Wannabie Rs250/265 Owner - Take 2

aress

Hi everyone,

This is my second attempt at joining the ranks. About a year ago I was on the verge of buying an RS250 when my wife’s unexpected job loss killed the prospect at the 11th hour. Due to a change in fortunes I am now back on the hunt for the right car. My wish list is:

• RS250/265
  • Must have xenons
  • Must have Recaros
  • Pref. 19s
  • Preferred colour is lunar grey but open to silver, blue, maybe black but not yellow or red
  • Under 50,000km (the lower the better)
  • Under 25k (again, the lower the better :mrgreen: )
  • Not fussed on the special editions (Monaco, AGP, RB) but wouldn’t rule out if the car/spec is otherwise good

There are a few around on carsales.com that match that list, but my wife is a bit cautious about buying interstate which might limit me to the QLD market and there are currently few if any suitable cars for sale around here. I’ll keep trawling the classifieds but if anyone hears of anything feel free to let me know. I may be able to swing an interstate deal if I can find a car known to the forum or one that can be vouched for.

Couple of questions – firstly, has anyone repainted the front bar insert/rear difuser? I’m not keen on the grey in certain colour combinations and might consider repainting or wrapping to black. Anyone done this? Costs, recommendations, correct paint code? Secondly, I‘m guessing many of the 2011/2012 cars for sale are due (or overdue) belts, as owners often dump their car on the market to avoid a large expense. Belts are due every 4 years, correct? At what mileage? Is $1500 a reasonable allowance for this work?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Looking forward to strapping myself into the Recaros and joining the local RSers for a few drives or track days.

Cheers,

Rory

Edited by aress
  • Like 1

Ummmm .... this ticks all your boxes!

And the way these depreciate there's no way that asking price is not negotiable. In fact there would be several 265s that could be had for that money.

Can't answer your questions, sorry, but you seem to be on the money.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2011/SSE-AD-3660278

Good luck shopping!

Yeah, I've been watching that one. Been for sale for quite a while, was last listed at 22k and didn't sell so they're clearing trying to re-pitch it higher. Good buying at 22k so it makes me wonder why it didn't sell. Worth pursuing though as it does tick the right boxes.

Cheers,

Which one, the 250?

I wouldn't worry too much with cars not selling fast, there's one out there that has clearly been in major crashes that has odd bits and pieces that's been around for about a year! Otherwise they do move slowly.

If you can take a mechanic with you out even better a Renault mechanic/fanatic and all the revs etc check out if go for it.

Also looks like Nick's car is sold pending payment

Sorry, yes the 250 is the one I was talking about. The only concern I had about this one in particular not selling is that in the time I've been looking several other lesser (in terms of specs, mileage) examples around Brisbane have been advertised for more and they've sold. Just made me wonder, ultimately I'll need to check it out myself. I should probably check out a few so I can understand what a good one feels like as I've only driven one to date, no idea if that was representative.

I did see the RB you referred to but as you said it appears sold (still up on carsales.com though).

BTW I'm quite happy to take a fanatic along with me to view this or any other examples, as indicated this is not a car I'm familiar with so if anyone here is keen to join me (or do their own initial viewing/test drive on my behalf) just speak up! Happy to arrange times to suit.

Cheers,

Edited by aress
  • Like 1

The other suggestion is Nick's car (username 27AME); doesn't have xenon's, but he's in qld and appears to have looked after his car very well indeed. It's also a 265.

Check out the for sale thread or the car sales page:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2012/SSE-AD-3789798

27AME's car is sold as of last week.  RB's will fit the spec and also 250 Trophee.  Don't think Xenons are in any of the later variants. May be wrong...

Good luck with the search

Sorry, yes the 250 is the one I was talking about. The only concern I had about this one in particular not selling is that in the time I've been looking several other lesser (in terms of specs, mileage) examples around Brisbane have been advertised for more and they've sold. Just made me wonder, ultimately I'll need to check it out myself. I should probably check out a few so I can understand what a good one feels like as I've only driven one to date, no idea if that was representative.

I did see the RB you referred to but as you said it appears sold (still up on carsales.com though).

BTW I'm quite happy to take a fanatic along with me to view this or any other examples, as indicated this is not a car I'm familiar with so if anyone here is keen to join me (or do their own initial viewing/test drive on my behalf) just speak up! Happy to arrange times to suit.

Cheers,

I'm happy to tag along on test drives if I am free when you are going...

Thanks Jason, appreciate that. Might be in touch.

And yes, of the 250s I'll be wanting the Trophee. If it's a 265 - unfortunately I don't have the double degree required to understand the complexities of the model line-up so I'll just view them on a case by case basis  :mrgreen:

Of the 265s I think the 8:08 will be closest to the spec you are seeking, or RB8

• Like 2

Yeah, I've been watching that one. Been for sale for quite a while, was last listed at 22k and didn't sell so they're clearing trying to re-pitch it higher. Good buying at 22k so it makes me wonder why it didn't sell. Worth pursuing though as it does tick the right boxes.

Cheers,

Hi mate, I actually spoke to the seller when I was looking for a meg.

Pretty sure you could get it for 22k. I wasn't a massive fan of the guy when I spoke to him (bit rude). Call for yourself and make your own mind up, I didn't even bother looking as it hasn't been serviced since I think 2012 (don't quote me on that) it was a super long time plus timing belts haven't been done.

I think he said he lives in Melb and it sits in a garage at the gold coast hence the low kms. Not sure if the salt air would have started to eat away at anything.

Not for me but worth making your own enquiry!

• Like 1

Hi mate, I actually spoke to the seller when I was looking for a meg.

Pretty sure you could get it for 22k. I wasn't a massive fan of the guy when I spoke to him (bit rude). Call for yourself and make your own mind up, I didn't even bother looking as it hasn't been serviced since I think 2012 (don't quote me on that) it was a super long time plus timing belts haven't been done.

I think he said he lives in Melb and it sits in a garage at the gold coast hence the low kms. Not sure if the salt air would have started to eat away at anything.

Not for me but worth making your own enquiry!

Thanks mate, appreciate your feedback. 

I spoke with the seller and while polite enough he was on the vague side over some things, some things didn't ring quite true, and overall I didn't come away from the conversation with a great feeling. Just a vibe more than anything tangible; a lack of sincerity, or credibility perhaps? Still, I made a time to view the car and in the meantime did some research on the guy and what I found kind of deterred me from doing business with him. (I won't go into details here but should anyone else be interested in the car and want some background just message me.) Also, the concerns you've raised struck a cord - servicing is patchy, belts need doing, rear tyres need replacing, overall it's clear this isn't an enthusiast-owned car. All up, uneasy about proceeding so have canceled my viewing.

With some regret - with belts, service and tyres done I'd have a nicely-specced Trophee with only 17,000km on the dial for under 25k.

Damn.

I emailed another seller about a second car but no answer so the search continues.

I have no patience for this. I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!!

Sigh. Thanks, I feel better now.

• Like 1

Good stuff mate, stay patient! I took a good 5-6 months of looking before finding the right one! I bought it from Melb and had it sent up to Brisbane. 

I know the impatient feeling! Stay strong and don't compromise unless you have to!

Good stuff mate, stay patient! I took a good 5-6 months of looking before finding the right one! I bought it from Melb and had it sent up to Brisbane. 

I know the impatient feeling! Stay strong and don't compromise unless you have to!

5-6 months??? I can't stay patient for 5-6 minutes!!!! I've decided what I want, why isn't it here yet???

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-melbourne,+vic/list-1

Sorted.

So when can I pick it up?

Geez mate, you needed to pick up my car when it was for sale... I ended up selling that within your budget. It was in superb condition and had some tasty mods. That gives you a good idea of what you can get for the money - the car above 22k looks pretty average...

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/23906-2012-megane-rs-250-cup-trophee/

Geez mate, you needed to pick up my car when it was for sale... I ended up selling that within your budget. It was in superb condition and had some tasty mods. That gives you a good idea of what you can get for the money - the car above 22k looks pretty average...

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/23906-2012-megane-rs-250-cup-trophee/

I've been waiting for you to pop up and remind me of the error of my ways Mike!  Fact is at the time we were a few grand apart before my window of opportunity closed, but no question your car would have fitted the bill admirably. Hopefully the current owner's employer might suddenly reassign him to a remote outpost in the Himalayas and he'll be forced to sell it urgently. I'll send him my number just on the off-chance   :mrgreen:

This one has popped up in the classifieds section

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/26450-(Fs)-Rs-Megane-808-Linited-Edition

Saw that, lovely car, even though I'm not a yellow fan. Price is the only issue - it's over-budget before factoring in transport costs and re-registration in QLD. My top dollar might be stretchable beyond 25k but I'll need to justify ever additional note. Such is (married) life...

Edited by aress

Hi aress, good luck in your search.. A terrific looking 8:08 2012 Trophy 265 in Carsales in north Qld with only 7500 km's .. Not sure if you have seen the colour in person , Cant go wrong with Liquid Yellow, hero colour for Renault RS ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of trying to convince my wife of the fact. If I can we'll be talking soon..

Take her to see one in the sunlight. She will be sold! They won't come much better than this one!

I asked her to clarify what her position was following her 'no yellow cars' comment - did she mean "I'll divorce you and sell your car magazine collection if you buy a yellow car" or "I'll be a little bit cross but forgive you and still put out"? Yet to receive a response.

• Like 3

I asked her to clarify what her position was following her 'no yellow cars' comment - did she mean "I'll divorce you and sell your car magazine collection if you buy a yellow car" or "I'll be a little bit cross but forgive you and still put out"? Yet to receive a response.

PMSL!! That's the spirit... ????

A lesser proposition for not dissimilar money to rob's 8:08, but looking at a plan B should divorce and/or a life of celibacy be looming, anyone familiar with this car?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2012/SSE-AD-3331906/?Cr=0

The search is over. Details to follow. Suffice to say I'm effing stoked.

• Like 3

Woohoo. Is it yellow?

C'mon Jason, I haven't told my wife yet, why should I tell you?

:wink:

Edited by aress

Okay so it may be yellow.

Great choice. And if it's the car I suspect - great choice!!! ???? the wife will recover after the first drive in it and she can see the ridiculous grin it plants onto your face....

Great choice. And if it's the car I suspect - great choice!!! the wife will recover after the first drive in it and she can see the ridiculous grin it plants onto your face....

It is. And she will.

It is. And she will.

Congrats!! Outstanding choice

Pics?

Haven't picked it up yet so the only pic I've got is the one I pinched from the classifieds for my avatar!

Trip details still being confirmed but hopefully this Saturday, will take some shots on the trip home.

• Like 1

Flew to Sydney this morning and drove it straight home, ~1000km in 10.5+hrs with a 10-min fuel stop. Car went great, details follow.

• Like 2

Congrats! Did you traverse some interesting roads enroute or just blast up the main highway?

Looking forward to seeing this beauty!

Nothing interesting, just a straight run for home. Really haven't explored the car yet at all.

But, some initially observations: suspension felt great - coped with some pretty rough surfaces admirably. Remarkable given the wheel/tyre size. Steering: got some weight; not flick/flick light. Very accurate, meaty feel. Like it. Engine: sounds better than expected, there's a rorty soundtrack in there somewhere. A few nice pops and bangs too. Used the extreme throttle mapping infrequently, when doing so the initial response was similar to my recent Alfa 156 GTA but without the flexible range to back it up. RS definitely quicker when in the sweet spot,but caught with the wrong gear/revs the GTA would have quickly jumped a few car lengths so I'll need to find out how to get the most of the Megane and adapt my driving style. Normal mode felt doughy in comparison. Still need to find out how the car has been mapped, not sure if I'm get the full-page Henk tune without pushing the sports button or just a poxy 250hp or so.

Car feels really structurally solid, love the way it moves all of a piece down the road. Recaros are awesome, so glad I held out for these - yes my a*** was numb by the end but damn it felt great in the process. They add some 'special' to proceedings

Stereo's average, Bluetooth took several attempts to connect and is still muttering 'merde' when trying to deal with with my 1200 contacts, RS Monitor is impossible to figure out without a manual or an eight year old's help, yellow seat belts will be hard to clean, the LHS headlight beam bounced around for half the trip then corrected itself (great, another Italian-esque car) and there's a 'bulb out' light on the dash when all lights appear to be working.

So - so far so good.

Yep it is (was) Rob's.

Just discovered it didn't have the best of taillights - drove the whole way home without any! Guess a car that bright doesnt really need 'em...

Congratulations on the purchase :) Little bit frustrating I'm sure having the lighting gremlins... but you'll get those sorted and completely forget about them :)

Regarding the mapping, I'm pretty sure you should have the whole lot in all modes, but the conservative throttle map in Normal mode takes the edge off of things unless you really stamp on the pedal. For any sort of enthusiastic driving, you'll want to use Sport...

Regarding the mapping, I'm pretty sure you should have the whole lot in all modes, but the conservative throttle map in Normal mode takes the edge off of things unless you really stamp on the pedal. For any sort of enthusiastic driving, you'll want to use Sport...

I think the issue is where the henk tune 'lives' - sounds like it's not in normal mode. Does henk usually leave normal mode as normal?

I think the issue is where the henk tune 'lives' - sounds like it's not in normal mode. Does henk usually leave normal mode as normal?

Yes, that's essentially my question.

Yep it is (was) Rob's.

Just discovered it didn't have the best of taillights - drove the whole way home without any! Guess a car that bright doesnt really need 'em...

That will explain the bulb out warning on the dash. Sounds like a simple fix. Great car choice!

Simple if I can find the fuse box. Bulbs appear ok.