Old But New

chiapoco

Hey guys,

Bought myself a RS182 Sport Cup in silver just last week, I've been giving it a proper run in of my own even though it's already got 120,xxx kms on it  :mrgreen:

I've got a few questions since I'm new to Clio ownership. Hoping you guys can answer them while I trawl through the rest of the Clio forums in search answers!

- Paint code. Anyone know a list of paint codes? if not all just the Silver so I can get some touch up paint made up

- There's a knocking sound somewhere beneath/mid of the car when I turn it off. Normal French thing or not?

- RSTuner a no brainer to have? From what I've seen it's mean't to help distribute torque better apart from the usual ability to be able to diagnose faults and what not. What sort of power increase does it have?

- Much like the meggy, I'm seeing talk that aftermarket airbox/cai actually cause more powerloss than anything else. Is that right? any decent options out there? perhaps just making my own one our of supercheap auto hoses and filters might do the job

- Roof Bars. My Clio came with Roof Bars but no key. Do genuine roof bars from renault have unique keys or are they generic?

- What kind of mods do people generally do on their Clio IIs? I take it the Clio for sale in the ads section with ITBs/LSD and all the rest of that goodness aren't common mods most do? I suspect it wouldn't be all that different from what I've seen the Megane boys and girls doing

Mr Clio handles better than my Megane. That's what I've felt anyway!

thanks all

Definitely yes to 98 RSTuner map. Yes to keeping the stock airbox, put a better filter in there if you like.

Mods - whiteline rear sway bar, new dampers and camber bolts.

I'll have more for you when I'm on the computer rather than the phone.

Paint code, go here: http://colorwebtech.ixell.com/index.php?index〈=en 
Type in "647" and scroll down to Renault and you will find "Gris Titan" in a number of varieties. GRIS TITAN 647 is the code for the 182 in Titanium Silver. The place you get the paint will be able to help you from there which one to use. 

182 Cup is tricky because of the larger, stronger hubs have 60mm bolt spacing on the strut to hub as opposed to the 54 mm on all the other Clio II sports. If you just want a road car, I Koni Yellows would be the obvious choice, but you can't get them for 60mm :(

You can go B14's or H&R coilovers; but these are quite expensive now. I think a fresh set of top mounts, fresh set of front dampers (these are cheap from the dealer), bushes and ball joints and you'll have a sweet little road car. I can't see myself recommending lowering the car for the sake of it; Eibach pro-lines if you must. Geometry goes to whack when you dump the Clio II's (I learnt the hard way) and you're better off with the travel and suppleness on the back roads. 

The quiet KTEC exhaust sounds nice and subtle on the 182 as well. 

The 98 RON RS-Tuner map makes a big difference to the mid-range. I would say that the peak power figure is probably no different, but it pulls in 3rd gear 60km/h - 110 km/h much better. Car also starts and performs much much better when cold. 

Whiteline rear sway bar on the stiffest setting is not "snap oversteer" at all, it puts the car into a nice neutral balance in the dry. In the wet it can be a little bit oversteery; only proper slide I had was on a racetrack with a big lift. A very very nice mod that makes the car feel totally different and super playful. 

I have a set of genuine roof bars on the 172, they come with some weird pentagon shaped key from memory. 

Quaife LSD not worth the cost for a road car. ITB's a big hassle to get properly tuned or use the KTEC GEN90... Not cheap either. You lose cruise control and ESP as well, which is not worth it for me on a road car. 

KTEC make an intake that is a hose and pod filter and it isn't cheap. They suggest that it makes power on the stock box, but the change is not significant. You can create the same thing yourself, but the standard airbox and a good filter is going to perform just as well. 

Have to record the sound for a listen to tell if it is normal or not. 

Edited by Tommo
  • Like 1

Tommo you're a champion, invaluable all of that! I've seen most of what you mentioned in the little trawling I've done but wasn't sure what it was like for everyone else. Right now, probably a 'refresh'  of the dampers, top mounts etc you mentioned sounds like a good idea, any rough ideas how much they go for through dealerships?

The knocking sound occurs for 5-7mins after I've switched the car off completely. Surely the exhaust shielding wouldn't be rattling for that long?! 

Next stop getting in touch with the Renotech / AP Automotive!!

ps. Any common Clio II faults to keep an eye for? steering wheel is looking quite at the very least :D

Edited by chiapoco

Oh yeah the exhaust ticks and pops as it cools off for a while. Normal! 

I think the front dampers were $150 or so, can't remember the rears (they were more expensive than the fronts though, somehow?)

Most common "faults" for me were innocuous dash lights: 

AIRBAG + SERV -> (wriggle the cable under the passenger seat = gone)
SERV + ABS (And no cruise control working) -> (sensor behind the brake has fallen out)

Aside from that it was a rock solid great car, never missed a beat. 

I agree with Tommo, i have tried a couple of different suspension setups, exhausts, brakes and have Quaife. if i was using it on the road, suspension refresh, braided lines, good fluid and maybe slightly stronger pads is all i'd do. For occasional track, same plus a spare set of wheels and stickier tyres, i never got on with the ARB but i appear to be the only one and my suspension setup wasn't standard. The ktec supersport stealth on the 172 is not too loud outside but drones like a bugger inside, not sure if it is the same on the 182 though.

Just drive the thing hard and keep it above 5k.

Put a set of half decent brake pads in and rip a hose off the factory airbox if you want noise.

Done

Sent from the Internet.

• Like 1

My 2 cents...

Camber bolts are worthwhile . Cheap, easy and probably made the biggest difference of anything to my car. I suspect the front end of mine was lacking bite due to the Eibach Sportlines that were on it when I purchased(too low, and too soft). Even with brand new RE002's it squealed like a pig and was literally 60% as tenacious as the 250 in terms of front end grip. Adding some camber really improved things, but I think that was at least in part covering up the issues of the springs.

I've been really happy with Whiteline arb. Exactly what Tommo said, entirely perceivable change to handling, changes the cars balance nicely.

Pure Motorsport top mounts and strut brace seem to be working well. My OEMS were knackered, so I replaced them with the PM kit. As I changed to coilovers at the same time, it's a little hard to say how much difference it made handling wise, but reducing flex can't hurt (Clio 2 has a LOT compared to 250). A few people have issues with the bearings in the kit, but touch wood mine have been fine several thousand km and 4 track days on fairly rough circuits.

RSTuner good option for sure. Performance gains aren't huge, but all the other improvements are well documented.

Airbox is a tricky one IMO... I know there is a heap of documentation from years ago saying most aftermarket ones are crap, but I'm not so sure... Ace did some testing on Deb's car recently, and found worthwhile gains from a few options (Deb's build thread I think). I've recently put on the Ktec item (lot's of money I know...), and I be hard pushed to say it isn't an improvement. I also changed to a 182 exhaust manifold and highflow exhaust, so not sure what contribution the intake made, but my car is 100% faster than it was before above 3000rpm. What I can say is that throttle response IS improved and it sounds wicked. Given that the Clio 2 is all about driving pleasure rather than outright speed, even if it only ticks those two boxes, that's a win in my book.

One other mod I'm glad I did was removing the spacers from under the rear of the seat. I'm pretty tall, so the driving position was somewhat irritating... Removing the spacers under the rear of the seat dropped my down 10-15mm, which doesn't sound much but does make a difference. It also rakes the seat base back a little, so reduces how much you slide forward under heavy braking. Only down side is that the seat become a little stiff to slide back and forth, as the base rubs on the floor carpet.

Final thing is weight reduction. Depends on what your intended use of the car is of course, but if you are happy to pull some things out or spend some money, gains to be had. Light wheels, light battery and removing the rear seats/ISO fix bars etc saves 40kg or so. That's similar to adding 8hp in terms of speed, but also helps you go around corners!

Enjoy :)

One other that I don't think has been mentioned above is engine mounts. There's a continuing debate about whether uprated are suitable for the road and that really depends on your intend use and how raw an experience you are willing to accept in order to get the best possible driving experience. Anyway, setting that little debate aside ... the stock engine mounts do wear out pretty easily and are worth keeping an eye on because even replacing worn ones with new OEM will improve feel and performance.   

I think the front dampers were $150 or so, can't remember the rears (they were more expensive than the fronts though, somehow?)

I got quoted $450 for 1 rear shock through Renault, even the service guy was laughing so if you are going for a refresh get aftermarket. Or eBay would have some OEM's for a better price

Edited by Renaultsport21

Not sure if I just missed it, but last of all is some decent tyres!

Think:
re003, PS3 (although getting dated imo), ku39 -> for road
ad08r, vents rs3, 595 rsr -> road/track

You'll love the tyre prices associated with clio ownership after owning a megane!

• Like 1

Tempe Tyres

'PS3 - $175/corner' ....  :nod:

Does the 172 and 183 share the same body panels, interior bits and bobs?

im assuming the exhaust is at least different?

The 183 is a special edition with lightweight alloy fibre composite panelling in the front wipers, side skirts and rear bumper, as well as thinner plastic throughout the engine under tray and guard liners. It also has side exit exhausts whereas the 172 has a single hidden rear exit muffler. Rumour has it that Matt205 was a test mule back in 2004 and still has the scars (and hooves) to prove it.

The 182, on the other hand, is much more similar to the 172 with a few minor interior tweaks, different suspenson/wheels and a twin-exit rear exhaust :wink:

• Like 4

The 183 is a special edition with lightweight alloy fibre composite panelling in the front wipers, side skirts and rear bumper, as well as thinner plastic throughout the engine under tray and guard liners. It also has side exit exhausts whereas the 172 has a single hidden rear exit muffler. Rumour has it that Matt205 was a test mule back in 2004 and still has the scars (and hooves) to prove it.

The 182, on the other hand, is much more similar to the 172 with a few minor interior tweaks, different suspenson/wheels and a twin-exit rear exhaust :wink:

:mrgreen: