Long Term Reliability? 2014 Megane R.s. 265 Cup

Polska111

Hey guys!

I'm looking to get a new car. I am torn between a GTI, Golf R or Megane 265 cup. To me, the Megane looks a no brainer, as they are the cheapest of the 3 for something more fun, and newer... which rings alarm bells. 

To those who have had a Megane 265 (2013 onwards): What are the things to look out for? Are they reliable cars as far as cars go? Is there any reason why I should be hesitant looking at these cars given their attractively cheap prices? 

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Megane-2014/OAG-AD-7907348/?Cr=0

This is one I'm looking at for reference. 

TIA!

I've got a 2012 265 8.08. It's been faultless for two years, and I can't fault the materials used for the interior either. Nothing has broken, faded or worn to any degree - in fact, it still looks brand new. I love this car like no other I've had - and there's been plenty!

Get one.

• Like 1

In general, you'll find Renault and RenaultSport cars much higher up the reliability ladder than VW.

Anybody here that's taken anything apart in their cars will tell you that the cars are 99% made with quality parts. The other 1% is where Renault share parts with VW and use Bosch electronics.

Oh yes, some complain about the quality of the Korean sourced stereo's.

There's a thread about cold-starting issues, but eventually the car will fire up and it's thought to be the downside from emissions compliance.

Nobody here really seems to complain that much about reliability. Nowhere to the extent that you would see on a VW forum.

I'm personally just waiting and watching for an old one to come up because to me they seem to be long term reliable cars.

• Like 2

The fact they are less known (fewer on the roads too) makes them less popular as a car resulting in lower resale price. The lower price is a function of the market more so than the reliability of the cars.

From 2015 they have 5 year warranty. Try finding a VW with that.

Our little secret (the RS cars) means a million smiles for many miles at an attractive entry price for the used car buyer.

Check out the Meg III thread in the forum to see what generally to look for. Timing belt replacement (4 year interval so no issue in a 2014 model) and brake pads the more common items. These cars love to be driven...

Good luck with your choice and welcome to the forum. Hopefully we will read about your new carving a Meg...

• Like 1

Thanks guys, 

I'm going to go take a look at one tonight, see what's what. Will let you know what eventuates from it.

My friend has the same but the Red Bull edition and he loves it, I do remember him having cold start issues once or twice when I saw it but other than that seems to run great, great fun to drive too. 

Look the simple fact is some aspects of the interior aren't quite up to the level of the Gti or Gold R but that shouldn't deter you. It's plenty good enough and once you get used to the placement of a few of the switches and how to use the various levers and whatnot behind the steering wheel you don't think about I again. The driving position is spot on and the relationship between brake pedal and accelerator is perfect (at least for my size 12 feet) for heel and toeing.

The engines are pretty bullet proof as long as they are serviced regularly and you don't go belting them senseless while they are still cold.

I've had 5 Renaults of differing varieties over the past 20 odd years and none have let me down. However we had a brand new 3 series BMW that needed a new diff, a Porsche that required the gearbox being taken out 4 times to fix oil leaks, a Range Rover that consistently vibrated on the freeway even after all new wheels and tyres, drive shafts, suspension (eventuall bought back by the dealer after they couldn't remedy the issue)

If you want something different that will put a smile on your dial then buy the 265. If you want something "safe" and easy then buy the default choice which is the VAG stuff.

Renault Sport products aren't for everyone but for those that do appreciate them they're the only choice.

• Like 1

Engine mounts, thermostats and clutch slave cylinders seem to be the only things I've seen repeated problems with on the Megane. None of these are "big ticket" items if they fail. The rest of the car seems to be pretty bulletproof. Oh....and they eat expensive euro rubber if you drive them properly.

Disagree with Nick on the driving position. It was always a compromise with me and I was always an inch or two closer to the pedals than I'd like to get the steering wheel were I wanted it. I'm 180cm.

Edited by RBH58
  • Like 1

I just bought a 2015 265, so I can't comment on their reliability, but I love the car. In the 3 weeks I've had it I've only driven my 911 3 times. That's how much I like it.  My neighbor is a technical adviser for the RAA. Before I bought it I spoke to him about Renaults, and the Cup cars in particular.  He said they rarely get any issues relating to Renaults.

I have noticed this.  When it's hot (we've had some 40+ days recently) occasionally the RS monitor doesn't respond.  Turn car off, get out and reset it, get in and away you go.  Will tell the dealer when I go there next.  and the cup holder in front of the shifter is a useless waste of space.  It's in a really poor position.  You can't fit a coffee or a water bottle in it without if being on a pissy angle. Good for putting coins in though.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I've heard a lot of people tossing around the "Give it 4 years and your electrics will be as useless as a dickless nunn" (whatever that means), is there any truth to this? Anybody had any notorious circuit problems? 

That may have been true in the '90s, but around 1999 it looks like Renault decided to fire every single Electrical connector and wiring person in France and replace it with Bosch and Siemans wiring components.

The European Auto Manufacturing scene is fairly small in terms of the number of players. Since changing over to German wiring systems there's no more problems than with any other type of car. Certainly none of the wiring problems that you see on Mercedes (biodegradable wiring-harnesses) for example. None of the BMW wiring problems of 2001-2006 ever seem to be found in Renaults.

It's as if Renault got to the 100 year mark, and said to it's wiring/electrics people "You're all fired. 100 years and you failed to get French electrics right. We're going German with our Electrics. Merci beaucoup".

• Like 1

Looks like a nice car, I have owned a black car the colour is a high maintenance one. Great when clean and really shows of the lines but can be get dirty very quickly.  If your happy with it then buy it. Honestly where can you buy such a high performance vehicle thats only 2 years old for under $30,000. I really did my research and although admittedly would be the first to put up my hand not to buy a French made car (due to their poor reputation in the past) I accept that times have changed. I am old enough to remember if you bought a Toyota it was called "Jap Crap" Look at Toyota now.

:thanks:

• Like 1

Not a 265 but my nephew has an  2011 RS250 that has done almost  150,000 klms and it has been faultless and is still like new to drive,amazingly tight and brilliant performance .

Peter.

Only electrical issue I had was with the window winder in my old 225 (3 door) - this had to be done twice, but is a common fault. 

Haven't heard of issues with the same item in 250/265s......hopefully they've addressed this one with the new car.

I am old enough to remember if you bought a Toyota it was called "Jap Crap" 

:thanks:

Still are on this forum...   :news:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned my RB8 for a couple of months now. In a word, Awesome!

The Golf GTI, it's the safe choice for any semi enthusastic hot hatch driver, my mum owned one for heavens sake.  However if your going down that road I'd check out the following;
My09 GTi Pirelli, great car, K04 turbo, upgraded intercooler, low compression engine, DSG gear box, lowered suspension, customer interior, German made with a number of shared Audi parts as a pre-curser to the Golf R.  Mine went for 163,000 kms until I sold it. That said, it did the ABS Pump and Control Module which cost around $3200 to replace. This means no ESP or ABS (Which can be a good thing), I drove it with this problem for 2 years without an accident.  8/10 car expect to pay $16k / $17k  for a good one. 

My12 Golf Gti Edition 35. Simlar to the story above, upgraded parts and with the Golf R engine de-tunned. Get the DSG if your sitting in traffic, a simple APR tune with crank out a heap of power without effecting 99% of components. 9/10 car $28k.  I didn't bye one of these as I decided for the more track focused Megane RB8 (Which still had 18 months warranty). 

The Megane RS265, I've got the RB8 and I'm pretty stoked, forget the fact you look like a redbull rep with the stickers on your car and you pick up a lot of car for the money, unique paint job, leather Recaros, R-link screen, 19inch alloys, stop start tech, and a heap of looks and fun to drive.  $30k -  $33k. Give or take on km's & condition.
If your going to go B-road driving on the weekend and do the odd track day or performance driving course the Megane will clean the floor with the GTi or the Golf R. Yep city driving can be a pain in the ass, but if you want a drivers car which can't be matched without buying a Porche Cayman, then you want the RS 265.  (I tested all of the above prior to purchase). 

Just my two cents, Go the Megane RS265 8.08, RB7, RB8, Trophy R or if you have too, the Golf GTi Edition 35.  Happy hunting. :)

• Like 1

I have a 2013 RS trophy +, got it around 1 yr old, now I've had it for around 1.5yrs. No issues apart from the folding front right wing mirror creaking when folding, and the "rabbit ears" on the right rear window rubber seal ... a common problem usually fixed under warranty (again, next service). 

I really like the interior. A friend of mine says it looks old and isn't that nice. Sure, when you've got out of a ... well a car much more expensive! And a car which is usually a lot less reliable (eg Merc C class). But I got out of the new M4 back into the Megane very happily. I think it's the important items like the dash/speedo area which looks very nice with a classy dial setup and an informative and intuitive little trip computer screen, with a sat nav screen up near the windscreen where it should be. And great seats (I have the electric perforated leather seats which are unbeatable in my mind), and the steering wheel which feels beautiful. Everything else is just paraphernalia, which I used to love when I knew nothing about cars (i.e. when I was driving MBs around). 

I think part of the problem is that Renault in general has poor reputation, but that includes all the cars including the really crap ones cobbled together in places where they have no roads. The RSs are all assembled in Dieppe, which I understand means a lot more. It's like the difference between a C class made in South Africa vs an old E class made in Germany. Somehow it makes a big difference. And you usually can feel it, unless it's all in my head. 

To give you an example I had a 2002 Renault Laguna for 7 yrs from brand new (please don't hate me, I had no taste back then) and the coil assemblies failed twice. But that was it. It wasn't an RS. Maybe one rattle by the time I sold it (i.e. 50 less than the ML270 my mum had when it was a few months old, also from new). 

I also feel that it's such a great car even if something did happen I'd forgive it. It's such a blessing to have a car like this available to buy. And we're spoilt for choice nowadays, but this seems to be the cream of the crop. 

And regarding reliability - well the VWs you've mentioned are either bullet proof or lemons. I've been stung once in the VAG bag and I'm not going back. So I reckon a bit of roulette if you go with the GTI or R. VW claims it will honour issues outside warranty but that basically means they won't charge you full price for the parts. The labour and all that will sting. 

You've also mentioned the prices second hand - well that's just the resale; which means that you shouldn't worry about your resale - if you got it for a bargain you pay a price later. I don't think it means there's something to worry about. I'd recommend keeping an eye out on the classifieds section on this forum as usually people who are fastidious over their cars can pass on their darling to another car nut, and without the dealer runaround you have to go through. 

By all means check out all the things you need to, but it looks like a good buy to me. There are other threads on checklists etc and what to look out for. 

Good luck! Enjoy shopping! 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

That may have been true in the '90s, but around 1999 it looks like Renault decided to fire every single Electrical connector and wiring person in France and replace it with Bosch and Siemans wiring components.

The European Auto Manufacturing scene is fairly small in terms of the number of players. Since changing over to German wiring systems there's no more problems than with any other type of car. Certainly none of the wiring problems that you see on Mercedes (biodegradable wiring-harnesses) for example. None of the BMW wiring problems of 2001-2006 ever seem to be found in Renaults.

It's as if Renault got to the 100 year mark, and said to it's wiring/electrics people "You're all fired. 100 years and you failed to get French electrics right. We're going German with our Electrics. Merci beaucoup".

That's because the French will never get electrics right. I've had a few issues with my Twingo, which is on the current gen electrical and switchgear, so the French still assemble it all and you're at the mercy of their wire placement. I hate to say it but the Golf will be more reliable in years to come, but the driving experience of the 265 is incredible, it's not worth fussing over the details to end up in the boring Golf.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys!

I'm looking to get a new car. I am torn between a GTI, Golf R or Megane 265 cup. To me, the Megane looks a no brainer, as they are the cheapest of the 3 for something more fun, and newer... which rings alarm bells. 

To those who have had a Megane 265 (2013 onwards): What are the things to look out for? Are they reliable cars as far as cars go? Is there any reason why I should be hesitant looking at these cars given their attractively cheap prices? 

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Megane-2014/OAG-AD-7907348/?Cr=0

This is one I'm looking at for reference. 

TIA!

I have a 2014 Megane RB8 - purchased for 28k with only 18,000 on the clock, and 12 months rego.

Aside from the performance, it is actually fairly roomy with decent luggage space ( I had an NC MX5 and got jack of the lack of room ).

Suspension is definitely track focused, whereas the golf is certainly softer in this respect.

As everyone else said, the cup-holder is useless, but aside from that, the interior is really well put together, and it has every feature you could ask for. Personally, I'm not a major audio-phile, hence I have no complaints at all with respect to the stereo.

Took it for a good service and inspection by the guys at RenaultSport who really know their stuff. Verdict = perfectly healthy, low km car - good to go for another 10,000kms. Their only recommendation was to give it a wheel alignment. The service and inspection was around $300 odd - not bad when you consider my wife's first service on her Yaris was $210...

I recently went on a track day, and in spite of the 40 degree heat, the car held up perfectly.

The bang for buck factor is very hard to ignore. Take one for a test drive - you won't be disappointed.

Indeed. Alive and well and trying to ignore that their Lotus has a T*yota engine.

Mods ban please

Renault are very reliable . Have had plenty in the family . Much more reliable than the families prior Audi and BMW and Porsche

Edited by rob 240
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am looking to buy a 2012 Renault Megane Sport RS265 Cup X95 with 48,000 kms on the clock for $19,000 Australian. Anyone got any feedback owning a car of a similar year etc - how reliable what to look for maintenance issues etc. Generally feedback seems good great to drive just not sure on maintenance $$ and if there any inherent issues etc. Cheers!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Before you by your Renault take the plastic engine cover off and inspect for any oil weeping or residue around the rocker cover bolts or Ignition coils.

The vehicle may be mechanically fine with this minor oil weeping, but this will cause oil to cook off and an oily coal smell to enter the cabin.

This may be caused by the rocker cover seal failing. To fix this problem will either require the rocker cover being redone which will require all the belts to also be replaced. 

Or a shorter term fix by resealing the bolts individually. I purchase a mechanically sound 265 trophy+ with 37 km on the clock only to discover this annoying issue. 

Although I love the car It took some time to figure out first what the problem was exactly and also how to solve it. 

Also check how much disc is left on the brakes, before you buy and take that into consideration as you may buy a car which will require new discs in a few months. 

Note if your A/C is unusually noisy might mean its on its way out, should that fail its a pain the arse to replace or an expensive trip to the garage.

On 10/02/2019 at 3:19 PM, Bill29 said:

How much are parts to fix this AC issue? pully, condenser? 
mine has been squeaking for about 12 months now. 

The issue for arm/ elbow to window seal is annoying cos its too high. I like to sit low but want to cruise with my arm on the window seal. 

On 26/05/2018 at 3:45 PM, Daneil said:

I am looking to buy a 2012 Renault Megane Sport RS265 Cup X95 with 48,000 kms on the clock for $19,000 Australian. Anyone got any feedback owning a car of a similar year etc - how reliable what to look for maintenance issues etc. Generally feedback seems good great to drive just not sure on maintenance $$ and if there any inherent issues etc. Cheers!

My 2014 Meg 265 has nearly 190,000km. I've replaced engine mounts and tie rod ends as wear items, along with service/consumables such as brake discs, timing belt etc.

Reliability-wise it has been outstanding. 

Brakes etc are more expensive than most cars, as it is a performance model. But a good independent mechanic with reputable third-party parts (eg DBA discs, EBC pads, Bridgestone tyres) will save you some cash.

• Like 3

To fix my AC compressor + assembly cost about $2.5k ball park figure. The Issue was finding the correct part then the labour. The job is laborious as the tech needs to get in under the engine by lifting it up and access a part of the sub frame to replace the unit then put it all back together, also throw in a regas and your good to go.

Please if anyone knows more about this than me please correct me. I don't pretend to know detailed technical knowledge of cars, I'm just sharing my experience in having the A/C compressor replaced by Mechanics. 

So long story short in my case $2.5k

In saying that I do love the car, I like what it does through corners, I like the boost. Really like that its a coupe as due to the nature of the auto market we are seeing fewer and fewer coupes being build in general, so if you want a three door hatch or just a smaller wheeler based tarmac rally car style thing in general its hard to find one these days.

Not even that its three door just finding something where the chassis is small enough to transition through corners right. My first car was a 1997 subaru impreza, sadly i've seen the wrx just get bigger, heavier and longer as time goes on, by which point you have a full sized sedan and are now competing in a completely different segment. I believe that people will look back on the 250-275s  as really cool cars in their time. Same way I feel about a 1998 wrx sti. I suppose the argument for there are better/ faster cars out there , true there are but not for the price, audi S1 breaks bank, S3, VW golf r...bank, wrx not what it was, evo, bank some are now classic (6.5) 'which isn't cooked', Focus ST not as focused 5d hatch, golf GTI not as focused, Mini Copper bank. Civic type R bank (looks like a video game) I actually like this car could I live with the way it looks all the time... no, It looks like it was drawn by a 14 year old. 

Point of this Rant, the Meganes sit in a very specific market segment which appeals to certain people who want a driver focus vehicle, its a pretty car and does what its supposed to do. 

• Like 2