Looking At Buying 250 Or 265 Cup Or Trophy

RoeShow

Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing a low kms Megane 250 or 265 Cup or Trophy

I got a budget of $23K. I am in Brisbane but would travel to get the right car

From what I can see all the Cups and Trophys have LSD?

Not sure if all Megane Sport have LSD? Looks like 2010 Sport does not have LSD but not sure of 2011 - 2013?

Timing belt replacement every 5yrs or 100K kms? and cost $1500ish?

All reviews seem to rate cars very high.

I have booked Megane 265 Rent A Car from Hertz next weekend

Can you let me know anything specify I should be looking at when buying and if any reliability issues or very expensive services required besides Timing belt replacement

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

Just brought a second hand Megane RS myself, so I've done a bit of homework...

All RS has LSD except for the 2013 Megane RS Sport Edition, you can spot them by the silver Tibor wheels, dark blue paint job and the Recaro seats. They have the softer Sport suspensions as well.

According to the cost of ownership from Renault - 

60k (72months) - coolant/brake fluid replacement, pollen filter, spark plugs, fuel filter & 100k (120months) - Timing belt.

From July 2014, all RS cars received 5 years warranty (if that's important to you)

Gabe

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for the info.

I am looking forward to test drive in 265 RS Rent - A- Car next week, before I decide.

No reliability or any known issues to look for?

Thanks Paul

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for the info.

I am looking forward to test drive in 265 RS Rent - A- Car next week, before I decide.

No reliability or any known issues to look for?

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

They're mechanically very solid, my brother had a 250 for 18 months with no issues at all (chipped & exhaust mods).

Can have a quick look at the technical section of the forum to find any common issues.

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/forum/45-megane-iii-technical/

Talk to 27AME, I was looking at his Red Bull (well looked after by the looks of it) but ended with the dealership options because I wanted to do a trade in.

Gabe

Exclusivity value of the LE Red Bull is worth a couple of grand IMO over another variant, especially a very low km well looked after one.

Hey mate, I'm a little out of your budget, but I have a 2012 Redbull Edition with 33,000km on it that I've listed for $26,750. Slightly negotiable, but not much. I'm on the Gold Coast.

Yeah I have seen your ad on carsales.com

It does look very good but will probably be bit out of my price range

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

They're mechanically very solid, my brother had a 250 for 18 months with no issues at all (chipped & exhaust mods).

Can have a quick look at the technical section of the forum to find any common issues.

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/forum/45-megane-iii-technical/

Talk to 27AME, I was looking at his Red Bull (well looked after by the looks of it) but ended with the dealership options because I wanted to do a trade in.

Gabe

Thanks Gabe

I have had bit of a read through the technical section

My 2 cents, get a car that has been well looked after and has the spec you like most. Mechanically they are essentially identical from the earliest 250's to the current 265 (275 obviously has some upgrades). Consider the condition of the car more than the km's. Someone who doesn't look after a car will wreck it in 25,000km, someone who does look after a car will have it like new with 80,000km...

What car are you coming from if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck with the search.

My 2 cents, get a car that has been well looked after and has the spec you like most. Mechanically they are essentially identical from the earliest 250's to the current 265 (275 obviously has some upgrades). Consider the condition of the car more than the km's. Someone who doesn't look after a car will wreck it in 25,000km, someone who does look after a car will have it like new with 80,000km...

What car are you coming from if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck with the search.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info

I have just sold my VW Bora V6 4-Motion and before that I had a Subaru Liberty 3.0Spec B

VW was better than Subaru but getting old now. I was thinking of a VW R32 but really only 2008 models available at latest

I've had my 265 for around a year and a half now, no issues apart from an intermittent driver's door rattle.

Since the Megane III came out Renault have been hammering on about how much more reliable their cars are now, which I think is reflected in both reality and their confidence in now offering 5yr warranty on the latest RSs.

How was your rental experience? Hope no one had ruined the car before you got into it!

I've had my 265 for around a year and a half now, no issues apart from an intermittent driver's door rattle.

Since the Megane III came out Renault have been hammering on about how much more reliable their cars are now, which I think is reflected in both reality and their confidence in now offering 5yr warranty on the latest RSs.

How was your rental experience? Hope no one had ruined the car before you got into it!

Thats great reliability does not seem to be an issue anymore.

Rent A Car is this Saturday.

Really looking forward to taking it for a good drive, not just around the block like a normal test drive.