the biggest difference - TYRES. Many of us use Yokohama AD08R - have astounding grip and are good in the wet also.

The tyre pressures for AD08R are 32 - 36 lb HOT. We found after pyrometer readings that 36 lb hot all round was best for the track.

Hope this helps you.

Rgds,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Will have the wheel alignment checked.

I have the brake bits on order from Direct Brakes and will bleed the brakes when swapping out the pads/discs.

There was a rear ARB fitted when I got the car.

Have been running AD08R's as road tyres on the Exige and are pleased with them.  Had R spec tyres for the track, but will need a spare set of wheels if I am doing this on the Clio.

That seems high pressure but trust that you have that sorted. 

Talking to another Clio driver, he mentioned that there was a roll centre lowering kit that was helpful if there is no LSD.  Not sure what this is about, but if anyone knows, I would be pleased to hear about it.

Cheers Mark

Edited by thrifty

The Clio 172/182 weighs ~1,100 kg and over 660 kg is on the front wheels at standstill. Under breaking and cornering the load on the front wheels will be much higher (they tend to lift the inside rear wheel off the ground when going hard).

Edited by vaughan

That is the hot pressure range from the Yokohama factory. We tested extensively on 2 different circuits and found that the car was nicest to drive with 36lb hot all round. As Vaughan suggests, I think a Clio works better with higher pressure because they are comparatively light cars. At that pressure the car was neutral and I achieved  competitive laptimes to other Clios etc

Edited by slick