Help Me Choose - Rs 225 Or 175 For Daily Driver

stonemonkey

Hi all,

I have a daily round trip commute of around 70km (50% suburban and 50% freeway driving) and am thinking about a Megane RS 225 or 175 to make the drive a little more exciting.

Without having driven either the 175 sounds  the most practical - I'm thinking the fuel economy will be better and there's no need to worry about timing belt maintenance. But then it won't handle as well or be quite as quick - and are there expensive diesel maintenance items I'm not aware of ?

carsales prices seems to be similar between the two, maybe the 175 a little cheaper ?

For those who might have owned them, which way would you go ? Any particular year model to go for or avoid ?

Sadly I don't think there is a lot of knowledge on the 175 on OZRS due to them being a bit of a rarity. They're not often tuned but I recall when they came out, there were only a few seconds off the RSM225 at Wakefield. As a package there isn't anything that comes close really and with a remap, DPF delete and a few tasty mods, you'd have a very quick car that runs on an oily rag. 

I had considered it, but my wife and financial adviser suggested that a newer car would be a better option. Plus i want recaros. 

Good Luck. 

Knew one person who had driven one, they owned a 225, at the time I was considering one and they suggested the 175 as it felt as fast despite being over 1 second slower to 100.

You're doing enough km to justify a car with better economy!

DPFs cab be horrible so as suggested a delete would be sensible, just not sure how legal

Keen to hear the outcome

I drove one out of curiosity when it popped up at a local dealer. It was interesting and surprisingly quiet for a diesel, especially considering it's the same one in the x trail.

My impression was that it accelerated smoothly but a little lazy compared with the petrol version so it lost a little something in the translation. With a tune as suggested it would be transformed and hugely economical.

Heavier engine over the front is noticeable when pushing into corners. Not sure the fix for this but is makes the handling a little less RS like. Not much but noticeable.

As a commuter mile muncher it would be awesome especially with a tune to get the best from that lazy detained oil burner mill...

Hey mate, I'm a relative newcomer to this forum but can give some insight. The engine in the 175 is the same Nissan diesel in the xtrail manual. My mate has owned one of those for 150,000kms and never had a single drama with a dpf or anything. The engine, whilst being a diesel almost revs like a larger petrol motor and isn't as asthmatic up high as most diesels. I've been in his xtrail and was very impressed. Plenty of power and heaps of torque plus a wide power band for a diesel makes it pretty good to punt along.

They don't seem to have a high failure rate for the dpf in them compared to a lot of modern diesels. If it did fail I would remove it and run the risk. I know there is a workshop in Brisbane that removes them and has the legislation and believes he can justify the removal based on repair costs etc making it a financial hardship or something to replace as they are often upwards of 6000. It was a while ago I read about him but he used the legislation to back his argument, whether it would hold up I don't know.

Anyway back to the Megane. That same mate has driven a million cars and his best friend got a Megane 175. My mate drove it and was very impressed with it. Said it handled extremely well. Similar suspension to the cup from memory but with changed spring rates as the diesel is much heavier. I'd imagine on the limit they'd understeer more due to lack of lsd same(same story as 225) and additional forward weight.

I'm rambling now, sorry. But basically, for a diesel hatch I doubt you could find something more sporty or more fun.

That said, I love a nice turbo petrol and the Megane 225 would be a great little car and I think you'll find you can get them a lot cheaper due to the relative rarity of the diesel.

• Like 1

I drove one out of curiosity when it popped up at a local dealer. It was interesting and surprisingly quiet for a diesel, especially considering it's the same one in the x trail.

My impression was that it accelerated smoothly but a little lazy compared with the petrol version so it lost a little something in the translation. With a tune as suggested it would be transformed and hugely economical.

Heavier engine over the front is noticeable when pushing into corners. Not sure the fix for this but is makes the handling a little less RS like. Not much but noticeable.

As a commuter mile muncher it would be awesome especially with a tune to get the best from that lazy detained oil burner mill...

Haha, stole my thunder, must have posted this as I was writing my response! :)

I'll agree with all of the points made about the drive/feel etc......

DPF's are a pain if you don't do the driving style that allows them to regen/burn the nasty stuff off.....driving round the city or to just to the shops twice a week will have it clogged up in no time.

As for servicing, make sure the correct low ash oil has/is being used....they can take 7 litres of the stuff.

No timing belt but the acc belt kit does require changing which includes the pulley and a little more labour than just doing the equivalent on the 225, so it's sometimes ignored due to $$.

The rest of the stuff is Megane RS, brakes etc so you'll find plenty of posts regarding brakes, tyres etc and the costs/best places to buy.

If I was doing the k's id have one over the petrol version, nice and torquey and look the part too. Yes a little heavier on the front so if you like the twisty stuff you'll go through tyres and brakes a little quicker. If you've been used to the 225 you need to change your driving style, it's not a scream to the redline engine....to stay in the sweet spot and keep the momentum needs a brain re adjust as it is a diesel after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you've been used to the 225 you need to change your driving style, it's not a scream to the redline engine...

To be fair, I find the stock 225 runs out of puff around 5.5K rpm anyway... diminishing returns trying to wring it to the redline (or was I just spoiled by the Clio?)

ITG intake, silicon intake hose, 250 turbo, hard boost pipe kit, Airtec I/C and larger exhaust pipe will change when it runs out of puff.

Hahaha I follow your thread DOOOOK and that all sounds great... but I don't see myself ever modifying that heavily, plus I need to save money for a longer term toy :wink:

My comment was T firmly planted I C. When I bought my 225 had no intention of heavily modifying or even going to the track. Who was I kidding? It's just like the Scorpion and the Frog fable. It's my outlet.

I have a Sydney inner west mortgage and a 10 month old, no such thing as saving for me. However, that doesn't stop me dreaming of a Trophy R or Cayman GT4 when my investments return (Powerball, Lotto, etc, etc...)

• Like 1

Thanks for the all great feedback on this topic everyone

It sounds like if going for the diesel finding one that has done highways kms will help minimise the risk of future DPF failure. My commute is around 45mins to an hour of driving (with at least 20mins of that at 100km/h) so keeping the dpf healthy shouldn't be an issue for me.

I didn't know it was the same engine as the x-trail, so thanks for that tidbit.

This car would be pretty much used for commuting 90% of the time, so I don't think I would miss a minor reduction in ultimate performance and handling from the 225.

Next step is to test drive one, I'll post some feedback once I have done that.

Looking at redbook and prices on carsales, it seems I should be able to get a good one for around the $9-$10k mark ?

Apart from an entertaining add to read, this one looks pretty good.  Might even be the one I drove a year or so ago, depending on how long this owner has had it.  

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2008/SSE-AD-3994305/?Cr=0

Yes that has to be the best car ad I've ever read!

He has certainly put a little thought into making the add unlike every other... Or any other for that matter...

My comment was T firmly planted I C. When I bought my 225 had no intention of heavily modifying or even going to the track. Who was I kidding? It's just like the Scorpion and the Frog fable. It's my outlet.

I have a Sydney inner west mortgage and a 10 month old, no such thing as saving for me. However, that doesn't stop me dreaming of a Trophy R or Cayman GT4 when my investments return (Powerball, Lotto, etc, etc...)

Ha, I like it! Given I have an order of things before I can buy said new toy... new house... more money... who knows, maybe the 225 bug will bite harder in the meantime :D