Hello Again! Looking Into Getting Back Into An Rs Finally

kaesh

Hey Guys,

Been a little while, 8 months 3 weeks to be exact...not that i'm counting or anything :D.

and so SWMBO has finally gotten sick of me sitting at home and looking like a lost puppy and has given the go ahead for me to purchase something to help get me back behind the drivers seat of a car i can have fun with.

I'm now looking to get into a Clio 172 or if the money is right a really really cheap 182, budget is $3-4K MAX.

I would love to purchase another 250/265 or even a 275 but unfortunately we are currently paying rent as well as a mortgage and saving up for items we would like done once the house is complete.

I also want something that if all goes south on the race track i won't be in too much financial strife. So guys i need your help and expertise to get me back behind the wheel of a good track car/daily that will not only get me to and from the train station but also i can enter into all sorts of events. Now bear in mind that the purchase is just that a purchase price and the budget for modding will come later...I just need an involving drive ASAP to keep my sanity in check! :) I would like to get into some thing that won't need too much work and i could get back on a track ASAP as in only need to purchase tyres, fluids etc...

Cheers

Sam.

P.S I was looking at getting into a cheap RWD 4 cylinder like an MX-5 or similar for simliar money but can't beat the bang for buck of a 1*2 at the moment.

especially given the fact that i would prefer to remain a part of this awesome community.

• Like 1

I'm now looking to get into a Clio 172 or if the money is right a really really cheap 182, budget is $3-4K MAX.

With only one exception, cars in that price range will need work, most likely belts, so you need to add $2,000 onto the budget.

That exception?

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/25903-nsw-rs-clio-172-ph1-46/

• Like 1

Great to hear from again Sam. Clios are so much fun you don't really even miss the turbo power. The most important part of a Clio II is the body, make sure its paint is in good condition and has been garaged. All the non garaged ones seem to be deteriorating rapidly in the last couple of years.

Mechanical stuff is way easier (and cheaper) to replace repair.

Your budget is probably a bit too low to pickup something well looked after though and you'll pay the price down the track. Therefore I'd increase the initial budget to more like $4-5k.

A phase 1 would be wicked Sam. Look forward to seeing you back in an RS ????

Walkies ph1 sounds perfect. And ph1 > ph2

IMHO the price will jump with these when they get close to 25 years old, when they can go onto historic rego. Just another 10 years...

Peugeot 205s are getting there now, being built before 1991. EG Civics too. But they gotta be stock.

Edited by vaughan

Body and interior styling are the main obvious differences, but there are a few others:

- Ph1 is I believe a bit lighter than the Ph2.

- Gear ratios are also a bit different between the 2, iirc the Ph1 has taller final drive(?) due to the lighter weight.

- cable throttle on the Ph1 vs. electronic throttle on the Ph2

- airbox is different (a lot of people think the Ph1 airbox is better)

- exhaust ports are different on the Ph1, larger iirc.

- Ph2 had a lot more creature comforts added to it like xenon headlights, rain sensing wipers, climate control, more airbags, cd changer (all of which is partly why it weighs more) Cruise Control and ESP was added to later Ph2's but you can easily retrofit cruise control at least to early Ph2s...

- Wheels were better on the Ph1, OzF1's :)

- Better gear knob on the Ph1!

I agree though that for the money walkie's is probably spot on!

Edited by krappy

Ph1s will attract men, which is at least something, because the no ones attracted to ph2s.

Jokes aside, ph2 is better to drive daily, but for a fun squirt I prefer the ph1, even when mine was stock it was a riot and I do prefer the cable throttle everywhere else but in traffic...

Just replace the cat on the ph1 - it's a derpy design and definitely wouldn't flow very well compared to almost any other design!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up guys ill chat with Walkie and see how it goes...but i do like the front end of the ph2 better and not really a fan of the steering wheel/speedo of the ph1s....might grow on me though.

plus this car will be a daily that takes me to the train station etc... for work and will be used on occasion to pick the kids up from daycare.

cheers

sam.

Edited by kaesh
  • Like 1

Congrats Sam! Can't wait to see her!

Very happy to see her go to a good home to be loved and restored to her former glory!

• Like 1

Are you driving her back Sam? Shout out if you need a plus one for a road trip! Otherwise, look forward to seeing her when you get her to her new home.

Thanks Walkie, Sam has been tortured long enough waiting for a new RS...

• Like 2

It has been a test in patience with all things "grown up" and "logical" to do getting in the way.

hopefully i can do it justice and enjoy the car.

it is hard trying to not spend every cent i have on mods for the girl though isnt it?

• Like 1

Are you driving her back Sam? Shout out if you need a plus one for a road trip! Otherwise, look forward to seeing her when you get her to her new home.

Thanks Walkie, Sam has been tortured long enough waiting for a new RS...

I've made a deal with walkie to hang onto her for a fortnight or so whilst i save for a transport back up here, SWMBO did suggest i take a road trip with someone and enjoy the drive back up but I've got a few projects due at work and i wouldn't feel right leaving her alone with both kids whilst she is working at the same time. Especially given how my little 2yr old son likes to run a muck when dad isn't around to keep him amused and under control and our 8yr old daughter isn't much help at the moment as she thinks she is 18! hahahaha

I'll think some more on it though and get back you, appreciate the offer mate.

Sam.

I've made a deal with walkie to hang onto her for a fortnight or so whilst i save for a transport back up here, SWMBO did suggest i take a road trip with someone and enjoy the drive back up but I've got a few projects due at work and i wouldn't feel right leaving her alone with both kids whilst she is working at the same time. Especially given how my little 2yr old son likes to run a muck when dad isn't around to keep him amused and under control and our 8yr old daughter isn't much help at the moment as she thinks she is 18! hahahaha

I'll think some more on it though and get back you, appreciate the offer mate.

Sam.

All good Sam those sorts of priorities are well understood

Anything to get back in an RS hey?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If I want my own driveway to park an RS in I'm going to have to refrain from buying one until I have said driveway.

In the meantime I'm itching for a nice long interstate drive and if that itch could be scratched with a loaner ph1 then two birds with one stone huh? :wink:

In the meantime I'm itching for a nice long interstate drive and if that itch could be scratched with a loaner ph1 then two birds with one stone huh? :wink:

I should buy your Ph1 to save it.

Where 'ya plan on driving ?

I should buy your Ph1 to save it.

Where 'ya plan on driving ?

ph1 Megane is sold already.

I'm offering to drive Sam's new purchase back to him for the cost of fuel and a flight home. I may actually be semi serious about it too, I love me a good driving adventure (ask my friends)

Sounds like you'll need to add another family birthday to the list Sam... ????