Noob To The Forum (And Renault)

Schoey

Hi all, I'm currently in the market for a clio and always start off my research with a forum search, looks like i have found a great one here, lots of reading in the last week or so.

I started off keen on a 197 but I'm a bit worried about it deteriorating too quick on me as I won't be able to garage it so now I've started thinking 182/172 just for the bang for buck factor.

How do these seem to go for rust? I live on the coast and rust seems to kill my cars before mechanical failure.

Would I be mad to spend 10-15k on an R27 and park it in the driveway?

Rust isn't the biggest issue here, but I'm sure it depends on how much spray the car gets.

You can pretty much get a 197 for the price of a (expensive) 182. What's your plan for the car? If it's a daily, a base 197 would be the way to go, r27 are notoriously firm, and 172/182 are anything but refined or luxurious...

Also, welcome! You'll find everything you need on this forum, including the car.

197/200's probably haven't been around in this country long enough to give an educated response re rust. It's not been raised before as far as I know. At least the front fender / mudguard is plastic :mrgreen: it won't rust.

You'd be mad not to buy an R27. Hard ride but OMG the cornering... :popcorn:

What's your plan for the car?

It's a daily (but quite low k) driver, just wanted something fun, possibly a track day or two, not looking to set records or do any modding.

Still trying to get my head around the different models, from base to cup or r27, it's still mostly the same as far as engine/chassis goes? Just suspension?

197, the engines are all the same, suspension and chassis changes for the different models. As far as I know it's just 197 and r27, there was no middle ground. I'm no expert on Clio 3s though. There's a bloke called Apple who is. Haha

R27 is easily liveable and would make a good daily/fun track car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

197 - hard

200 - harder

197 R27 - hardest

Same engine. 197 slightly less grunt, but not much in it.

The top of the rev range is where it all happens with the Clio. Remember this when you drive one. :wink:

Google R27 review.

Edited by apple3337

Rust is rarely an issue on Modern cars, most are fully Galvanized during assembly, I would think rust issues would arise from poor repair work. Peugeot 205 was one of the first cars to be fully gal'd during production, I have one that is 26 years old, has lived outside most of it's life and zero rust anywhere. I never lived right on the beach but it's not far down the road.

197 - hard

200 - harder

197 R27 - hardest

Same engine. 197 slightly less grunt, but not much in it.

The top of the rev range is where it all happens with the Clio. Remember this when you drive one. :wink:

I thought you were the expert! :wink:

200 - softest, 15% softer than 197

197- soft

197 Cup/R27 - hard, about 30% stiffer than 197

200 Cup - hardest, 15% stiffer than R27

200 also has quicker steering rack

Sources:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/renault/renault-clio-renaultsport-200-2009-review/

http://www.evo.co.uk/renault/clio/6210/renaultsport-clio-197200

OK I've seen that stuff.

The standard 200 we never got. All 200's here are cup.

I've owned a 197, R27 and the 200 cup.

On my experience for what it's worth... :) see post #6 for my bum sensor readings! :biggrin:

(BTW, I've never claimed to be an expert)

Edited by apple3337

OK I've seen that stuff.

The standard 200 we never got. All 200's here are cup.

I've owned a 197, R27 and the 200 cup.

On my experience for what it's worth... :) see post #6 for my bum sensor readings! :biggrin:

(BTW, I've never claimed to be an expert)

Your personal experience is very valid, just got me thinking about what I'd read back when the RSC3 200 first came out.

Let's just blame Riley...

• Like 1

I would put in a strong recommendation to at least look at Matt205s car for sale.

He pays a lot of attention to detail and it's hard to go past buying a Renault previously owned by an enthusiast.

Well I'd buy it subject to inspection. Just in case.

Leap of faith  :wink:  It's a forum member who's been around for a while so I'm happy he's not selling a lemon (although the colour could be a bad sign  :mrgreen: )

I'm picking up, flight booked. How do I go about transfer of rego, insurance all that? I've started reading up, thanks google but thought there might be some experience here to put me on the right track.

When buying interstate, you buy the car with registration but without RWC.

Drive the car home, get RWC then transfer the registration and return the old number plates.

Insurance should be sorted out before you receive the car key. You wouldn't want to crash into a $800,000 Lamborghini on the way back and not having insurance, would you?

RE insurance. Any old cover note will do until you get it home.

If you are selling an old car for this, transfer that policy to this car. It should be WAY cheaper that way.

Has anyone ever joined the forum and bought a car on the same day?

Edited by apple3337