Difference Between Phase 1 225 Cup And Non Cup

Proset

Hi there OzRenault. I'm looking at buying a Megane 225. Its blood orange but i cant work out if it is the cup or the non cup. It has after market mags and drilled rotors on the back. Front rotors are solid and the there are silver brembos....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul

Pretty sure the silver Brembos was the Sport only, not the Cup.  Sounds like it has had disc brakes replaced at some point in there (understandable) but if the calipers are original, I think it is not a Cup.

Other forum members will be able to give better detail, as there are other differences, such as spring rates are softer on the non Cup version, and I think it also has the stability control that comes back on after a certain speed, even if switched off on the non Cup.

Great colour choice the Blood Orange...  :drool:

Welcome to the forum Paul and good luck with your search.

Thanks for the reply. I went looking for an esp switch but couldnt find one. Then again i may of missed it. Does anyone have a photo or describition of the switch.

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/2005-Renault-Megane-Sport-225-II-X84/OAG-AD-12431254?DistanceFromMePostcode=4051

This is the car.. not bad service history. Belts were done 2010. Will definitely need changing. Drives well, actually quite well. I've compared this car to the VW gti, Mazda MPS and an Alfa 147 Gta. Renault felt the best...

Pretty sure the silver Brembos was the Sport only, not the Cup.  Sounds like it has had disc brakes replaced at some point in there (understandable) but if the calipers are original, I think it is not a Cup.

In Phase 1 225s, they had silver Brembos. Phase 2 saw the introduction of red calipers in Cup spec, and even then I think it was only on 2008-2009 cars.

Pretty sure the ESC switch is adjacent to the cruise control and light dimming switch, to the right of the steering wheel, slightly lower down

• Like 1

In Phase 1 225s, they had silver Brembos. Phase 2 saw the introduction of red calipers in Cup spec, and even then I think it was only on 2008-2009 cars.

Pretty sure the ESC switch is adjacent to the cruise control and light dimming switch, to the right of the steering wheel, slightly lower down

Agree with these.

My Ph2 Cup (2006) has silver Brembos. Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules... Renault like to be different and offer 200 spec levels on 400 cars.

Ph1 Cups should have orange seat belts, but not guaranteed. The multispoke wheels should be 18 inch, not 17. As others said, ESC should not come on above a certain speed, which I think is 50kph. The switch is next to your right knee (unless it changed location between Ph1 and Ph2!).

You could also check if the springs are stamped as Eibach. Oh, and the lights should be xenons. If everything is in place, it's likely it's a Cup...

Thanks heaps, that narrows it down. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

Just cruising around for 1 hour, you wouldn't believe how many double takes i got.... definitely a head turner in the looks department. And the rump does grow on you.

Decision time RS Megane or Davins immaculate Clio 182..hmmmm, why can't i have both.

Agree with these.

My Ph2 Cup (2006) has silver Brembos. Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules... Renault like to be different and offer 200 spec levels on 400 cars.

Ph1 Cups should have orange seat belts, but not guaranteed. The multispoke wheels should be 18 inch, not 17. As others said, ESC should not come on above a certain speed, which I think is 50kph. The switch is next to your right knee (unless it changed location between Ph1 and Ph2!).

You could also check if the springs are stamped as Eibach. Oh, and the lights should be xenons. If everything is in place, it's likely it's a Cup...

I just checked and there are non-Cups on carsales with orange belts. Also, a couple of non-cups without xenons. The OP's linked car has xenons, so if you can check the ESP functionality and springs, it's sounding like a Cup.

Thanks Walkie.. Are xenon headlights easily identifable?

Windscreen washers.  Only on the Xenons... Or did Renault mess with us on this too....?   :44:

This one as well [5:04 PM, 5/24/2016] +61 499 719 525: Renault Megane Manual RS Sport | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Brisbane South West - Sunnybank | 1109924621Renault Megane, 2008 model, 20L Sports model, log books, service history, new tyres, tinted windows, CD player, very good condition, 1109924621www.gumtree.com.au

[5:04 PM, 5/24/2016] +61 499 719 525: Please view this ad:

Renault Megane Manual RS Sport,

Price: $10,500

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

Mate, someone in this thread has inspected that very Megane:

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/26133-clio-off-the-road-new-car-10k-whats-fun/

Welcome Paul!

If you got an R26 then you'd have everything a 225 needs (except maybe the R26R). Alternatively you could get a non-cup and modify it into an R26 wannabe[emoji6]

Edited by DOOOOK
  • Like 1

Just cruising around for 1 hour, you wouldn't believe how many double takes i got.... definitely a head turner in the looks department. And the rump does grow on you.

The blood orange is a fantastic colour, and we all love our big butt Meganes :D

Stick on some Phase 2 tail lights and it'll look even better...

The blood orange is a fantastic colour, and we all love our big butt Meganes :D

Stick on some Phase 2 tail lights and it'll look even better...

Plus 1 the phase 2 tail lights...

• 1 year later...

Sorry for opening the thread again. Didn't want to start a new thread. So I'm on the market for a 225 Cup 5 doors. I've ran into this model. I really can't decide if it's a cup or not. From reading here, since it has drilled brakes red brembos, xenons, no sunroof and coloured mirrors it should be a cup. If it wasn't a cup because I love this blue. Is the difference between a cup and non cup very distinct? The car has low kilometres and great service history. 

Screenshot_20170830-204917.png

Screenshot_20170830-204356.png

Screenshot_20170830-204412.png

Looks like a Cup to me and I think it's been posted on the forum somewhere before too. Anthracite wheels and mirrors, Red cross-drilled brembos. Check the ESP trick and Eibach stamp to be sure.